A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Triss How would you..... - December 18th, 2006 at 09:59 AM
store muffin and mini muffin sized pie crusts?

I am making several items that require crusts for Christmas eve and day meals (mini pecan pies, mini pudding pies, mini quiche's) and I am just not sure how to do in advance all of the crusts I will need and store them safely.

Any ideas?
Posted By: Dixie Angel Re: How would you..... - December 18th, 2006 at 10:32 AM
Couldn't they be frozen, Triss?

I am not sure, because I am not an accomplished cook, but you can buy frozen pie crusts....so...

Dianna
Posted By: angelblossom Re: How would you..... - December 18th, 2006 at 11:13 AM
Triss I've seen the mini pie crust frozen in mini tins in the store(s) I think they come 10 in a bag OR just buy the ready made pillsbury pie crust you let get to room temp and unroll and this way you can cut it to form your own pie tins or muffin tins place waxed paper between them and freeze untill ready to use! That's what I would do except for the pudding pies are you making graham cracker crust for those? If so they have them in the store also already in mini tins I've also seen them at Sams club and Costco Club store as well.
Posted By: Triss Re: How would you..... - December 18th, 2006 at 01:24 PM
I can freeze them unbaked, but I want to bake them and am not sure about freezing them after baking. Trying to save myself some time on the day I will be putting it all together.
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: How would you..... - December 18th, 2006 at 10:29 PM
Well they store them that way in the market.. You should be fine freezing them! Duh
Posted By: Triss Re: How would you..... - December 19th, 2006 at 01:42 AM
Well I sure hope so cuz that is the plan. I will be starting on them today. I figure I am going to need about 100 mini's and 50 muffin sized ones. Should be fun! laugh
Posted By: Rosepetal Re: How would you..... - December 19th, 2006 at 11:45 PM
Triss if you freeze them after you have baked them they tend to crack so be really careful if you do it that way. Best way really is to freeze them before you bake.
Posted By: Triss Re: How would you..... - December 20th, 2006 at 01:23 AM
Thanks for that rosepetal. The breaking is what I was afraid of and I was told the same thing as well by another friend who makes pies all of the time. So I am going to prepare all of the crusts and freeze them and then do all of the baking on the same day. Should be an interesting day in the kitchen. laugh
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]