A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Anonymous Something is fishy here.... - February 25th, 2007 at 08:44 PM
I just mega cleaned my big tank out and figured I'd show it off----well I guess I'll show the fish off too! I'm a proud fish momma! grinnnn

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Something is fishy here.... - February 25th, 2007 at 09:18 PM
Loz what do you mean MEGA cleaned? you didn't take all the water out did you...( I am sure you did fine)

Looks Great! You fish are so pretty! thumbup
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Something is fishy here.... - February 25th, 2007 at 11:42 PM
That is soooo nice, loz!
I love your fish too!

I've been cleaning tanks in this house 1 at a time!
It's a never ending process here, what with 2 10 gallon, 1 5 gallon, one 3 gallon, and 1 39 gallon!!! I'm up to the second 10 gallon, and then I start all over again!

Did you get a look at my thread about whether the dalmation fish is now pregnant?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Something is fishy here.... - February 25th, 2007 at 11:54 PM
Rita, I did a major cleaning---I know I shouldn't but I couldn't stand it anymore....the tank was filthy and I couldn't clean it with all of that water/fish in it....but I think they'll be fine---when I first got the tank I threw them all in the same day I got it, they're tough goldfish....and they seem so happy, it's like they are almost frollicking... laugh

Lynne, I'd go nuts with that many to clean...seriously, although this one is hard on me because the fish are so big and they have bowel movements nonstop.(Censor wouldn't let me use the p word) Once they are in the pond I'm getting some small tetra's or something. laugh So yeh, it sounds like you're cleaning non stop...do you syphon out into a bucket or something? I use a 5 gallon bucket and it gets so heavy and I'm always filling/emptying it.

These fish are lucky I love 'em! thumbup

I'll go check your topic out now, I wanted to keep on top of it but I must've forgot. shocked
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Something is fishy here.... - February 26th, 2007 at 03:54 AM
loz - I syphon into watering cans and then use it to water my plants - I've been doing that for years - good fertilizer!!!
Posted By: hisgal2 Re: Something is fishy here.... - February 27th, 2007 at 12:21 AM
Loz, does your tank grow algea? It looks like its in a sunny spot. Stephen was told that with goldfish, if the tank is in a sunny spot that it will grow more algea faster. He just got a couple of snails and they cleaned it right up..........and they didn't have baby snails like the pet shop said they would either. Just and FYI. smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Something is fishy here.... - February 27th, 2007 at 12:38 AM
It does grow algae, but it's not in a sunny spot. perpl Maybe it's from having the light on too much. Ya think?

The light that you see on the tank is the flash from the camera...I need snails, I had some in my pond and I should've thrown a few in the tank but I forgot. shocked
Posted By: Patty S Re: Something is fishy here.... - February 27th, 2007 at 01:00 AM
The sun doesn't shine on my tank, but algae builds up anyway. I asked my aquarium shop lady if that was happening because I left the light on all the time, & she told me that algae will grow anyway, with just ambient light that comes in the house during the day ...although it'll grow faster in direct sunlight.

She also told me to turn the tank light off at night, cuz fish need a darkness period so they can rest, as they don't have eyelids that close the light out like we do. (Darn! The lit aquarium made such a cool night light!)
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Something is fishy here.... - February 27th, 2007 at 01:54 AM
Thanks for the info Patty! thumbup Glad it's not just me with the algae...it can get pretty bad in mine too. I need an algae eater and some snails! thumbup

I always turn the lights out on them at night...I wish you could all see them right now, they remind me of puppies in a way--the way they act. They get so darn excited when I pull out the fish food container. laugh
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Something is fishy here.... - February 27th, 2007 at 04:28 AM
sunlight shining directly on the tank water will cause green algea to grow.

you'll still get it growing even if the tank is not in direct sunlight - just won't grow as quickly.

other types of algea (other colors) will grow for different reasons - water too hot, too many fish in too small a tank and the filtering isn't good enough to compensate (excess pee/poo issue), feeding too much and there's bits of the flakes decomposing, etc.

even with really good filtering - even those under-gravel types - you still need to do some manner of water exchange and manual cleaning at least every 10 days or so. frequency depends on what size tank and how many fish are in it. also, if you have something that will scavange and/or clean the glass, you can push back the water exchange/manual cleaning by a few days as they will be doing a bit of that for you.

i always had really good luck with the chinese sucker fish...NOT the siamese ones (they're nasty fellas). the will scavange around and clean the gravel and they clean the glass too.
Posted By: sibyl Re: Something is fishy here.... - March 2nd, 2007 at 07:19 PM
love your fish loz!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Something is fishy here.... - March 3rd, 2007 at 01:08 AM
Thank you! Getting my aquarium was one of the best things I ever did! thumbup
Posted By: Triss Re: Something is fishy here.... - March 3rd, 2007 at 01:35 AM
Looks awesome Loz! I love the colors of all your fish.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Something is fishy here.... - March 3rd, 2007 at 03:49 PM
I love the multicolored ones too(shubunkins), mom and dad bought them for my pond last year so I named them mo and faye! laugh

It's so funny watching them at feeding time. When I pick up their thing of food pellets they become almost like dogs wagging their tails in excitement. laugh They know what me picking that up means--dinner! laugh
Posted By: sibyl Re: Something is fishy here.... - March 5th, 2007 at 05:32 AM
laugh that is funny how they do that! laugh
i think fish are alot smarter than we think they are thumbup
Posted By: faerywatcher Re: Something is fishy here.... - March 7th, 2007 at 05:28 AM
i love your fish and tank! i would love to have one but i have battles with my ponds outside, so i don't think i should try my hand with aquariums! frown
Posted By: sibyl Re: Something is fishy here.... - March 8th, 2007 at 04:45 PM
woo hoo! loz i got 2 shubunkins last night at wally world! there so cool!

my tanks not as big, its small. but they seem to like it.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Something is fishy here.... - March 8th, 2007 at 05:30 PM
Tank looks great Loz....and i'd like to see a pic of your new fish babies Christy!!
Posted By: sibyl Re: Something is fishy here.... - March 8th, 2007 at 08:52 PM
i'll get a pic tonight when the batteries are charged wink
Posted By: April Coria Re: Something is fishy here.... - March 10th, 2007 at 02:53 PM
the fish are cool looking i like the one that showed the spotted one up close... we had lots of fish growing up but it started with two guppies my brother caught in the canal by my grandparents house..our grandfather or "pawpaw" as we called him bought a fish tank for them and the numbers grew like crazy before long we had tons of fish with all different colors and soo many cross breads...lol in the end we had like 4 gold fish one was white with a big redish dot on its head and it was huge!!! we called it moby cause it was the biggest one we ever had! we had some algae eaters along the way... couple of chinese algae eaters that stayed small and one brown and black spotted one that got to be between 6 and 8 inches before it died but it was old too at least for a fish it was...
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]