A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Triss Checkerboard birthday cake for Lys - March 17th, 2007 at 04:54 AM
My MIL let me borrow her cake pans to create a 3 layer checkerboard cake. I was skeptical as to how it would work and was quite impressed. Enough that I am going to get my own. The set comes with 3 pans and an insert that allows you to pour the cake batter into each pan in 3 rings.

Here is what they look like once I baked them.
[Linked Image]

And the finished cake all decorated with pink and purple sugar decorations. The key to frosting a 3 layer cake is a LOT of frosting and to have it creamy. I mixed chocolate and white frosting to lighten it up and then added some red food coloring to give it a hint of pink.
[Linked Image]

And the inside once we cut into it.
[Linked Image]

It was yummy!!!
Posted By: tamara Re: Checkerboard birthday cake for Lys - March 17th, 2007 at 01:02 PM
Very nice indeed.

Triss I make mine using regular pans and a coffee can and a soup can. Just cut off both lids and wash well. It works the same way. I was to cheap to buy the special rings laugh
Posted By: Tonya Re: Checkerboard birthday cake for Lys - March 17th, 2007 at 02:19 PM
Nice Job Triss!! It looks delicious!! luv
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Checkerboard birthday cake for Lys - March 17th, 2007 at 05:55 PM
I almost bought a set of those pans last year.....maybe I will now! smile That looks pretty cool!
Posted By: Triss Re: Checkerboard birthday cake for Lys - March 17th, 2007 at 10:54 PM
Great idea Tamara. Much cheaper as well. Will have to try that one next time I need to make a cake! thumbup
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Checkerboard birthday cake for Lys - March 18th, 2007 at 12:55 AM
eek i want a piece eek think it would make it here? laugh laugh
Posted By: Dixie Angel Re: Checkerboard birthday cake for Lys - March 18th, 2007 at 12:59 AM
That is so neat, Triss, and looks delicious!
Posted By: Annell Re: Checkerboard birthday cake for Lys - March 18th, 2007 at 04:08 AM
I know this is a dumb question but ....
I understand you put the inserts in the pans and pour batter in and around them. I am thinking, you then take the inserts out once the pan is full, right?
Posted By: Triss Re: Checkerboard birthday cake for Lys - March 18th, 2007 at 04:18 AM
I could send it Jiffy, but it may be hard as a rock once it got there.

Annell, yes, you put the plastic insert in the pan, fill each ring and then take the insert out to place in the next pan.
Posted By: tamara Re: Checkerboard birthday cake for Lys - March 18th, 2007 at 11:25 AM
Triss, if you grease and flour each can they slide out easier as well, just don't cut your fingers.

I should replace my cans with plastic containers.
Posted By: Annell Re: Checkerboard birthday cake for Lys - March 18th, 2007 at 01:38 PM
Thank you Triss, I knew it was a dumb question adn thank you Tamara for the wonderful Idea of using tin cans.

I have seen these kind of cakes and have always wondered how they were made.

That one does look delish.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Checkerboard birthday cake for Lys - March 18th, 2007 at 03:52 PM
Looks great Triss.....sorry i couldnt make it thumbup thumbup laugh
Posted By: Triss Re: Checkerboard birthday cake for Lys - March 18th, 2007 at 07:51 PM
I did not think of greasing and flouring the insert. It did have batter attached as I moved it from one to another but was not too bad at all. I did not clean it between pans. I am pretty sure I have plastic rounds that will work really well for a homemade insert.
Posted By: plantqueen Re: Checkerboard birthday cake for Lys - March 19th, 2007 at 04:42 PM
That looks great Triss! I will have to try that! thumbup
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]