A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: angelblossom finally found it! sweetpotatoes & redhot candy - December 1st, 2006 at 11:24 AM
I remember eating this several years ago and remembering it was sooo good. I just couldn't find the reciepe until now!!! And these 2 ingredients together make a tasty dish!

Sweet potatoes and red hot candies and No,,It doesn't have the hotness of the cinnamon yet it's sweet and a hint of spicy in a candy/glazed potato.

Redhot Southern Sweet Potatoes

Originally it was all made in a cast iron skillet on top of the stove .

3 1/2 lbs Sweet potatoes peeled and either wedged or large cubed. Boiled until 3/4 cooked thru. Drain water completely and place in a bowl to cool somewhat, or just leave in colander for a few minutes.

melt 1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 Tblspns Honey
1 tspn ground cinnamon
3/4 cup water
Place all the above in skillet and stir until well blended and heated ,
Place sweet potatoes in a few at a time and rotate gently until well coated.
sprinkle 1 1/4 cups redhot candies over potatoes and drizzle 1/2 cup water over candies
Place lid on skillet and turn heat to a very low simmer , stir liquid occasionally,making sure potatoes are coated, cook potatoes until tender,, ( OR may place everything in a 8X8 pan and place in oven @ 350 untill potatoes are tender.., again making sure potatoes are 'glazed occassionally) May add marshmellows on top ( optional), and bake to light brown.

My Grandmother would always have a bowl of spanish roasted peanuts and redhot candy mixed together as a snack.. This is also a great snacking combination.
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: finally found it! sweetpotatoes & redhot candy - December 1st, 2006 at 11:34 AM
YEA DIANE - YOU FOUND IT!!! thumbup

Where?

It does sound yummy, and a great dish to make on a cold, wintery day!
Posted By: angelblossom Re: finally found it! sweetpotatoes & redhot candy - December 1st, 2006 at 11:47 AM
I called my cousin, daughter of the Aunt I believed had made them she seemed to think My Grandmother had made it But Anyway she lead to me the reciepe! thumbup
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]