A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: dlmwarden a buggy problem - October 30th, 2003 at 12:57 AM
Hi I have a few plotted plants that seem to have this very tiny white mite, only on the soil though and i found them when i was watering my plants, can someone help me with this buggy problem.......thanks donna
Posted By: Anonymous Re: a buggy problem - October 30th, 2003 at 11:27 PM
Can you provide a more detailed description of the critters that you are seeing?
Posted By: TomR Re: a buggy problem - November 2nd, 2003 at 02:33 AM
Originally posted by dlmwarden:
Hi I have a few plotted plants that seem to have this very tiny white mite, only on the soil though and i found them when i was watering my plants, can someone help me with this buggy problem.......thanks donna
It's more than likely a soil mite or a Springtail. Springtails....wait for it........Spring!

They are no harm to the plants, they feed off damp organic matter in the soil. To control allow the top half of the soil to dry out more often. Insecticides aren't normally recommended for them.
Nearly everyone has one or the other in a few of their plants. Most won't admit it though!

Tom
Posted By: njoynit Re: a buggy problem - November 5th, 2003 at 07:37 PM
if its just the soil would not think spider mites but the do live in soil also you just usually see themm on the plant.i get them on my hibiscus but not this year*knock on wood*I use garden safe insecticidial sopa& this is the time of year to buy it as its on clearance most places.I buy the concentrate and mix it up.it kills aphids,mealybugs,mites,leafhoppers,scale,thrips& whiteflys and a few others

I had a goast like looking bug in soil last year in my cyclamens& used chamomile tea on them and it worked.was actually for a seed damping off solution and figured what the heck.least my soil smelled good& the bug whatever it was did go away.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]