A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: tamara Cost of shipping.... - March 13th, 2007 at 05:50 PM
Today I go to the post office with many packages in hand to be shocked out of my mind. The cost of mailing packages is crazy.

I only mailed 3 because it cost $26 for them to be sent, and very small packages at that. So 3 of you will be recieving packages and some more of you will definately waiting til next payday laugh . I wouldn't want to know the cost if they were insured as well sca
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Cost of shipping.... - March 13th, 2007 at 05:52 PM
It is crazy the cost isnt it.....the most expensive i have ever mailed was to England..but i wont tell you how much....but it is shocking to say the least!!!!!
Posted By: plantqueen Re: Cost of shipping.... - March 13th, 2007 at 05:57 PM
I agree that it is very expensive to ship packages. I noticed that it is more to send out of the country! It is sca
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Cost of shipping.... - March 13th, 2007 at 06:03 PM
And then to complicate matters more....i recieved a package yesturday from Jessica and the dollar value that she declared on the package, i had to pay the tax at the post office before i was allowed to have it :p :p :p :p
Posted By: plantqueen Re: Cost of shipping.... - March 13th, 2007 at 06:05 PM
I think that is just crazy! I don't understand that one bit! :p :p is right! frown
Posted By: tamara Re: Cost of shipping.... - March 13th, 2007 at 06:27 PM
I wrote the dollar value as 0. She also told me shipping to the US is different, you have to pay tax under $5 worth but don't pay tax if it's over $5, I was so confused when i left the post office. perpl

From now on I'm only shipping in bubble wrap envelopes that can fit through the slot. laugh
Posted By: plantqueen Re: Cost of shipping.... - March 13th, 2007 at 06:30 PM
laugh laugh laugh Sounds like the easier way to me Tamara! The only problem is that I never know how much postage things need. Duh
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Cost of shipping.... - March 13th, 2007 at 06:31 PM
Or boxes that fit in your corner mail box too....just load it with stamps....works for me laugh laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: tamara Re: Cost of shipping.... - March 13th, 2007 at 06:39 PM
She told me for postage it's $1.10 for a small bubble envelope in Canada and $3.85 to the US. I'll just prepay for the postage stamps, they even come in those exact prices.
Posted By: plantqueen Re: Cost of shipping.... - March 13th, 2007 at 06:40 PM
Oh that would be way better then!
Posted By: Triss Re: Cost of shipping.... - March 13th, 2007 at 06:42 PM
It is just way crazy for postage from here to there Tamara.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Cost of shipping.... - March 13th, 2007 at 06:56 PM
Yeah really....and all these packages being sent....we realy should get a discount laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: Wrennie Re: Cost of shipping.... - March 13th, 2007 at 06:56 PM
Just remember those bubble enelopes wont keep all breakables safe.
Posted By: plantqueen Re: Cost of shipping.... - March 13th, 2007 at 06:57 PM
laugh laugh We should get a GH discount shouldn't we!

Good point Wrennie! thumbup
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Cost of shipping.... - March 13th, 2007 at 07:04 PM
Yep....good point Wren thumbup
Posted By: badplanter Re: Cost of shipping.... - March 13th, 2007 at 08:59 PM
postage is way too high... :p
that's the only reason I don't send out boxes..to anywhere! laugh laugh laugh
The best I can do is bubble envelopes, but you can't fit much in those.. laugh lala laugh
Posted By: hisgal2 Re: Cost of shipping.... - March 13th, 2007 at 09:13 PM
If I'm sending out a package, I usually use those flat rate shipping boxes (or envelopes). It is a flat $8.10 no matter how heavy you load up those boxes. I can't remember the cost for the envelopes. Anyways, I use those for almost everything. The other month I sent a box full of almost 40 magazines to Iraq...you can only imagine how heavy that box was!!....still only 8.10! thumbup
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Cost of shipping.... - March 13th, 2007 at 09:19 PM
the us post office offers many different things for mailing...flat rate envelopes and flat rate boxes (in more than one size) that can really be helpful when sending stuff heavy stuff or a lot of things...it's a flat rate no matter WHAT the packages weigh!!

sending to other countries is a whole different issue. even to canada now there are restrictions. EVERYTHING that is sent out of the country (the us) is supposed to have a claims form attached.

and remember, there ARE restrictions on what seeds/plant stuff can be sent in/out of our country and each other country has thier own restrictions too!!

