A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: plants 'n pots ACMoore and WUA - January 21st, 2007 at 01:10 AM
What a difference a store makes!

You all know how disappointed I've been in the lack of turnout at Michaels for the Warm Up America program - I blame it on the fact that they refuse to advertise it - the headquarters of the chain, not the store here - their hands are tied!

So, ACMoore sent me an email yesterday - I'm on their mailing list - but could they possibly give a little more advanced notice???

Anywho... I got to the store 45 minutes early, to see the yarns that were on sale - no big deal there. I bumped into an old friend there - she was actually one of my college roommates, and coincidentally ended up living in the same town as I do even though we both came from elsewhere! So, we got to talking, and I wasn't the first one back to the table for the knitting. I was delighted to see that there were already about 8 people sitting there, including the woman running it - Karen.

Karen used to work for the store as an instructor in the yarn dept - she would just sit at a table and knit or crochet, and answer any questions customers might have about yarns or stitches - very knowledgable! So, of course the store layed her off!!! mad But she came back to do this one day deal. More woman came as time went on, and we had a full table of about 15 people on and off - amazing! And all the yarn you could want to use! And needles and hooks too - just go help yourself to whichever ones you want to use! Duh

The newspaper even sent out first a photographer, and then a reporter - no, I wasn't part of either - they chose the oldest, blandest looking woman there! But the article will be in tomorrow's paper and I can post a link to it here - they put it online too.

While we were eating, I found out that some of the woman were there because they had all been part of a knitting group that met on Friday mornings there while Karen was working there - why did I not know this??? I am in that store several times a week - how did I miss it??? eek Of course they no longer meet now that she doesn't work there, but they've become close friends and it took a while for me to break into the group and become accepted - finally I did!

So, at the end, the manager ended up ALSO giving each of us who was there the entire time a $20 store gift certificate!!! I certainly did not expect that, and already spent most of it today! laugh

We are meeting again next Saturday to sew up the blankets - most of us took yarn home to keep working on it during the week - I've already made another piece since I've been home.

Like I said... what a difference a store makes!!!
Posted By: melcon6 Re: ACMoore and WUA - January 21st, 2007 at 01:55 AM
Wow, that is awesome , Lynne! You must feel great about that, I know I would! Isn't great breaking into a group of nice women with common interests and great conversation?!
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: ACMoore and WUA - January 21st, 2007 at 01:57 AM
It is, but it was rather uncomfortable for the first few hours because the "group" was sitting next to me, and the one had her back to me and would not look at me when I asked her to pass things like the tapemeasure or scissors - she was very snotty at first. At the end she was pretty friendly - thankfully!
Posted By: Triss Re: ACMoore and WUA - January 21st, 2007 at 02:06 AM
Lynne, I am just sooooo excited for you. I know you were so disappointed with the whole thing at Michaels and to be able to find this group is just the best thing ever! I still have yet to hear a darn thing from WUA or Michael's so I will still send you my squares. At least they can be put to good use for you all. Will try and get them in the mail on Monday so you can use them next weekend.
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: ACMoore and WUA - January 21st, 2007 at 02:46 AM
Thanks Triss! I'm sure they will be greatly appreciated! I'm thinking of bringing in my 15 pieces also, since I've not heard back from Liz from Michaels!
Posted By: Triss Re: ACMoore and WUA - January 21st, 2007 at 02:57 AM
Only 15, I thought you were up to 35???
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: ACMoore and WUA - January 21st, 2007 at 03:05 AM
total of 35 - with the ones I had already brought into Michaels - plus the Granny square lap blanket I made... I don't think ACMoore wants that, and I hope I can send it through Michaels! Or... we'll just have a cute small blankie here!
Posted By: Triss Re: ACMoore and WUA - January 21st, 2007 at 03:15 AM
Oh ok, gotcha. I hope they can send the lap blanket along with anything you make.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: ACMoore and WUA - January 21st, 2007 at 03:19 AM
That's great Lynne, It sounds like great fun.
I don't know your whole Michael's story, but I am glad found a place to knit away with the ladies.

