A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: rozy221 Ants on peonies? - May 1st, 2005 at 04:37 AM
Every time I look at my peonies, I see ants hanging out near the flower bud. Is there something going on there that I should know about? Are they damaging the plant? Should I try to get rid of them, and, if so, how? Thanks for the help! wavey
Posted By: Meg Re: Ants on peonies? - May 1st, 2005 at 04:53 AM
Look for something smaller.. aphids. If you see a bunch of ants on your plants, then chances are, they are there to collect the honeydew the aphids create. Icky critters.. suck the life out of your plants.

Meg
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Ants on peonies? - May 1st, 2005 at 05:02 AM
Hey Rosy,

Where there are peonies there are ants, I even planted zinnia's right next door to them and used the nicotine tea. Ants aren't moving. they even built a nest/house/colony alittle farther down in the weed patch.
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Ants on peonies? - May 1st, 2005 at 05:16 AM
Ants won't hurt your peonies...

Peonies and Ants
Posted By: Meg Re: Ants on peonies? - May 1st, 2005 at 01:52 PM
Wow, that's cool to know Cindy. I wouldn't have thought about the flower having something sweet & attractive to the ants. But that makes sense! Thanks for the link! Now, I learned something new today. laugh wink

Meg
Posted By: rozy221 Re: Ants on peonies? - May 2nd, 2005 at 06:05 AM
Cool-Thank you very much Cindy-that's a relief-now I'll smile when I see the ants instead of grumble grinnnn
Posted By: Karin Winn Re: Ants on peonies? - May 2nd, 2005 at 04:46 PM
Peonies and ants go together. I've heard they eat the "green" over the bud, and therefore are helpful. I remember as a child (AGES ago) when I'd stand at the hedge row of peonies my grandmother had and try to get all the ants off the buds. Those peonies made the most beautiful display........enjoy!
Posted By: Fernie Re: Ants on peonies? - May 2nd, 2005 at 05:10 PM
I was told that the ants were necessary for pollination.
Posted By: JAKE Re: Ants on peonies? - May 12th, 2005 at 05:31 PM
The flowers will not open if not for the ants. I've planted them in order to draw them away from certain areas and towards the plants instead. Seems to work well thus far.
smile
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]