A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: shermanslave i don't know what kind of plant I have. can you help? - July 20th, 2005 at 04:04 AM
I don't have a picture, but maybe I can describe it? It is a dark burgundy-ish purple and the leaves are shaped like little hearts or butterflies. Not very big, about 6 inches high. I don't know what it is called or how to take care of it. Sound familiar to anyone? Thank you so much.javascript:void(0)
Just a guess, maybe an Oxalis??? idea
That's it! thank you so much! Someone gave us one and I did nor know how to take care of it. thank you very much!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: i don't know what kind of plant I have. can you help? - July 26th, 2005 at 06:09 AM
Oxalis' have a winter dormant period that must be respected. Starting in September, stop fertilizing and gradually reduce the frequency of watering over the next month. The leaves will gradually die.

By mid October you should stop watering altogether and move your Oxalis to a cool, dark place where you can ignore it until February.

In February, you will see some signs of life. That is the signal that you can resume normal watering and fertilizing and move it to a sunny windowsill. Continue this routine until next September. It does best when moderately potbound.
Posted By: shermanslave Re: i don't know what kind of plant I have. can you help? - October 30th, 2005 at 12:27 PM
Mr. Creed,
Thank you so much for that advice. Perfect explanation of what is happening to our plant right now. Thanks to you, we can save it. Thanks!
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]