A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Patty S Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 2nd, 2007 at 07:51 AM
I think it was Lynne who asked me what Shelly has growing in her yard on Maui. Here are some of the pics that she sent me today. She told me the names of the ones she knows, & others we're not sure of... so don't be afraid to jump in if you know something we don't!

Young Banana trees (upper right). We don't know what the lacy foliage to the left is.
[Linked Image]
I should know what this is, down in the left corner, but my mind is drawing a blank.

More mature Bananas near the deck.
[Linked Image]
Shelly tells me that banana trees grow fast & they only bear fruit 1 time, then send up shoots for new plants.

Mango trees are in the background above, & here's a full view.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Patty S Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 2nd, 2007 at 07:57 AM
I'd never heard of planting a tree with a placenta before, but I guess that's what they do these days to commemorate a baby's birth!
[Linked Image]

Petunias grow near Lil' Naomi's Mango tree.
[Linked Image]

The ribboned stakes (in the background above) mark some of the Papaya trees that were started from seed in early October.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Patty S Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 2nd, 2007 at 07:58 AM
I have a Split-leaf Philodendron, but wouldn't be able to keep it in the house if it got this big!!
[Linked Image]

New Guinea Impatiens.
[Linked Image]
(Another Split-leaf Philodendron in the center of the pic, & Ivy on the right... which Shelly says would like to take over their yard.)

I'm almost sure these are Cannas (Shelly says they're purple & grow on a long stem), growing at the base of a palm tree.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Patty S Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 2nd, 2007 at 08:10 AM
Here's proof that green & blue DON'T clash!

Royal Palms in the front yard.
[Linked Image]
I'm told that these palms don't make coconuts... but I forgot to ask what those fuzzy things are!

Shooting Star Gardenia (Jasminoides Gardenia)
[Linked Image]

Second view... (Shelly says that the flowers don't usually look droopy when they're watered right, but stand up nice & firm with star shapes.) [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Patty S Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 2nd, 2007 at 08:18 AM
Eucalyptus tree at the edge of the back yard, & Mango trees to the right.
[Linked Image]

No self-respecting back yard would be complete without a veggie garden. This is her first year at this location, so everything is just getting started.... while most of us on the mainland have to wait! [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Tomatoes

[Linked Image]
Bib Lettuce

[Linked Image]
Rainbow Chard

(I don't know what the big leaves are.)
Posted By: Patty S Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 2nd, 2007 at 08:43 AM
Fan Palm
[Linked Image]
Shelly tells me that while this palm looks "flat", you can walk around & look at it from all sides & it looks the same! nutz

Bamboo & Lavender.
[Linked Image]

Maui has been battered with high winds recently, breaking some Papaya trees & ripping branches off.
[Linked Image]
**Do not adjust your vertical hold**
This was taken through the screening on the deck!

Shelly says that her yard is a beat up mess right now, & she's glad that she took most of her yard pics a couple weeks ago.
Posted By: Patty S Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 2nd, 2007 at 09:00 AM
Can you imagine complaining about having to clean up the avacados that fall in your yard? Duh
Posted By: Patty S Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 2nd, 2007 at 09:37 AM
*** Shelly's Mystery Plants ***

#1 A succulent something.
[Linked Image]

#2 She bought this as a little plant in a 4" pot & it took off on her! Duh
[Linked Image]

Close-up
[Linked Image]

OK Lynne, have you seen enough of Shelly's yard yet? laugh Believe it or not, there ARE more pics! (But they're mostly different views of these same things, & I'm already half blind from being in front of this screen, so I'm calling it "good enough"!)
Now I think I understand better, why I have to wait for baby pics! She does manage to put some time into her yard, but of course we know all too well that there's never enough time ... & we don't have new babies! If I had a yard the size of hers, I'd never get back into the house!
[Linked Image]I wonder if we'd get more done if we didn't have to pack everything up for winter every year, then wait so long for garden season to get under way again!
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 2nd, 2007 at 01:03 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

WOWIE WOW!!!

Thanks, Patty! I love seeing how lush everything is there, especially at this time of year! And have some avocados, huh???

The flowers on the #1 succulent make me think it's in the pepperomia family - they look just like the ones that are on mine now. But I haven't seen that variety before - I really like the colors!

Her veggie garden is looking great! And I love that palm that looks flat in the picture. We saw some of the same type in Puerto Rico.