Good for you for sticking with it and making friends. clp Women in groups of friends can be a tough crowd.

Very cool about seeing a college friend too. Did she knit?
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: ACMoore and WUA - January 21st, 2007 at 03:25 AM
Thanks, Jane.

My friend did not knit - she was looking for some things for her 4th grade class there.
Posted By: Triss Re: ACMoore and WUA - January 22nd, 2007 at 10:11 PM
Lynne, I sent the box out to you today. I think it was 30 rectangles. Hope it gets there for you by this weekend!
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: ACMoore and WUA - January 22nd, 2007 at 10:45 PM
WOW Triss - thanks so much!!!
I'll have to remember to take my camera so you can see the finished blankets!

Would you please try and remind me as we get closer to Saturday?
Posted By: Triss Re: ACMoore and WUA - January 22nd, 2007 at 10:56 PM
I would love to see it finished. Thanks!

I put a tracker on it so I can follow the progress.
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: ACMoore and WUA - January 22nd, 2007 at 11:52 PM
uh oh... Triss - I just found out that Amy has a recital at the music school in the city on Saturday, and I'm probably not going to be able to go to ACMoore other than to drop off your and my pieces. I'm soooo soooo sorry! The others will be able to use them though, so they certainly will not go to waste, it's just that I might not be participating in putting the blankets together, or getting pictures. I will definitely ask someone else to take one if they bring a camera - I wish I could get in contact with Karen, but she didn't give me her number...

So, if you like, I can either send the pieces back, or let the others do the sewing. Or bug Liz from Micaels to get on the stick and have another meeting! It's such a disappointment for me too! :p
Posted By: Triss Re: ACMoore and WUA - January 23rd, 2007 at 12:28 AM
Oh Lynne, what a bummer. I know you were so looking forward to that as well. You do what you want with them once they get there, either take them for now or save them to use when you can put a blanket together. Up to you. Either way I know they will be used for a good cause and that is really what matters!
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: ACMoore and WUA - January 23rd, 2007 at 01:24 AM
I agree - that is what matters in the end, of course!
It just would have been nice to be able to help put them together and see the final products.

Thanks for being so generous - I'll make sure they know that you sent them!
Posted By: Triss Re: ACMoore and WUA - January 23rd, 2007 at 01:56 AM
Yes that would sure be nice. I hope someone will take pics for you so we can all see them!
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: ACMoore and WUA - January 26th, 2007 at 07:01 PM
I finally got a picture of all of Triss' pieces that she is contributing to Warm Up America that she sent to me this week.

The picture does not do them justice!
They are WONDERFUL!!!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: plantqueen Re: ACMoore and WUA - January 26th, 2007 at 07:27 PM
Very nice Triss! And some very pretty colors! thumbup
Posted By: Triss Re: ACMoore and WUA - January 27th, 2007 at 12:53 AM
Thanks you two. I sure enjoyed working on them!
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: ACMoore and WUA - January 27th, 2007 at 12:55 AM
Wow.....very pretty Triss....well done
Posted By: Triss Re: ACMoore and WUA - January 28th, 2007 at 07:05 PM
Lynne, How did things go this weekend?
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: ACMoore and WUA - January 28th, 2007 at 07:27 PM
Hi Triss - sorry to not answer last night - I, like Amy, was not feeling very well and went to bed early.

It was very chaotic yesterday. Many of the same women returned, but the pieces were all dumped in the middle of the table, nothing was layed out to make sure they'd make a blanket, and Karen just kept saying to "do whatever"... I guess she was in a "mood" - everyone has those days, right?

So, given that, I kept all our pieces together, since they would make a full blanket, and proceeded to sew them together. When I had to leave, another woman from last week arrived and I asked her to continue with our pieces. She was fine with that and set out to get to work - she seemed pretty meticulous and orderly in her work.

