A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Connie_d how to grow a lawn? - April 26th, 2004 at 10:52 PM
i just moved into a new home, complete with a muddy, bare lawn. being totally ignorant when it comes to growing anything, i don't know where to start.
should i till, then plant seed, or should i seed, then till?
please help!
Posted By: gardengal Re: how to grow a lawn? - April 26th, 2004 at 11:02 PM
Hi there,
When we've planted a new grass area, my hubby and I have used seeds (we use a fescue blend for our area). First we tilled the area so the ground wasn't packed down too hard and leveled it out as much as we could. Then we spread the seed using one of those little seed sprayers (the kind you turn the crank on the side and they fling everywhere). Then we put down peat moss over the whole area making sure to cover it well. Then turn the sprinklers on and make sure it gets plenty of water. You'll want to make sure it gets lots of water the first couple of weeks. Once it starts really sprouting you can slowly go to a normal watering schedule. Then when its all pretty tall (5-6"), give it a haircut. grinnnn That's how we've done it and its worked. Others might have better ideas so keep on checking back. muggs
Posted By: Connie_d Re: how to grow a lawn? - April 26th, 2004 at 11:13 PM
thanks gardengal, i will be sure to give it a try!
Posted By: obywan59 Re: how to grow a lawn? - April 28th, 2004 at 05:53 PM
I would probably mow a bit sooner than gardengal did as you don't want to cut off so much at one time. However, you SHOULD mow at the very highest setting on your mower for a few times until your grass is better established.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]