A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: LMT Veggie rotation question - August 3rd, 2005 at 05:35 AM
This is my current plan for next year:

PLOT #1: Beans -- Winter Rye (replaces Tomato)

PLOT #2: Carrot, Garlic*, Lettuce* and Radish (replaces Cucumber and Squash)

PLOT #3: Cucumber and Squash

PLOT #4: Pepper and Tomato

PLOT #5: Brocolli* and Cabbage*

* Indicates new items

() Indicates what's growing this year.

I left my peppers in pots this year.

Each year I move everything up one plot and move 5 to 1. It does result in a ton of beans but even I can preserve them. I can also pull them early and plant winter rye. That combination should help rejuvenate the soil a bit.

--

I grew beans at the end of the raspberry rows, I'm expanding the raspberries in their space.

I grew carrot and radish under my nectarine, that's about run its course.

--

Will my rotation or pairings be a likely problem?
Posted By: Tamara from Minnesota Re: Veggie rotation question - August 3rd, 2005 at 10:16 PM
I don't see any specific problems but I always find it best to divide the like items so that it confuses bugs and disease. I can't say as it makes a big difference but companion planting does make sense. So I would not put broc and caul together or peppers and tomatoes together or cuc and squash together. Are you planting garlic in spring or fall?
Posted By: LMT Re: Veggie rotation question - August 4th, 2005 at 12:08 AM
Garlic will go in this fall, about mid/early September. (I've settled on German Red.) A single row on the north side of the plot. The growth habbit of both cucumber and squash (summer) allow for it.

I'm less worried about insects then I am bacteria in the soil. Planting the same family in the same plot and not replanting for 5 years should elimiate that concern.

I am looking for companion options and it seems basil (which I already grow) and dill would provide covering fire for some plants.

--

Oh, my weepy peppers (5 days without water in 8" pots) are back to cranking with the water I gave them last evening and the additional water I gave them this morning.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]