I knew the leaves of the gardenia, but have never seen a shooting star variety - too cool! And the fig leaf palms look so healthy!

Good work, Shelly! It's only a matter of time before Lil' Naomi will be out there helping along!
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 2nd, 2007 at 01:09 PM
By the way... we have the same sky chair that she has hanging there - Brian has one in his room, and we used to have 2 hanging from the bottom of our second story deck - that is before the birds decided it was a great place to perch, and completely destroyed the canvas with their droppings!!! frown
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 2nd, 2007 at 01:39 PM
What a beautiful spot she has there!!!!
Posted By: plantqueen Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 2nd, 2007 at 05:09 PM
Those are wonderul pics! Beautiful! My parents are actually in Maui right now! thumbup
Posted By: Triss Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 2nd, 2007 at 05:40 PM
What an awesome garden she has. I would just love all of that lush green stuff growing in my yard. I dunno about Shelly's mysteries but the plants under the palm That Shelly says has blue flowers may be a Lily Of the Nile.

Thanks for sharing Patty!
Posted By: ksgardnr Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 2nd, 2007 at 05:54 PM
Patty, thank you for sharing those beautiful pictures! I needed something like that to warm these bones up with, so cold here! That fan palm is awesome, & I would love to reach up & grab some of those avocados! cool
Posted By: kennyso Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 2nd, 2007 at 06:09 PM
Thanks Patty! Imagine all the mangos, papayas, bananas, and avacados you could just pick off the trees! I absolutely love all those palm trees! Wonderful garden she has going there. BTW is Maui close or in Hawaii?
Posted By: Patty S Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 2nd, 2007 at 07:27 PM
Kenny, I've never been big on geography either! Duh Isn't it weird, how birds can have so darned many trees to hang out in, yet they generate toward OUR things to perch on? ...& leave behind samples of the best bleach/paint stipper on earth! eek

Here's a bone warming description for you, even though it was cloudy when she took the pic, so we can't see the mountain...
...from Shelly's e-mail:
From our guest room window you can see the baby mango tree, and on a clear day there's a view of Haleakala mountain and all the majestic trees. Nothing fancy, but a very cozy room with a super relaxing view.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 2nd, 2007 at 07:38 PM
ooooooooops - my mistake - I was talking about the split leaf philodendrons. Chalk it up to my sleepless state - I've napped now and saw my mistake!
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 2nd, 2007 at 08:24 PM
Ohhhh WooooooW Patty.. What a dream it would be to live there .. It's sooo beautiful!! Thanks for posting the pictures thumbup flw flw
Posted By: dodge Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 3rd, 2007 at 12:45 AM
Wow they have gorgous tropical plants. thumbup

Is their climate full of moisture? It sure looks nice?
They say that makes them grow so good.

grinnnn
Posted By: Patty S Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 3rd, 2007 at 01:43 AM
Dodge, it seems to me that since those islands are sort of in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, the humidity would be pretty high.

The Islands are also just a tad south of the Tropic of Cancer & the trade winds cause average (year round) temps to stay between 72* & 85*F (around sea level) as they bring warm air across the ocean from the equator.

I'd say that other than at the higher elevations along the chain of islands... (some places DO get snow) shk ...Hawaii is the equivilant of one big greenhouse!

Hmmmm [Linked Image] Maybe that's why they're called "tropical islands"!
Posted By: dodge Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 3rd, 2007 at 02:00 AM
Are you the one with a daughter there/
I know it is so beautiful.......
What type of house do they live in?
How we wish we looked that good..
Posted By: nmlAlba-dC15 Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 3rd, 2007 at 03:20 AM
Hi Patty...
Hi Dodge...

mmm Hawaii is such a lovely place isnt it... but m not so keen to go there...s da situation there is very much like Malaysia.....i'd rather go to Pennsylvannia or Oregon...sigh..tho i know thatz just wishful thinking!!
Posted By: dodge Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 3rd, 2007 at 03:35 AM
Hi nml

Long time no see......
United states think Hawaii is a dream come true.
ha ha

Wanted to tell you, I think the one large black seed of yours is growing .. About 3 inches tall and 2 leaves.. Will send a photo later.
Haven't seen you around .

doge
Posted By: Michael15r Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 3rd, 2007 at 11:27 PM
Everything is so wonderfully lush!. So beautiful I must say!
Posted By: dodge Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 4th, 2007 at 12:24 AM
Thats the word Mike.

