A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: frustratedattimes OK , now I am really frustrated - March 30th, 2005 at 12:49 PM
I went to Wallly World, and purchased a couple of those miniature greenhouse kits, to start your flower seeds in, the ones with the peat pellets. Well, I have everything started except the lavender. Is there a special trick to getting Lavender to sprout? The Candytuft, Painted Daisies, Carnations, Jacobs Ladder, Licorice Mint, etc.... are all growing and are at least an inch tall. thumbup
BUT, NO LAVENDER!!!!!!!! mad frown mad
Posted By: Meg Re: OK , now I am really frustrated - March 30th, 2005 at 12:57 PM
Ya know.. I bought 2 kinds of Lavender.. one is early 1st year blooming.. it's called Lady Lavender. Then I also bought True Lavender, which they say is 2nd year blooming. My Lady Lavender got lots of sprouts, quickly. My True Lavender.. is going MUCH slower.. about 3 weeks later, I have a *couple* of sprouts. So, maybe it's the variety?

Meg
Posted By: frustratedattimes Re: OK , now I am really frustrated - March 30th, 2005 at 01:19 PM
The seed packet says it sprouts in 10 - 28 days, well its been 21 days and not one is sprouting,,grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr,,, going to try again,, I really want lavender in my flowerbeds next to the front door.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: OK , now I am really frustrated - March 30th, 2005 at 02:31 PM
Frustrated,
Did you happen to chill the seeds before
you planted them??
I always thought they had to get a cold spell
before they could sprout.. like about 6 wks??

Weezie
Posted By: tkhooper Re: OK , now I am really frustrated - March 30th, 2005 at 02:34 PM
is that what happened? I tried lavander once also from seed, got nothing.

Then I bought the plants and they lasted maybe a week.

I've stayed away from it since then.
Posted By: sidheblooms Re: OK , now I am really frustrated - March 31st, 2005 at 05:14 AM
hi there!

well i dont know..i got some really great seeds from an organic company, and i got my sprouts in 7 days. and now they are really taking off with about 90% success rate, and they are about 2.5 inches long. and i didnt do anything special with them.

seed quality has alot to do with it i think.

but dont give up hope, this is one of the nicest herbs out there, dont cha' think? grinnnn
Posted By: frustratedattimes Re: OK , now I am really frustrated - March 31st, 2005 at 01:21 PM
Nope, did not chill them, bought em at Wally World, brought them home and planted them. They are Burpee seeds though.

I thought maybe they needed light or no light,, and I screwed that up,,,,, since the seeds got both nutz frown . I am going to try again,, guess they will just be a late bloomer this year. I am also going to Burpee's website,, see if there are any tips there.

And yes they are great herbs.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]