here's a link to the usps info for #139.2 Plants mailing restriction for things sent out of the us.

and here's one for the individual country info for what's allowed to be sent in to those countries.

it's a really iffy thing, these days, to be sending plants to/from and even seeds too!!
Posted By: kennyso Re: Cost of shipping.... - March 13th, 2007 at 11:22 PM
Originally posted by tamara:
She told me for postage it's $1.10 for a small bubble envelope in Canada and $3.85 to the US. I'll just prepay for the postage stamps, they even come in those exact prices.
They do! before the postage increaded, a letter to the states was 89 cents and now its 93 cents. i've always gotten around sending seeds or bubble envelopes to the US wit ha single letter stamp shocked laugh lucky me. The only time I used two stamps was when I sent Tammy seeds for the fall swap. I usually get away with sending bubble envelopes in canada for 52 cents, but I know this address where the post people return my package because of 3 missing cents...and they already cancelled my postage! they're too tight on a few cents, thank God for those permanent stamp eh?
Posted By: kennyso Re: Cost of shipping.... - March 13th, 2007 at 11:27 PM
Originally posted by badplanter:
postage is way too high... :p
that's the only reason I don't send out boxes..to anywhere! laugh laugh laugh
The best I can do is bubble envelopes, but you can't fit much in those.. laugh lala laugh
Whenever I find some really cheap and good garden stuff, I always thinl : I think Jiffy (or someone) might want that (I found a willy 12" tall for only 2 bucks...though cindy might like it) but then I think of postage...I would really love to send more stuff to people here!Penny and Tamara, let's petition...cheaper postage for gardeners! laugh
Posted By: kennyso Re: Cost of shipping.... - March 13th, 2007 at 11:30 PM
just a thought: how well do you think an areo will do shipped across the boarder in a bubble envelope...anyone want to be the first to try? the postage costs more than the chocolate laugh laugh laugh and shipping for stuff like seeds is also outrageous sometimes
Posted By: Triss Re: Cost of shipping.... - March 13th, 2007 at 11:54 PM
Just so you know Kenny, I got my aero from cangcolgirl in a bubble envelop with my seed tag. It made it just fine! thumbup
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Cost of shipping.... - March 14th, 2007 at 12:19 AM
oooo wavey kenny, i'll be your guinea pig laugh laugh laugh i've never had one! laugh laugh

just kidding, but it is a thought grinnnn

postage is terrible, and i procrastinate too, makes it worse :p
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Cost of shipping.... - March 14th, 2007 at 12:49 AM
postage is terrible, and i procrastinate too, makes it worse
I still have forum Christmas presents sitting here to mail out... shocked
Posted By: badplanter Re: Cost of shipping.... - March 14th, 2007 at 12:50 AM
Cindy-- laugh laugh laugh laugh lala
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Cost of shipping.... - March 14th, 2007 at 12:56 AM
I thought about taking a picture of the boxes and starting a contest..."Guess when Cindy Will Mail Out Her Presents!"...
.........and the winner gets their present! laugh
Posted By: badplanter Re: Cost of shipping.... - March 14th, 2007 at 12:59 AM
laugh laugh

That might not be a bad idea... nobody will guess correctly! laugh laugh laugh wink
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Cost of shipping.... - March 14th, 2007 at 01:14 AM
of course, you could post a pic and have a contest, like "when will YOU get a package?" i have christmas presents too laugh laugh
Posted By: tamara Re: Cost of shipping.... - March 14th, 2007 at 10:53 AM
The postal worker never told me about flat rate boxes, Now I'm mad. A flat rate box would leave me ship quite a bit I'm sure.

She also told me not to worry about breakage, things are different now than before. Now I'm sorry I didn't wrap stuff up better, might be some broken items. Oh cr@p.
Posted By: princessazlea Re: Cost of shipping.... - March 14th, 2007 at 11:00 AM
Tamara, postage shipping here is expensive. I had a box to send to Penny, when they told me how much it would cost I nearly passed out. laugh
But what they did say was if I was to break the parcel down into two it would cost me less. thumbup
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Cost of shipping.... - March 14th, 2007 at 03:21 PM
tamara, i was referring to the postal service here in the us...canada post may not offer flat-rate packaging.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Cost of shipping.... - March 14th, 2007 at 03:23 PM
No....i dont think its available here for us...wish it was.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]