A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: badplanter I got a job! - March 14th, 2007 at 09:59 PM
wavey

Just thought I'd share with everyone... my high school hired me as a "student aid" during zero period[7 am to 8 am] Monday thru Friday! I'll have to be filing papers, making envelopes, etc... all that school stuff that teacher need.. laugh

I'll be making minimum wage[ laugh ], and although it's not much, it's pretty good for a 14-almost-15 year old kid.. laugh so with all the taxes taken out, I'll be making about $100 a month.. laugh grinnnn

I start Monday.. my first job grinnnn laugh
Posted By: hisgal2 Re: I got a job! - March 14th, 2007 at 10:03 PM
Good job! ...did you need to get working papers to work since your under 16? I had to do that when I was younger...was a pain.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: I got a job! - March 14th, 2007 at 10:07 PM
That is so great Mark, and hey $100 a month is better than nothing right?

Good job! thumbup clp
Posted By: chenno Re: I got a job! - March 14th, 2007 at 10:07 PM
Congrats Mark thumbup How cool! Good for you! Sounds better than my 1st job, at about your age, Dishwasher..Happy for ya!
Posted By: Tonya Re: I got a job! - March 14th, 2007 at 10:08 PM
Way to go Sprout!! clp clp What are you planning to do with the money??
Posted By: badplanter Re: I got a job! - March 14th, 2007 at 10:12 PM
Thanks guys! thumbup

Yes, I had to fill out working papers... did that 2 months ago or so... but they didn't "offer me the position" until this morning..

I'm not exactly sure what i'm going to do with it.. I know everyone month I'm putting half of it [ around $50 ] away into a bank account, and I'll probably just hang on to the rest for whatever I may need it for.. a new bowling ball, to go bowling, things like that thumbup
Posted By: Tonya Re: I got a job! - March 14th, 2007 at 10:20 PM
Smart boy to put half back!! kissies
Posted By: weezie13 Re: I got a job! - March 14th, 2007 at 10:23 PM
I was going to mention exactly what you said..
Make sure you save half!

Back when I worked, I'd take my money and put it in envelopes, labeled...
Car
Gas
Bills
Grocery
Fun Stuff

And I'd fill accordingly to what each needed or what I had left over...

Gosh, do I miss those days when I had money!!!

My first job I was a cocktail waitress,
then got promoted to a busgirl... :rolleyes: thennnnnnnnnn a dishwasher wink laugh
Posted By: jonni13 Re: I got a job! - March 14th, 2007 at 10:51 PM
Good job, Mark. thumbup
Posted By: kennyso Re: I got a job! - March 14th, 2007 at 11:16 PM
I want to find a job soon, our school doesn't pay students, that sucks! Maybe I could sell cut flowers in the summer laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: I got a job! - March 14th, 2007 at 11:24 PM
Way to go, Mark! thumbup

so with all the taxes taken out, I'll be making about $100 a month..
uhhh...you forgot about that 25% fee...so you'll actually be making $75!

I'll PM you my...I mean, THE address where you are supposed to send that fee... lala
Posted By: badplanter Re: I got a job! - March 14th, 2007 at 11:36 PM
laugh laugh laugh lala laugh
Posted By: Shirley4 Re: I got a job! - March 14th, 2007 at 11:55 PM
Good for you Mark! Maybe more stuff for your garden?!
My first job was at 14 in a Woolsworth dime store
Posted By: angelblossom Re: I got a job! - March 15th, 2007 at 01:09 AM
Good for you Mark!!! Congrats!! IT's great they have a program for students like that with a wage . thumbup

My first Job was when I was 13 working in a grade school library during summer school I think I was makeing $1.75 an hour laugh laugh
Posted By: Dixie Angel Re: I got a job! - March 15th, 2007 at 01:43 AM
Congratulations, Sprout!
Posted By: comfrey Re: I got a job! - March 15th, 2007 at 02:01 AM
Congratulations Mark!!!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: I got a job! - March 15th, 2007 at 02:07 AM
i'm so happy for you mark! clp my first job was stacking bricks, for a penny for every 2 bricks. but, it was money, and i worked hard and earned what i could!

