A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: tdodson Replacement for Wax Myrtle/Bayberry - September 3rd, 2005 at 02:38 AM
Hi, I'm new to this forum, hope you all can help me out.

Recently I bought a house, and the deck attached to the house has wax myrtles planted beside the deck. The deck is about 4 feet off the ground, and the railing is 7 feet from the ground. I like the privacy the wax myrtles have created so far this summer, but fear that they will become more tree-like and get out of hand.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a plant that could replace these wax myrtles to provide some privacy, but won't grow 20ft tall?

PS. The soil here consists of mostly red clay and rocks.
Posted By: RugbyHukr Re: Replacement for Wax Myrtle/Bayberry - September 3rd, 2005 at 04:22 AM
photinia, mountain laurel, rose of sharon, chinese hibiscus, blue hibiscus 'alyogyne', camellia, dodonaea
Posted By: Magnolia4moi Re: Replacement for Wax Myrtle/Bayberry - November 28th, 2005 at 10:49 PM
To answer the question per wax myrtle...They can be trimmed back & will grow more bushier. You can hack it off at the base & it will sprout back out. We have them growing wild here, but I noticed that subdivisions are planting them, also hotels have them around the swimming pools.

The biggest thing that this is also called "Flea Bush" it expells fleas.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]