A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Karrie hibiscuis seedlings - August 9th, 2005 at 09:31 PM
Ok here is my questions - A gentle man in town has many red hibiscuis seedlings in jiffypots for sale. They are about 4 to 6 inches tall and 3 dollars apeice. I need to know if I purchse these now and plant them outside will they winter ok? I really want some hibiscuis and hollyhock. I have seeds to plant I am getting ready to go prepair that area now and get them in the ground. I was just curious about these seedlings. His yard is beautiful with the plants I so want them and just cannot wait to have them. I just dont know what I would do with all these questions if I had not found you all! You folks and this forum is such a blessing!
Posted By: Aunt B Re: hibiscuis seedlings - August 10th, 2005 at 02:00 AM
I think they would do fine, Karrie. But please wait for more responses. I started one this spring. I've been growing it in a pot on my deck. I'm waiting for the weather to cool a bit before I pop it in the ground, it is about a foot tall.
Posted By: Carly Re: hibiscuis seedlings - August 11th, 2005 at 08:09 PM
Well, I don't know the environment of Indiana, of course. Probably better for that than Toronto would be.

If they were my plants, I'd cut them back and put them on a windowsill for the winter. I doubt very much they'd winter here.

Maybe you could leave one outside and bring the rest inside.

I do wish we could get them at 3 bucks and that small - I'd like to grow one from scratch.

I put some seeds into the scrub pot last week - wish me luck.
Posted By: Francine Re: hibiscuis seedlings - August 11th, 2005 at 09:25 PM
kerry,carly is right,leave only one outside for the winter and put the others inside ,you gonna see what it does.

carly,would you like some more hibiscus seed,i have a few if you like just pm me your address and it s gone.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]