A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: princessazlea Yorkshire Pudding - June 6th, 2005 at 01:10 PM
Have you heard of Yorkshire Puddings
If you have'nt it sounds like a Dessert but it isn't. This is a tradional English recipe.
Served with Roast beef and vegetables.

100gms (4oz) Flour (self raising)
pinch of salt
1 egg
300ml (1/2 pint) fresh milk
40g (1 1/2oz) butter

Sift flour and salt into a bowl. Break in egg.
Gradually add half the milk, beating to form a smooth batter.
Pour in remaining milk and beat until quite smooth.
Pre-oven to 220 0c (425 oF) Mark 7.
Put butter into a 25.5x30.5 cm (10x12inch)
baking tin. Heat for 10 mins or until a faint haze just appears.
(Alternatively for smaller Yorkshire puddings place butter in a 12 section bun tin).
Pour in batter.
Bake just above centre of oven for 40-45 minutes.
(for smaller puddings bake for 15-20 minutes).
Posted By: jogger Re: Yorkshire Pudding - June 26th, 2005 at 01:50 AM
Hi, a long time ago, l mentioned in the forum about Yorkshire pudding's, and was met with "What sort of pudding"
Hope you enjoy them, us from over the pond, well they are a traditional part of our diet.
As a cook would love to put recipies on the forum, when l have tried, have to explain so much, lose heart.
Where did you get the recipe from, am interested.

Doreen.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Yorkshire Pudding - June 26th, 2005 at 03:12 AM
Being an English family we eat Yorkshire Pudding a good bit over here....Soooooooo good--and nice and light and airy! Glad you shared the recipe so others over here can try it!

I remember when I was a little girl we'd eat black pudding......you should see my friends reactions when I tell them what it is.....LOL
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Yorkshire Pudding - June 26th, 2005 at 04:44 AM
I usually pour the Yorkshire pudding in the pan drippings after I've pulled out the roast. Love it that way. The recipe is very similar to the popover recipe that a love having for breakfast. Not that I'm a butter freak or anything lol.
Posted By: Skywise Re: Yorkshire Pudding - July 18th, 2005 at 05:22 PM
Don't just keep the yorkies for beef dinners guys- it's gorgeous with roast chicken as well - or lamb come to thin of it (LOL). Every so often I make great big ones in sponge tins and fill them with sausages and onion gravy. Oh bliss - it's no wonder I'm as big as a house!!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Yorkshire Pudding - July 18th, 2005 at 11:08 PM
Okay Skywise.........what's are
sponge tins
???
I am dyin' to know!!!!
Posted By: Skywise Re: Yorkshire Pudding - July 19th, 2005 at 03:15 AM
Sorry weezie

I should have said cake tin. I only ever cook Victoria sponges in mine - hence "sponge tin". Mine are about 9" with removable bottoms which means the yorkies are easy to get out without breaking them. Yummy yummy!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Yorkshire Pudding - July 19th, 2005 at 04:14 AM
I'm not a huge baker,
*actually I am so lacking talent when
it comes to dough products..* :rolleyes:

but would one of those be
considered a "cheese cake pan" like....
where you have to clip on the sides
of the pan to the bottom..
then when the cheese cake is done,
you un~clip it?????

If it is, then I know exactly what you mean....

but you've got me curious again...
Victoria sponges
What are those??????? crit
Posted By: Skywise Re: Yorkshire Pudding - July 19th, 2005 at 03:51 PM
Yes, sounds like a cheescake pan is the right thing.

Victoria sponges - um.... Ordinary sponge cakes:

6oz sugar
6 oz hard margarine
8 oz self raising flour
2 eggs
milk

Beat the sugar and marge together until they're creamy. Add the eggs and a drop of milk and beat. Add the flour a little at a time and beat it into the mixture, adding milk to get a nice consistency (when the mixture just drops off a spoon). Spread the mixture equally into two buttered 9" cake tins and bake for approx 20 minutes at Gas Mk 4 (160c). Et voila - victoria sponges!!

Spread some jam or buttercream on one sponge and sandwich it between the two sponges.

Right, I've made myself hungry now so I'm off to do some baking . . . . . . (exits stage left licking lips and drooling)

Skywise
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]