The blankets will be donated to Hospice, as Karen was most fond of that organization. I'm not sure I'll get to the store tomorrow to take a picture before the manager calls Hospice to pick them up, but I do thank you so very much again for your contributions! kissies

The others were all amazed that you had sent them from so far away,
and oooooooooohed and ahhhhhhhhhhhed at your fine work!!! thumbup flw
Posted By: Triss Re: ACMoore and WUA - January 28th, 2007 at 07:30 PM
Sounds like it was a lil hectic and chaotic there. I am glad you got to do some of the sewing though!

Hope both you and Amy are feeling better!!!

Are you planning on sticking with that group?
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: ACMoore and WUA - January 28th, 2007 at 07:34 PM
Thanks, Triss.

It's really not a group - this was a one time thing unfortunately.

But... I did give Karen my number in case something else comes up like this, and also the woman who I sat next to both times. We'll see if I get any calls...
Posted By: Triss Re: ACMoore and WUA - January 28th, 2007 at 07:53 PM
I hope you get a call!!!
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: ACMoore and WUA - January 29th, 2007 at 07:20 PM
Triss - I am going to the store after Amy's flute lesson - in an hour probably - to take some pictures. The manager said that he called Hospice, but they haven't come to pick up the blankets yet - I hope I beat them to it!

He also said that they would be meeting again on Feb. 24th.
Posted By: Triss Re: ACMoore and WUA - January 29th, 2007 at 08:03 PM
I hope you beat the pick up. Will be cool to see the finished blanket.

Another get together is great too!
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: ACMoore and WUA - January 29th, 2007 at 10:40 PM
Well... I was a bit disappointed to see that "our" blanket was not finished. And apparently the other woman sewed the pieces the wide way, where as I had made the first 2 rows the long way. Oh, well... hopefully it will get finished at the next meeting.

[Linked Image]

Here are the other 2 blankets that were finished - neither one is the WUA requested size though. I'm actually surprised that Karen is going to meet again, as it seems like she's not all that into it... I didn't even see the one she was working on, that was all the boucle pieces we all had knit? Unless she took it home to work on...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'll go to the next meeting and see what's going on - might have to look for another group to knit for.
Posted By: Triss Re: ACMoore and WUA - January 29th, 2007 at 11:14 PM
That is really odd that she sewed them differently. What is with that? I sure hope you can find a good group Lynne, I know you would have so much fun!

It is really cool seeing them all together!
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: ACMoore and WUA - February 26th, 2007 at 06:15 PM
I went back to the group at ACMoore this past Saturday. I got there a little late, and only 5 of the "regulars" were there this time. Two were sewing the pieces together still for more blankets, and the rest had started on making scarves for Hospice. Since I really did not enjoy the sewing the last time I was there, I decided to do a scarf. The only yarn they had to give me was that awful boucle that I had trouble making rectangles with, so I asked the dept. manager if I could use some other yarn that wouldn't be so hard on my hands. He told me to pick any of the Red Heart that were on sale, so I chose this turqouise and magenta variegated, since those are my favorite colors.

We were there for 4 hours, but didn't finish even half of a scarf, so we were allowed to take the materials home. I finished mine last night. This was the hardest color scheme to get a clear picture of, and this was the best I could do this morning.

[Linked Image]

They ordered in pizza for us again, and also gave each of us a pair of Red Heart size 17 lightweight plastic needles to keep. I have no idea what I'll use such large needles for, but it was nice of them just the same.

I also have 3 skeins of Bernat BOA yarn from them, to make another scarf - they have to be back to the store by this weekend for pick-up.
Posted By: Triss Re: ACMoore and WUA - February 26th, 2007 at 08:02 PM
Very nice Lynne! Love those colors. How long is it?
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: ACMoore and WUA - February 26th, 2007 at 08:11 PM
Thanks Triss

It's 48 inches long - exactly 1 skein of yarn, 30 stitches on size 11 needles.
Posted By: Triss Re: ACMoore and WUA - February 26th, 2007 at 08:14 PM
That is a nice size too! Thanks for the info!
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: ACMoore and WUA - February 28th, 2007 at 11:48 PM
Two days later and another scarf done.
This was pretty fast - bernat boa yarn, in "doo doo bird" color. laugh Duh nutz (like that name???) The areas that look brown here in the picture are actually purple!

