A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Bestofour Wierd animal potatoes - August 8th, 2005 at 06:47 AM
what is up with my potatoes? I dug these out of the garden today. They are all stuck together like conjoined potatoes. They look like some type of wierd animals. Wonder why this happened.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Wierd animal potatoes - August 8th, 2005 at 07:38 AM
did you plant whole potatoes with multiple eyes on them?
Posted By: Bestofour Re: Wierd animal potatoes - August 8th, 2005 at 06:04 PM
No, we cut them up and planted one eye in each mound. Years ago, my used to be inlaws, planted potatoes and I would help. They always came out beautiful. Looking just like potatoes. Don't know what happened with these. They taste good though.
Posted By: thebearswoman Re: Wierd animal potatoes - August 8th, 2005 at 08:48 PM
I'm not sure what happened to those potatoes! But, they sure look really COOL!!! I'll ask the plant doc to come & see if he can answer your question, OK.
Posted By: The Plant Doc Re: Wierd animal potatoes - August 8th, 2005 at 09:10 PM
Wow! You can have a lot of sick fun with those taters and a Mr. Potatoe Head game!!!

They are growing like that for one or both of two reasons.

1. Over fertilization

2. Soil compaction

When I lived back in NY with a heavy clay soil, I had the same problem with carrots, and you should have seen some of the weird shapes that came out of those. Try adding some vermiculite or perlite to the soil this should help the problem.

Hope this helps

Mike
Posted By: Bestofour Re: Wierd animal potatoes - August 9th, 2005 at 05:38 AM
We do have clay soil. Thanks.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]