A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: plantlady19 Hoya Blooming - July 21st, 2004 at 06:12 PM
Hey! Does anyone know how to stimulate blooming in a hoya? idea I've had mind or a few years and it has only bloomed twice. Once when I first adopted it and then last month. I do love it though, blossoms or no. luv
Posted By: plantlady19 Re: Hoya Blooming - July 28th, 2004 at 05:20 PM
seriously....
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Hoya Blooming - July 30th, 2004 at 01:25 AM
To bloom, a Hoya should have a lot of bright indirect light all day and a few hours of direct light, as well. In addition, keep it potbound and on the dry side and don't change its location. Disturb it as little as possible. Do NOT use a high nitrogen fertilizer.

After flowers are spent, do not remove the flower stalk because that is where new flowers will emerge the following year. Be careful not to overfertilize, especially during the semi-dormant winter period. Overfeeding causes bud drop.
Posted By: plantlady19 Re: Hoya Blooming - August 5th, 2004 at 07:15 PM
Will. Thanks a bunch! thumbup
Posted By: frayedknottus Re: Hoya Blooming - August 11th, 2004 at 04:01 AM
I'm feeling somewhat neglectful. I have had a hoya for 21 years now. It started as a small plant and now uses up a corner in my bedroom. I have moved this plant for the first 7 years and watered and repotted.... all because I wasn't familiar with the way to get it to bloom.

Now, I have only moved the thing once in the past 7 years. (Just now) Into a bedroom that gets lots of sunshine, rather than the living room with less sunshine. I have even fertilized it.....

But... it has nevered bloomed.

The snippet I gave to my mom keeps blooming whenever I am about. Her pot is much smaller, and so is her plant. She also has a better set up for light.

Is there any hope? Will it take another 20 years? I'm willing to hang in there as it is a beautiful plant.

Thanks
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]