I did 18 stitches on size 13 needles.

[Linked Image]

It's very soft and fluffy, but in my opinion not the yarn that should be used for someone in Hospice. I think it's too fussy, PLUS, it's HAND WASH only!!! I really think the department manager in ACMoore needs a dose of reality - this is the second time he gave us some yarn that is not practical for a place like that. I think I'm going to say something when I bring the scarves in tomorrow - I have to give them directly to him anyway.

I have a full skein and part of one leftover. I'm going to keep them for myself - they are not keeping track of what goes out anyway, and it's a perfect match for the yarn that I ripped out from the ripple blanket recently. Maybe the manager will give me some better yarn tomorrow and I can make at least one more before they are picked up next Monday.
Posted By: Triss Re: ACMoore and WUA - March 1st, 2007 at 05:05 AM
Ohhh that one is pretty. Was it easy to work with?
Posted By: Patty S Re: ACMoore and WUA - March 1st, 2007 at 07:40 AM
Nice job, Lynne! I think the second one is pretty cool, but as you said, not very practical for Hospice folks. It sounds like the department manager needs to wake up & pay attention, or start reading the care instructions on those skeins!

I take it that there must not be a deadline for the WUA blankets, if they're still sewing the squares together, huh? Duh It almost sounds as though someone isn't very well organized, or they don't really care much about the project! If they don't hurry up, the blankets/squares may as well be stored away till NEXT winter! (I can't imagine what would be happening if they'd have had a better turn out for that project.) frown It's probably a good thing that once the scarves are done, they're DONE... we can only hope that somebody will have their act together well enough to get them to their destination in a timely manner!

Anyway, I'm really glad that you're involving yourself in these projects & getting out among other people that you can share your interests & accomplished skills with. kissies
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: ACMoore and WUA - March 1st, 2007 at 01:11 PM
Thanks Triss and Patty

The yarn was pretty easy to use, Triss, but slower going than a "regular" yarn, since there's all that fussy stuff to contend with. Hard to see the stitches if one makes a mistake.

Patty - I think that the department manager is clueless when it comes to yarn and its features. I'm sure he's never read a single label on any of them. He apparently gets a box of yarns from the main office to use for these projects - and they don't sort out what would be good for each particular project. He would not allow me to see the box and chose a yarn to use - not very smart of him in my opinion. I'm going to try and convince him to let me at it today. Hopefully once he sees the scarves I've made, he'll loosen up a little...

As for getting the blankets in, in a timely matter, I don't think that's so critical here. While they are certainly needed during wintertime, most places are also air-conditioned during the warmer months, and we all know how we can get chilled while not feeling well, right?

The scarves, on the other hand, do have a time period where they are needed or not. I do think I'll suggest doing them earlier next year, if they are going to continue with this program.
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: ACMoore and WUA - March 4th, 2007 at 12:17 AM
Moving right along...

I went back to ACMoore today, as the dept. manager was not there the other day when I went to drop off the 2 scarves. He was happy to take my 2, and when I asked if there was more yarn to use, he took me into the yarn dept. and gave me all the skeins that didn't have labels on them!!! WOW - I ended up with 8 nice and different colors. Duh

I also told him about the strictly hand washable yarn that they gave me to use, and he agreed that that was ridiculous. It's so nice to work with someone who actually listens!

Here's what I came home with from him:
[Linked Image]

I don't know what the content is of the 2 small balls - they aren't exactly the same texture, but they are the same color tones - weird. There weren't any good balls with the label still on, so it will remain a mystery, unless someone recognizes it...

oh yeah... so, who wants to go to my ACMoore store and rip off a few more labels? laugh Duh lala
Posted By: Triss Re: ACMoore and WUA - March 4th, 2007 at 05:20 AM
laugh laugh laugh Lynne. Nice yarns there! Will make great scarves!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: ACMoore and WUA - March 4th, 2007 at 04:34 PM
Lynne,
I THINK THAT ONE IS GORGEOUS (the fluffy scarf),
AND I WOULD LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, TO LEARN HOW TO DO THAT ONE cool cool cool Duh wink angell
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: ACMoore and WUA - March 4th, 2007 at 06:46 PM
I agree, Weezie!
I think it would be very nice to have something that feels so soft and luxurious, but I was thinking of the practical side too.