Lush and lovely.......
Posted By: nmlAlba-dC15 Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 4th, 2007 at 03:35 AM
Congrats Momma Dodge!
Posted By: dodge Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 4th, 2007 at 03:43 AM
nml............

Do you know the name of what the large black seed is ? Has leafs now........

Gee I get a pat on the back huh?

Are you behaving yourself?

Whats bloomin in your yard/

dodge
Posted By: nmlAlba-dC15 Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 4th, 2007 at 04:29 AM
Think it is Winged Bean..remember?

Posted some pics in Blooming Fine 23...
Posted By: Patty S Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 4th, 2007 at 04:59 AM
Yes, Hawaii IS a beautiful place... especially if you're a gardener! I think I can understand why we don't seem to hear much from the 9 forum members (9 as far as I can tell) that live in Hawaii. (They're too busy gardening 365 days a year, to hang out with us!) I do wish they could find the time, cuz the plant life there is so amazing, I'd love to see more pics of what people have growing over there!

I asked Shelly about the fuzzy pom-pom things on those Royal Palms, & she said that she thinks those must be the "blossoms". I blew up a part of her pic, to see if we could get a close-up view. (Not very good... I'll see if I can get her to take a telephoto shot of it, cuz I, for one, am intrigued with this!) Duh </i> Hawaii is somewhere around 140 miles north of the equator, so I'm guessing that it might not be as hot as Malaysia. (Speaking primarily about sea level locations.) Heck, now that I think about it, I guess the climates would depend a lot on the land mass size, as well as elevation. OK, now I'm starting to confuse myself again... I think! nutz

And.... don't look now, but Hawaii IS part of the United States!
(Just giving you a bad time... I know that you meant the "continental" US!) wink
But, just think about it... we complain about winter when we can't get out & play in the dirt, but it just might be a blessing in disguise! For most of us, the bugs die off because of the cold, whereas in Hawaii there are creepy crawlys just thriving away, year round! The other thing is (& we don't like admitting it), we NEED the break... even if it IS usually longer than we would like it to be!
Posted By: nmlAlba-dC15 Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 4th, 2007 at 05:22 AM
Hi Patty...

May b Hawaii has cooler temps n cooler places n cooler plants... may b some of da plants they have we do not n probably too vice versa..not so sure myself...

but a lot of the plants r da same... may b i could send a pic of da infloresence on da palm trees we have around da campus where i teach...i dont have 'em in my garden except da ordinary coconuts... simply coz there too many other flowering plants that capture my attention away from 'em!!
Posted By: nmlAlba-dC15 Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 4th, 2007 at 05:28 AM
Hi Patty...

May b Hawaii has cooler temps n cooler places n cooler plants... may b some of da plants they have we do not n probably too vice versa..not so sure myself...

but a lot of the plants r da same... may b i could send a pic of da infloresence on da palm trees we have around da campus where i teach...i dont have 'em in my garden except da ordinary coconuts... simply coz there too many other flowering plants that capture my attention away from 'em!!
Posted By: Patty S Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 4th, 2007 at 07:55 AM
Norhaini, I can understand how gorgeous flowers like the ones you have might take a person's attention away from trees **even Palm trees** if you see them every day... which most of us here, DON'T! [Linked Image]

If you can get pics of the inflorescence on the trees on campus, PLEASE DO bring them here! I'd never wondered about Palm trees before, but they sure have my attention since Shelly sent me those pics! ("Inflorescence" isn't a term that I see around here very much, but I know what it means. Thanks for using the word I couldn't think of when I was writing my previous post!) thumbup

When I started this topic, I thought of you & your tropical plants, & thought about naming it "Blooming Fine - In The Tropics"... but I knew that you've been posting pics in the traditional "Blooming Fine" thread already, so I didn't think you'd want to change ...but if you (or anyone else) would like to put any of your tropicals here, please feel free to do so! [Linked Image]
(The one thing I would like to ask of you & Dodge though, is if you would please take your off topic chit chat to a PM, or start a topic of your own in Banter Hall. Thanks.)
Posted By: dodge Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 4th, 2007 at 01:31 PM
nml, & PattyS,

Thanks for the educational theorys.

