A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: weezie13 Does any one make tintures, balms, sauves, lotions, etc.? - October 2nd, 2003 at 08:48 PM
Does any one make tintures, balms, sauves, lotions, poltices, etc.?
Just curious for their ingredients and how to do it safely???
I have read one book on the herbal medicines,
but wouldn't mind getting into all that some day.
But really want to know the correct way to do it??
Weezie
Posted By: njoynit Re: Does any one make tintures, balms, sauves, lotions, etc.? - October 9th, 2003 at 09:44 PM
If i get a cut...will snip some aloe plant and rub on spot and wrap up in foil and keep on microwave and then when done useing will root it in soil.
lavendar is relaxing added to water
can remove stickers by mixing brownsugar& dishsoap and wraping in gauze...2 hours latter it should be out.I've done 3 times...mainly pear cactus thorns& a rose thorn once...it broke off when trying to remove
Posted By: njoynit Re: Does any one make tintures, balms, sauves, lotions, etc.? - October 17th, 2003 at 05:17 PM
Helpful headache remedy:
run a warm bath combine these essential oils with an emulsifier(cream or honey if ya don't know)3 drops of chamomile,3 drops of lavendar,3 drops of rosemary add to bathwater
Poultices for pain

cold compress.miosten cloth in some cool water with 2 drops of peppermint oil for 15 minutes

potato poultice 2 large potatoes peeled/boiled mashed press out moisture wrap warm mixture in cloth place on back of neck for 15 minutes.
horseradish poultice finely grate horseradish add small amount of water apply to neck no longer than 5 minutes will stimulate skin& relieve headache if have sensitive skin apply lotion 1st

quick headache relief few drops of fresh lemon drops in black coffee drink in small sips

Parsely
parsely wine...improves blood circulation 10-12 large sprigs parsley 1 qt red/white wine boil 10 minutes add 9 oz honey strain& pour in bottles take 1 tsp 3 times a day

parsely spread
2 bunches parsely
2 shallots
1/2 c heavy cream
2TBslemon juice
1 c sour cream
salt
pepper(white is beter)
2 scallions
4 lg tomatos cayenne pepper
course chop parsely after washingpeel dice shallots
mix heavy cream,cream cheese,lemon juice,parsely diced shallots season salt& pepper
peel scallions cut into rings thinnly dice2 tomatos season salt cayenne mix
cut remaining 2 tomatoes into 1/2 slices cover with parsely spread and top with tomato mixture

makes a great snak from the garden
parsely helps enhance magnesium absorbtion which is good when takeing high doses of calcium for osteoprpsis in supplement form
you can wash& dry parsely leaves and freeze in container for cooking use just remove amount you need for cooking
cooked parsely looses its vitamens add at last minute& itialion parlsey is higher in nutruients

olive oil
take 1 Tbs on empty stomch to relieve upset stomach& heartburn& will aid in digestion
1tsp olive oil 1tsp lemon juice on empty stomach will ease constipation
will prevent hair loss massage into scalp nightly for 8 days let it work overnight and wash out in morning
ear aches.place luckewarm olive oil in ear lie on side for 5 minutes then turn over so it can run out or soak cotton ball in olive oil and add 5 drops lavendar oil place lightly in ear untill pain is gone
I'll do more tomorrow wavey
Posted By: njoynit Re: Does any one make tintures, balms, sauves, lotions, etc.? - October 23rd, 2003 at 06:58 PM
HONEY
mainly used for a sweetner but has many more uses even healing uses.it can replenish energy& strengthen you if weak from sickness or stress.calm the mind,help you sleep.releive indigestion& respitory
a thin coat of honey on the skin will disinfect a cut or scrape& help heal is good on chapped lips
1TBs honey has 64 calories compaired to 1 TBs of sugar that has 46
relaxing honey bath:2oz honey in glass with 5 drops of lavendar oil add to hot water and will help you relax and will slep zzzzz well
honey healing cuts:honey draws the water& moisture out of a cut helps reduce swelling& has a germ killing substance called inhibine that helps prevent infection
helps hayfever:has grains of pollen that over time may help desensitiveize your allergys
relief of cough,asthma,bronchitus& respitory stuff:
1tsp fresh thyme
mix in some honey and take as needed to soothe lungs& airways

