A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Triss Canning questions - July 25th, 2006 at 12:20 PM
Today I made some cherry jam. Looks like it turned out well. My recipe said it could take a couple of weeks to set, does that mean solid rather than liquid? Or is that how long before I can use it? The other question I have is what do I do with the last 1/2 full jar. Should it go right into the refrigerator and be used right away or will it still be preserved since I sealed it like the others. Just not sure what I should do with the 1/2 jar.
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Canning questions - July 25th, 2006 at 12:58 PM
Homemade jellies and jams will never be as hard set as store bought. I have strawberry jam that 2 years old and still not set hard. But it tastes better that any store bought jam.

As far as the 1/2 filled jar, I would use it first, it may not be as sealed as you think it is,

And a little tasting is in order. thumbup grinnnn

Now you need to find some good homemade bread to go with that. YUMMMO!!!!
Posted By: Triss Re: Canning questions - July 25th, 2006 at 01:44 PM
Thanks Pat. I was planning on using it first. May just have to make some bread tomorrow. It will be GREAT on English Muffin Bread. YUMMY!
Posted By: cookinmom Re: Canning questions - July 26th, 2006 at 08:45 AM
Hi Triss,
My mom always said that last half full jar was the sampling jar. A pan of hot biscuits would be good!
Posted By: comfrey Re: Canning questions - July 26th, 2006 at 11:15 AM
I agree that half of a jar should go in the fridge for sampling.
Posted By: Triss Re: Canning questions - July 26th, 2006 at 11:41 AM
It is in the fridge. Have yet to make bread though, it got too hot. Am going to make biscuits for dinner though so we can try it out then.
Posted By: Tonya Re: Canning questions - July 26th, 2006 at 11:25 PM
Now I'm hungry... eek Can you send me a biscuit with butter and jam? Or better yet... [Linked Image]I'm beaming over. laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Canning questions - July 27th, 2006 at 01:40 AM
I'm drooling lol. And I have to scaddadle out of here and get to making the cookies for the conferance tomorrow. I've been bad sitting here reading instead.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Canning questions - July 27th, 2006 at 03:40 AM
That sounds so good Triss!!
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]