Now I know more....Yes i heard warmer place are buggy too......
Nice to look at any ways.

nml,

What seeds are showing there?

dodge
Posted By: nmlAlba-dC15 Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 5th, 2007 at 05:31 AM
Hi Patty...

Sorry about da 'off topic' thing again...

Hi Dodge..sorry i dare not answer your question here...LOL...

Here r da pics i promised...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is just one species of Palm ...there r soo many other types...this is much smaller than da one in your daughter's picture...

Enjoy..n have a nice day...
Posted By: dodge Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 5th, 2007 at 01:42 PM
nml
Lovely

Palms......
Us ladys of greed on here would cover the earth with all our seeds.............

Hey it was -12 here this morning ..Doubt if those palms would make it .

b
Posted By: Carly Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 11th, 2007 at 11:50 AM
Oh, you can have avacodos fall into my yard any time.
Posted By: dodge Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 11th, 2007 at 01:39 PM
All we can do is gauck at your photos.. Lush and Lucky.

Thanks for the lovely photos..Keep them coming.

d
Posted By: Patty S Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 12th, 2007 at 12:37 AM
Wow, Norhaini! [Linked Image]
Thanx for posting those. Your closeups are great! clp

I've been so sidetracked, I didn't get back to this thread until now. shocked
I can't imagine seeing things like that in my yard every day! ("Gawk" is the right word for it, Dodge! It's just amazing!)

Are those berries & things messy when they start falling around on the ground? I've looked around on the Web for info on the "fruit" of the Royal Palm, but haven't found anything yet. I'm waiting to hear if Shelly has any more info.
Posted By: Patty S Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 15th, 2007 at 06:36 PM
Shelly just sent me pics of those weird looking inflorescence berries on her Royal Palms...

Boy, she hit this just right, when she had a rainbow!
[Linked Image]

Here is what the inflorescence looks like, up close.
[Linked Image]

Her driveway was swept clean (cuz they can be slick underfoot), but they sure leave a mess in the yard! (Close up inserted. I don't know what the greenery is, at the base of the tree.)
[Linked Image]

This is what the different "seeds" look like, close up.
[Linked Image]
I want her to send me some of those! I don't know if they're really seeds, but I'm willing to play around with them! If I'm not mistaken, they wouldn't grow to be so tall indoors... (EEK! Would I be in twubble! I don't have 80 foot ceilings!) ...but they'd probably dwarf because the lighting, temps & humidity conditions wouldn't be conducive to normal growth. Duh

She tells me that when their spotlights are on, under the trees at night, it's an awesome sight... Can you just imagine having such beautiful trees right outside your window? [Linked Image] What a lucky girl!!
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 15th, 2007 at 06:46 PM
What a beautiful shot Patty....very pretty thumbup thumbup thumbup
Posted By: dodge Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 15th, 2007 at 07:20 PM
Clever too.

parte
Posted By: melcon6 Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 15th, 2007 at 07:43 PM
Even the rainbows are prettier on Maui!!!! I don't know what those are but it sure looks warm!

yes, very clever indeed.............

b
Posted By: Patty S Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 15th, 2007 at 07:48 PM
OK, what am I missing here? perpl
WHAT is so darned "CLEVER"?
(I think someone needs a NAP... might be ME!) nutz

p
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 15th, 2007 at 07:53 PM
Wow that rainbow shot is amazing! thumbup
Posted By: dodge Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 15th, 2007 at 08:17 PM
Rainbow shot......

Lots closer than penna..
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 16th, 2007 at 12:25 AM
Very nice pictures - especially the ones with the rainbow!
We used to get some good ones here, but haven't seen one in a long time. The double ones in Alaska were the best!

That ground plant - could it be iceplant?
The long leaves look like it, but would it grow there?

The berries sure are interesting - hard to believe a tree that size would come from those seeds!
Posted By: Triss Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 16th, 2007 at 05:35 PM
Love those new shots Patty! So pretty!
Posted By: Patty S Re: Blooming Fine - - on Maui **Photo Heavy** - February 16th, 2007 at 08:45 PM
I don't see why Ice plant wouldn't grow there, Lynne, but I asked Shelly & she said that the greenery at the base of the tree is some type of grass.

She also said that the next time she sends a package here, she'll include some tree "droppings"! (She just mailed a package the other day, but didn't think about it, & my request a day late!) [Linked Image]
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]