A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: tkhooper English translated to American - October 11th, 2006 at 05:54 AM
I was reading a recipe in the paper today. It was for Nonfat British Fish and Chips. As I ran into All-purpose Potatoes I was at a complete loss. I'm not sure what kind of potatoes those might be. Can someone give me some help on this one? Also do you really cut them into crosswise and rather than lengthwise?

Thankyou for any help you can render.
Posted By: markr Re: English translated to American - October 11th, 2006 at 06:08 AM
just spuds, lates maincrops
Posted By: Anonymous Re: English translated to American - October 11th, 2006 at 06:11 AM
regular ol' idaho's will do. and, yes, crosswise smile
Posted By: markr Re: English translated to American - October 11th, 2006 at 06:19 AM
So whats the difference, crosswise - lengthwise Duh
or is that why spuds have eyes
wink
Posted By: princessazlea Re: English translated to American - October 11th, 2006 at 05:01 PM
Don't cut them too thin as well Tammy thumbup
Posted By: tkhooper Re: English translated to American - October 11th, 2006 at 07:11 PM
The recipe calls for 1/3 of an inch slices. I don't think there is a really good metric version of that dimension. but it shouldn't be to thin I hope. I'll find out when I try out the recipe.

What I'm doing is gathering a bunch of recipes and hints and tips and putting them together for the young women of our church for when they leave home for the first time.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]