This is one of the easiest scarves to make - REALLY!
It's all in the yarn!
And yes, I did this one on size 11 needles - you can actually use size 13s, like I'm doing for another scarf right now.
All you do is the knit stitch, for the entire scarf. This type of yarn is called "eyelash" because that's what it looks like when pulled straight.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: ACMoore and WUA - March 4th, 2007 at 08:26 PM
They are rearranging my local Wally~World and it was there for $5.00, with the needles and pattern.. the yard was extra..
but like I said, I can't read the pattern
and it's been soooo many years, I'd have to have
someone actually next to me to re~learn how to do it again!!!!
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: ACMoore and WUA - March 5th, 2007 at 02:53 PM
Weezie - no pattern needed for that scarf!!!
Just cast on 20 stitches - I have some great site to help you learn or remember how to do that - and knit away for about 50 inches or so. Then the binding off is really easy too - I also have sites for that - with easy videos - so easy!!! kissies
Posted By: weezie13 Re: ACMoore and WUA - March 6th, 2007 at 02:08 AM
It has been 30 years since I've knitted..
And I barely remember how to hold the needles... eek
If I could sit down and watch someone,
and have them help with a stitch or two..
Then I'd probably remember...
But to be honest, I knew how to start them,
knit a scarf and that's it..
Can't even finish them up.. eek
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: ACMoore and WUA - March 6th, 2007 at 03:21 AM
Another scarf finished for ACMoore to deliver - I found out the scarves are going to a cancer organization, not Hospice.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Patty S Re: ACMoore and WUA - March 6th, 2007 at 04:13 AM
[Linked Image] That is GORGEOUS! Love those colors.

I liked that yarn when it was still all rolled up... you made it look better!

Nice job! clp
Posted By: Triss Re: ACMoore and WUA - March 6th, 2007 at 05:56 AM
VERY nice! So bold and beautiful. That is going to bring a smile to someone for sure!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: ACMoore and WUA - March 6th, 2007 at 02:21 PM
Exactly Ditto on what Patty said...
Gosh that's gorgeous!!!!

Question?
Have you ever seen the hat/scarf thingie,
that's made like you made it, but you take the
scarf, hold it up and measure where the half mark is... then measure a certain amount of length down for like the length of a head and neck, and sew down that and it becomes a hat on the scarf!!!
I love that idea.. hat/scarf all in one..
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: ACMoore and WUA - March 6th, 2007 at 02:46 PM
Thanks all!

That picture is so foggy looking, I took another one this morning,
that shows the true colors a little better:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Patty S Re: ACMoore and WUA - March 6th, 2007 at 03:00 PM
Hmmmm [Linked Image] now lemme see here...
I like the first one better! [Linked Image]

I noticed that you brought home 2 skeins of that variegated yarn. How much of that did it take to make the scarf?
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: ACMoore and WUA - March 6th, 2007 at 03:07 PM
PATTY!!! :rolleyes: p dev

There are 3 different variegated yarns that I got the other day - no 2 the same colorways. This scarf took about 3/4 of a skein.

Weezie... I did that to my very first crocheted scarf that I made when I was a teen - I just thought it up myself way back then... and I still have it!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: ACMoore and WUA - March 6th, 2007 at 03:18 PM
I keep tryin' to get my mother to knit one
while she's in Fla.. I think she keeps putting
it off.. but I think she'll need one when she comes back here to this sub~zero temps' we're havin' here..
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: ACMoore and WUA - March 6th, 2007 at 03:29 PM
Very pretty Lynne....I'm sure someone will be thrilled to get that!!!!
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]