A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Kareena Non meat meals - July 21st, 2005 at 11:22 PM
If any one has any non meat meal recipes, I would love to have some. My boyfriend is really picky about his food and dose not believe its a meal unless meat is involved. mad I am hoping to trick him! laugh laugh
Thanks!
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: Non meat meals - July 22nd, 2005 at 04:01 AM
Hi Kareena
I don't eat meat either......hafta cook 2 separate meals every night! But a great website for vegetarian recipes is www.whfoods.com
I'm not sure if you can trick your boyfriend with them but I'm sure he'll love them. The website is full of other great info too. Good Luck!
Christina
Posted By: LMT Re: Non meat meals - July 22nd, 2005 at 06:18 AM
Portabella mushroom or any mushroom really, is a neat meat substitute. You get a meat like texture and it's way more manly then tofu, which I avoid like the plague.

I'd introduce a less meat alternative, assuming he eats mushrooms.

Shread up a steak, a cheap cut, and pan saute it with whatever else he'll eat (peppers, onions, garlic, ect) Have him grill the portabellas and spoon in the sauted steak.

If he eats corn, even better. Soak corn, husk and all, in the sink with a liberal amount of salt. Place it on the grill and steam it in the husk.

The typical guy loves to grill.

If you're ever going to get him to look at a meal without meat as a meal, you've got to first show him how it's manly -- but just don't say it!
Posted By: Kareena Re: Non meat meals - July 22nd, 2005 at 08:21 PM
Thanks for the ideas! We have a small hibatchie (sp?) grill that uses charcoal. He will eat veggies, but he dosen't think of them as a meal. The same with fruit. An apple is not breakfast. He loves mushrooms. I will try these ideas and see what I can do.

Thanks!
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Non meat meals - July 22nd, 2005 at 10:45 PM
Portabella mushroom or any mushroom really, is a neat meat substitute.
Kareena...I ate no meat for over 13 years, and mushrooms are the way to go!
You can dice them or shred them, then sautee in a little butter with some onions and use them instead of ground beef in a LOT of recipes...like spaghetti sauce, for instance.

When I get moved I'll give you a ton of recipes...
I highly recommend the "Laurel's Kitchen" books.
You really need to read them. Make sure you start with the first one.

Laurel\'s Kitchen

Cindy
Posted By: hisgal2 Re: Non meat meals - July 26th, 2005 at 02:08 AM
I could make an entire meal out of corn on the cob. I, like your boyfriend, love meat. I don't think I could go even a week without mean. I LOVE chicken the best. I've tried portabella mushrooms as meat before. YUK!!!! I don't think there is any way to fix those things that I would eat them! I just don't like fungus! wink well....I do eat yogurt. smile
Posted By: Kareena Re: Non meat meals - July 26th, 2005 at 07:28 AM
For some reason he thinks unless there is meat involved its not a meal. That is the only thing we disagree about! Go figure? shk nutz

Thank you for all of the ideas. I will be sure to trick him! laugh nutz laugh

Kareena
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: Non meat meals - July 26th, 2005 at 12:08 PM
Hi Kareena wavey
I clicked your profile and noticed you just had a birthday a couple weeks ago.......Happy Birthday!!! muggs clp

Sounds as though you should come and enjoy meals with me and our boyfriends can get together and have their meat. wink In the 2 years my boyfriend and I have been together, there hasn't been one time where we ate the same meal together. Aw well....wut can you do?!
Christina
Posted By: topcat Re: Non meat meals - July 26th, 2005 at 01:00 PM
Kareena, you can make chilli without putting meat in it, I have done that from time to time and my son never notices.
Posted By: Kareena Re: Non meat meals - July 26th, 2005 at 09:56 PM
Christinac- thank for the happy bday but....mine was in November.

topcat- I will try! Sounds intersting.
Posted By: JV Re: Non meat meals - July 27th, 2005 at 08:51 PM
A meal without meat oh no frown frown Not this child. I eat a lot of fruit and veggies at time but I eat beef almost everyday of the year. But to be completely honest I don't have to eat meat every meal. I love greens of almost every kind. About the only things I WILL NOT eat are Broccoli(bad taste),Carrots(taste dirty) and mushrooms just plain don't like.
Jimmy
Posted By: hisgal2 Re: Non meat meals - July 28th, 2005 at 09:23 AM
Christina must have thought that your birthday is 7-11........instead of 11-7. ...right???? Some places switch the month and day opposite from how we do that. A guy who works for Stephen is from Mexico and that's how they did it, so when he got his driver's license, that's how he wrote his birthday....because that's how they do it! laugh His official ID had him turning "legal" 21 like 6 months before he actually turned 21!!! laugh laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: LMT Re: Non meat meals - September 10th, 2005 at 05:38 AM
Do you know what a puffball is? Get one young, before it turns and it rocks!
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]