i know you will do the same and spend it wisely sometimes, and foolishly others, but remember to do something nice for yourself and someone you love each payday. you'll enjoy the money better each time.

and remember a new plant can boost the spirits greatly!
Posted By: sibyl Re: I got a job! - March 15th, 2007 at 06:31 AM
thumbup i bet you do a good job!

my first job at 15 was through the school, we got to pick our jobs, i didnt want to work in the school cause i spent all year there! laugh didnt want to spend my summer there too!! i worked in a food bank warehouse.
Posted By: kodell Re: I got a job! - March 15th, 2007 at 11:29 AM
good job mark. i think you will have fun. thumbup

my first job was working in the hay fields mowing and raking hay. i miss that job!!!
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: I got a job! - March 15th, 2007 at 01:47 PM
Way to go Mark thumbup thumbup thumbup
Posted By: plantqueen Re: I got a job! - March 15th, 2007 at 02:02 PM
That is awesome Mark! thumbup It is always nice to have your own money!

My first job was picking rock in the summers starting when I was about 11. That was not fun! :p
Posted By: ksgardnr Re: I got a job! - March 15th, 2007 at 03:33 PM
Way to go Mark! You will definitely like the extra income, especially for your gardening
"needs!"

My first job was at a pet store washing dogs before their grooming, very interesting experience! laugh
Posted By: MLN Re: I got a job! - March 15th, 2007 at 04:37 PM
Good for you Mark! In a time when the media likes to focus on all the bad stuff teens do, I wish they would give some press time to kids like you who are down-to-earth hard-working good kids. BTW, I'm old enough my first job was babysitting for 50 cents an hour shk
Posted By: shanbear Re: I got a job! - March 15th, 2007 at 06:08 PM
GTG Mark! It sounds like a great first job!
Posted By: badplanter Re: I got a job! - March 15th, 2007 at 07:14 PM
Thanks, everyone kissies shocked thumbup
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: I got a job! - March 16th, 2007 at 04:29 PM
Congratulations Mark!

One's first job is soooooo exciting, and it sounds like yours is a good one! You're very wise to put half into savings. Since my kids were born, anytime they got a gift of money, I've always put 1/2 of it into their college savings account. It was a way of life here, and they knew that, when they were old enough to realize that they were being giving cash for a gift.

Brian, now almost 24, now knows how to save money, instead of spending it all right away when he gets a paycheck. That's how he managed to buy himself a car after only working at his current job for 7 months.

I can't wait to hear what you do decide to spend your money on, once you start getting paid. The first thing I saved up for when I was babysitting as a teen, was my very own phone for my bedroom. We had 2 phone lines, so it was pretty expensive, but I was OH-SO-Proud of myself when I had enough to get the phone!
Posted By: Triss Re: I got a job! - March 17th, 2007 at 02:34 AM
Way to go Mark!!! Congrats on getting the job, I am sure you will do an awesome job!
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: I got a job! - March 17th, 2007 at 02:38 AM
Mark-it's gardening money ! thumbup
Congrats !
Posted By: badplanter Re: I got a job! - March 17th, 2007 at 02:45 AM
thanks again!

Mark-it's gardening money
That it is! laugh laugh thumbup

I'm planning on buying a fence to border my veggie garden, and another plant light.. laugh laugh

I already know what i'm spening it on! sca laugh lala
Posted By: Kratz7 Re: I got a job! - March 17th, 2007 at 11:51 AM
Congratulations
On landing a first job Sprout. wavey
I'm glad to hear you are banking half of the money. That is certainly a wise choice...... thumbup

I started out babysitting and then as a waitress at our local hospital's snack shop(many years ago). Those were the days....

Good Luck,

Kratz7
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]