A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Jean advice needed - August 11th, 2003 at 09:28 AM
Hi, I am new to the forum! I have a cute little house with a front porch facing north. I have been trying earnestly to create a cottage garden look, natural, unsculpted, perennial, but it is just not working. Partly because I love to be out there in the spring, but once the heat and humidity arives in July (central Connecticut River Valley),I hate to be outside, I become an air condition hound, so the garden gets neglected. It seems as though I need to find some low maintenance shrubs/bushes that tolerate a shady soil, which probably isn't the best,I'd also like color and texture too. It's about 2 - 3 feet to the bottom of the porch, in a single line, although I could add depth. I am so tired of it looking horrible. Please help! eek
Posted By: Lefse Re: advice needed - August 11th, 2003 at 10:38 AM
Hi, welcome!
Is this an absolutely "no sun" site? Or is there some morning or afternoon sun?
Do you want only perennials? Or Are low maintenance annual plants OK?
Posted By: Jean Re: advice needed - August 11th, 2003 at 11:42 AM
The left corner gets some late afternoon sun. I think I'm leaning towards bushes, accenting with hosta and possibly a few annuals. I hate to spend the money every year!
Posted By: Bestofour Re: advice needed - August 13th, 2003 at 06:33 PM
Different types of hosta will give you pretty textures and color. Also caladiums will add the touch of red. May want to stick in a few ferns. There are perrenial geraniums that like the shade. Depending on how much room and how big of plants you want, daphne a dora's are great. They bloom in February and smell great.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]