A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: murphyette I need a lil' help... - September 16th, 2005 at 04:12 AM
I am in MI, zone...6? I think? My neighbors house is an eyesore. I want to put up 8ft trellises, and then obviously, plant something vining that stays green for all or most of the year. A big request for my zone, I know. Although, I could be happy with something that lasted until late fall, and started greening up in the early spring. I want something low maint. that I don't have to worry about cutting special so that the bottom of it doesn't become sparse. There isnt going to be alot of horizontal room for anything to bush out much (only 2ft. of width to play with, a bit less than that in some spots), so it has to be a good tight climber. I don't care if it flowers or not.
Suggestions?
Posted By: mike57 Re: I need a lil' help... - September 16th, 2005 at 05:22 AM
wavey HI murphyette English Ivy might be good choice.it might stay green all year in your zone i am in zone 7 and mine stays green.but it can be invasive it might try to spread onto your lawn.its just a idea.i am sure others will have more suggestions for you.hope this helps.your friend in gardening.mike57
Posted By: Bess of the Piedmont Re: I need a lil' help... - September 16th, 2005 at 09:16 PM
Here are some varieties:
http://www.naturehills.com/new/prod...&ovcrn=evergreen+vines&ovtac=PPC
Posted By: weezie13 Re: I need a lil' help... - September 16th, 2005 at 09:25 PM
How about a grape arbor...
Get two things for your $$....
A climbing vine and GRAPES!!!! grinnnn

Or HOPS, supposed to be a good climber
and make beer....

Or both???
Posted By: weezie13 Re: I need a lil' help... - September 16th, 2005 at 09:28 PM
Here's a quick little info page
with pictures to give you an idea!!!

(I wanted to grow them here, someday maybe!!)

Growing Hops At Home

Read the whole thing, lot's of good tid~bit's
of info..
and half way down has some good pictures of hops
and trellis ideas.. thumbup
Posted By: murphyette Re: I need a lil' help... - September 17th, 2005 at 12:00 AM
LOL...grapes and hops...hmmmm, somebody need a drink today?
There IS a grapevine at the end of the fence that I keep hacking back...Hmmm...
Posted By: Bess of the Piedmont Re: I need a lil' help... - September 17th, 2005 at 01:31 AM
I do! Is it the weekend, yet?

Here's a nice page of climber info:
http://www.thebotanicnursery.com/climbers.htm
Posted By: tkhooper Re: I need a lil' help... - September 17th, 2005 at 02:00 AM
I like kiwis and they are a vine too.

You could always do them in pots if you choose an invasive kind. That would help keep them in place. Unless of course they are self seeding (Morning glories).

Heronswood Nursery has a website with like over 100 climbers listed most with pictures. You might look that up.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]