Immune deficientcy
it protects the body.if is weakened you get sick easier.it can worsen with X rays,poor nutrution,alchoal& smokeing& poolutants.vitamens& exercise are good the most effective herbal remedy is echinacea others are siberian ginsing,wild indigo,thuja& chamomile
vitamens C&E are antioxidents& help protect against canser. vitamane A helps strengthen immune system(1 carrot has enough V itamen a for 1 daily dose)1 orange has enogh vitamen C& 2 tbs vegatable oil has enough vitamen E for 1 day
immune cocktail:
3 carrots
,1 orange
1 apple
half a beet through the juicer make fresh daily
vitamen jolt for smokers:
1TBS juice from sea buckthorn berries daily for extra vitamen C smokers need extra of daily cause of smokeing
natural antibacterials:
freshly grated garlic,horseradish or onions
healing inhaleation:
hot steam bath with mint oils kills bacteria in mucas membranes
natural immune booster
try a natural remedy containeing misstletoe extract or siberian ginsing,
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Does any one make tintures, balms, sauves, lotions, etc.? - October 23rd, 2003 at 07:53 PM
njoynit, everything you say about honey is accurate (as far as I know) but I have one caution:

DO NOT FEED HONEY TO A BABY UNDER 1 YEAR OLD.

Their immune system cannot handle it and it is the leading cause of infant botulism. However, around a child's first birthday, their bodies can handle it and life is good!!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Does any one make tintures, balms, sauves, lotions, etc.? - October 23rd, 2003 at 09:54 PM
Njoynit,
I have got to ask,
where did you learn all this???
You are giving some great info!!!
THANK~YOU!!

Weezie
Posted By: njoynit Re: Does any one make tintures, balms, sauves, lotions, etc.? - October 24th, 2003 at 08:52 PM
botanicle herb index.I look a few up each day.some are just more interesting.I have a home remedy book too& are quite a few in there as well
Posted By: lizheaemma Re: Does any one make tintures, balms, sauves, lotions, etc.? - November 19th, 2003 at 04:27 PM
Ya, I love this a section for herb and homemade products! I make creams and lipbalm and stuff like that when I have the time. I have a great book on makeing your own cosmetics I'll have to look for it.... it's got to be in one of these book cases! I really must get more organized!
Posted By: Zooeygirl Re: Does any one make tintures, balms, sauves, lotions, etc.? - December 5th, 2003 at 05:26 AM
Well this may not be the right place to ask but I will regardless as it is related. I recently acquired a recipe to make incense but amounts and sizes were missing. If I was to post some of those recipes, could ya maybe help me figure out amounts?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Does any one make tintures, balms, sauves, lotions, etc.? - December 5th, 2003 at 05:34 AM
Zooey,
First, welcome to the garden helper!! Second, there isn't a "wrong" place to ask anything as that is why Bill (the webmaster) is such a great guy. He will steer you in the right direction if one of the forum hostesses don't do it first!

personally, I think this is as good a place as any, unless you would want to start a new topic (which is what I am going to do when I finish this). I would be interested in learning how to make incense. The hubby and I used to use it pretty regular to make where ever we were living seem more like home. Use potpourri more nowadays, but still interested!
Posted By: Jillie Re: Does any one make tintures, balms, sauves, lotions, etc.? - December 5th, 2003 at 07:57 AM
My oldest daughter has been making fruit and botanical scented salves and balms with shea butter as a base. She buys the butter in bulk online. They're WONDERFUL. It makes skin feel velvety and the fragrances are yummy. She uses strawberry, grapefruit, lemon, mint, bergamot, rosemary.....Ah! Divine!
smile
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Does any one make tintures, balms, sauves, lotions, etc.? - December 5th, 2003 at 03:11 PM
Kinda easy to do???
Weezie
Posted By: Jillie Re: Does any one make tintures, balms, sauves, lotions, etc.? - December 5th, 2003 at 04:19 PM
It's kinda really easy. I think my daughter even uses the microwave on a very low setting to melt the shea butter. She buys super-concentrated essential oils for the fragrance (being an apartment-dweller and not a gardener). I thought of steeping my mint geranium leaves in warm mineral oil.....hmmmm
idea
Posted By: Jillie Re: Does any one make tintures, balms, sauves, lotions, etc.? - December 5th, 2003 at 04:27 PM
Njoyinit,
I remember potato poltices from my childhood. My Grandma also made bread & milk poltices to draw out infection. She also had a chest-congestion remedy: A small rag soaked in lamp oil, stuffed inside a dirty (yes, had to be dirty grinnnn
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]