A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: The Plant Doc How do you....? - December 17th, 2004 at 10:25 PM
Howdy folks,
I am trying to create a bank of ideas that people do to keep deer and other critters from munching on your landscape and gardens during both the growing season and winter months. Old wives tales are more then welcome. They don't even have to work. I am just looking for whatpeople have tried.

Thanks in advance

Mike
Posted By: geegeeburr Re: How do you....? - December 17th, 2004 at 11:25 PM
The only one I know is the one that probably everybody knows, which is peeing wherever you don't want them to go.
Posted By: Dixie Angel Re: How do you....? - December 18th, 2004 at 12:13 AM
We buy "deer corn" and set it out in the back 3 acres during the winter. During the Spring we have never had deer eat our vegetable garden or my plants! Maybe they figure they better not go where they are not wanted or they might lose out on their free meal! wink

Dianna
Posted By: Longy Re: How do you....? - December 18th, 2004 at 02:19 AM
The japanese use/used a bamboo deer scarer.
Google "bamboo deer scarer" for more info.
They're great as a moving water feature in a pond.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: How do you....? - December 29th, 2004 at 11:46 PM
I must have missed this one...

There's several things that can be used to deter them..
Hanging bars of scented soaps,
Planting plants on the outer perimeter that they would have to walk thru to get into the gardens,
like, alliums and mints, that would exume a smell when they trample thru them...
***the deer need to be able to smell prey that's around or stalking them, and if they trample thru or eat things that masks their ability to smell them. **Now if starving, that rule may not apply**
Also poisnous ones too, like daffodils.....

Also, laying down like a plastic fencing in front of or behind your garden, when walking, deers want to have a steady footing. If they walk onto the the plastic fencing in one place, first it feels funny under their feet and second, it will wiggle down a bit connecting to the spot that they stepped on, will move, and startle them.....

Yep, I've heard of the peeing one too, everytime you're out in your garden to mark your scent where you can..

There's a few others too....
I'll finish this one up tonight, got another
Christmas dinner I have to cook!!! :rolleyes:

Weezie
Posted By: LaurieAnn Re: How do you....? - January 2nd, 2005 at 04:00 PM
We interplant aromatic herbs, which really seems to help. Of course, having an almost 100-lb german shepard might be part of the reason the deer stay away. LOL!
Posted By: suzydaze Re: How do you....? - January 6th, 2005 at 07:58 PM
laugh laugh laugh No wonder I have never had deer. Hubby's like a dog out there marking. I think he thinks he can't go out side with out doing it. :rolleyes:
Posted By: Dixie Angel Re: How do you....? - January 7th, 2005 at 03:05 PM
Suzy, you ought to have him "mark" on your compost pile! Tell him to quit wasting it! laugh

Dianna
Posted By: suzydaze Re: How do you....? - January 7th, 2005 at 03:28 PM
Dixie Angel

He wouldn't listen to me laugh laugh he just whips it out and goes where he wants to.

Is it good for the compost pile?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: How do you....? - January 7th, 2005 at 03:43 PM
must be from living out in the woods, 'cause my husband never did it till we move to the woods... now :rolleyes:
Posted By: Dixie Angel Re: How do you....? - January 7th, 2005 at 04:07 PM
I have read that it is a form of liquid nitrogen, Suzy. teech What does the queen of compost say about this? Weezie? wink

Dianna
Posted By: weezie13 Re: How do you....? - January 7th, 2005 at 04:33 PM
As far as I've ever understood thumbup PEE ON THE PILE AND YOU frown CAN'T/ shk

Weezie
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]