A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: cancolgirl What should I ask for? - February 25th, 2007 at 05:28 AM
So I have a friend who is in Thailand and coming back in a few months. What seeds should I ask him to bring back that I wouldn't be able to find here? the last time he came back he brought me some that were easily found here. Any suggestions?
Posted By: sibyl Re: What should I ask for? - February 25th, 2007 at 03:29 PM
i have no idea, but how cool is that! what are thailands native plants? maybe those would be good.
Posted By: Carly Re: What should I ask for? - February 25th, 2007 at 04:33 PM
Well, what's important is to find out how they'll survive in Alberta.

No point going to a lot of trouble then find out a plant doesn't survive here.
Posted By: sibyl Re: What should I ask for? - February 25th, 2007 at 09:27 PM
going through the trouble is half the fun wink
and most plants that arnt for your zone you can still grow. just diffrent in ways, like us colder zones grow tropicals as house plants and tender bulbs we dig up for winter as were some can keep em in the ground all year. thumbup
Posted By: cancolgirl Re: What should I ask for? - February 26th, 2007 at 12:52 AM
I don't mind trying new things even if they don't turn out. And I know most things can grow everywhere, with the difference that here they would be annuals as opposed to perennials. Our summers here maybe short, but boy are they hot.And I start everything indoors anyway which give that extra bit of time. So any ideas?
Posted By: angelblossom Re: What should I ask for? - February 26th, 2007 at 01:28 AM
they have a parrot flower that is awesome! But it is against the law to bring here and the seeds are a rare find.. Have you looked up native plants???

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Rare%20Thailand%20Parrot%20Flower%20SP.html
Posted By: sibyl Re: What should I ask for? - February 26th, 2007 at 07:54 PM
wow! diane! thats cool! i tried looking up thailand plants and got lost!lol!
cancolgirl have you decided yet? i think the parrot flower would be great!
Posted By: tkhooper Re: What should I ask for? - February 26th, 2007 at 11:07 PM
I like woodroses but they take to much space to be able to grow in a cold climate. But they would make great trade seeds with some of our warmer zone members. And I love the look of the seed pods themselves. Great for dried flower arrangements.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]