A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: BFVISION Michigan Sauce for hotdogs - July 4th, 2005 at 11:08 PM
As a kid I always stopped by a favorite hotdog stand in upstate NY and got the best dogs that had Michigan sauce on them. Dont know why it was called Michigan sauce, nobody I met in Detroit ever heard of it.Its a thick,red tomato based sauce that you top with raw onions. Havent seen it since and my siblings are all trying to find it first. Anyone ever heard of this type of topping? It was great!
Appreciate any tips!
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: Michigan Sauce for hotdogs - July 5th, 2005 at 02:26 AM
I have never heard of it..but hope somebody can fill us in...it sounds yummy! It made me think of the coney's we get at Coney Island in Tulsa! They have a chile sauce on them that is very different, it is also topped with finely grated onions...I crave them a lot! We have to stop every time we are close and pick up a dozen or so. Man are they good!
Posted By: mike57 Re: Michigan Sauce for hotdogs - July 6th, 2005 at 06:53 AM
HI wavey i think i found what your looking for heres a link for you
http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,michigan_hotdog_sauce,FF.html
hope its what your looking for.your friend in gardening and food.mike57 wavey flw flw
Posted By: BFVISION Re: Michigan Sauce for hotdogs - July 9th, 2005 at 06:55 PM
Great find Mike Duh . Will let you know how it goes. I'm leaning toward #1
Posted By: JV Re: Michigan Sauce for hotdogs - July 9th, 2005 at 11:25 PM
This best hotdog I ever ate was on south Cesero St. in Chicago one of those litle dog shacks. They had a Veina dog (not made with Viena sausage) the topping was fantastic all I remember is it had chopped onions and sweet peppers which I would substitute jalapeno's for. Does anyone else have any idea what else was in this topping ? Mybe someone from Chicago?
Jimmy
Posted By: Lucy Lou Re: Michigan Sauce for hotdogs - July 22nd, 2005 at 08:04 AM
My folks were from NC, not Michigan, but Momma would make something like this recipe below. She just called it chili and they put "slaw" on the hot dogs and hamburgers, too. That and fresh diced tomatoes. MMM, good. I know Momma must have made a lot of it over the years because before I was born they ran a restaurant. She always used ketchup and chili powder along with the hamburger.
MICHIGAN HOT DOG SAUCE (FOR HAMBURGERS
TOO)

Saute 1 large or 2 medium onions, chopped. Add: 1 (14 oz.) bottle ketchup 2 tbsp. brown sugar Black pepper 1 lb. hamburger
Break up hamburger when adding to pot and keep breaking with spoon. Simmer about 25 minutes. Some people add chili powder.

Place hot dog on roll. Spread mustard. Add sauce and chopped onion.
Posted By: LMT Re: Michigan Sauce for hotdogs - July 22nd, 2005 at 08:16 AM
A Chicago dog has a tonne of veggies. Tomato, pickle, onion, pickle relish, peppers, ect ... stacked so high you almost forget there's meat.
Posted By: JV Re: Michigan Sauce for hotdogs - July 27th, 2005 at 08:56 PM
LMT thats it thanks now I can make me some, Have to delete the pickles due to food allergies(to the pickling process) will substitute a pepper relish. Thank you again.
Jimmy
Posted By: hisgal2 Re: Michigan Sauce for hotdogs - July 28th, 2005 at 09:19 AM
Its a thick,red tomato based sauce
you mean ketchup??? wink wink smile grinnnn
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]