A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Physicist Greetings from Mexico - August 27th, 2006 at 05:01 PM
Hello,

I am looking forward to using this site :-)
I have pineapple, kiwi, kohlrabi,leek, grapes, banana, various different varieties of tomatoes, cantaloup melons, cucumbers, garlic, chayote squash, runner beans, onions, a variety of herbs and a tremendous amount of different chili plants (Poblano, Habanero, Jalapeño, Serrano, etc.)in my garden or plant pots.

I also have a lot of cacti and various different aloe plants. I have Jasmine, Begonia, Mexican Christmas flowers (Nochebuena) and quite a few other flowers, including some nocturnal blooming plants.

I would really like to grow blackberries, raspberries and other berries but have not found seeds for sale here, and don't know how difficult it may be to buy them from abroad.
Posted By: princessazlea Re: Greetings from Mexico - August 27th, 2006 at 10:51 PM
Hello wavey
Welcome to the forum
Nice to meet you.
flw flw flw
Posted By: Wrennie Re: Greetings from Mexico - August 28th, 2006 at 12:02 AM
Welcome! wavey
Posted By: G~mom Re: Greetings from Mexico - August 28th, 2006 at 01:59 AM
[Linked Image]

It's a pleasure to meet you!

G~Mom
Posted By: Jon Re: Greetings from Mexico - August 28th, 2006 at 01:01 PM
Welcome to the board

As to growing the berries - should be no problem where you are. Heck - I thought my berries were dead and they came back - and I'm in the Mojave Desert - 30 minutes to Death Valley, in fact.

As to the best way to grow them - - I've found that it is easier to start them from plant cuttings than it is to start from seed. From the list of plants you are growing - I will assume that you know how to get a cutting to take root. If not, there are a lot of helpful folks on this board who can explain it better than I can.

Again - welcome to the board.

Jon
Posted By: Physicist Re: Greetings from Mexico - August 28th, 2006 at 03:14 PM
Hello,

Thank you. My problem is getting the seeds or whatever to try!

I rarely ever even see berries in the supermarket here :-(

I have tried drying seeds from supermarket specimens (various berries), but have had no luck with them. I am going to see if a friend can buy some seeds in the USA and send them to me :-) We just don't know if they will get confiscated at customs, or if they will manage to get here after they go through customs.

Thanks again!
Posted By: patches1414 Re: Greetings from Mexico - August 28th, 2006 at 06:57 PM
[Linked Image]

Hi Physicist wavey , and welcome to the forum! smile It's so nice to meet you and I hope to be seeing you around on some of the forums! wink

Have a beautiful day! flw flw flw
Posted By: Physicist Re: Greetings from Mexico - August 28th, 2006 at 07:08 PM
Thank you everybody!

Have a nice day!!!
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Greetings from Mexico - August 28th, 2006 at 11:59 PM
Hi there.

Welcome to the Forum..
Posted By: Physicist Re: Greetings from Mexico - August 29th, 2006 at 03:43 AM
Thanks!

Have a nice day!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Greetings from Mexico - August 29th, 2006 at 05:24 AM
[Linked Image]

Thanks for joing us and welcome to the forum! wavey
Posted By: Physicist Re: Greetings from Mexico - August 29th, 2006 at 05:32 AM
Thanks!

I'm sure I will!
Posted By: chenno Re: Greetings from Mexico - August 29th, 2006 at 07:00 AM
Welcome 2 you wavey
Posted By: Physicist Re: Greetings from Mexico - August 29th, 2006 at 07:59 AM
Thanks!
Posted By: chenno Re: Greetings from Mexico - August 29th, 2006 at 08:21 AM
Your welcome...May I ask what you do with all your jalapenos and peppers?
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Greetings from Mexico - August 29th, 2006 at 08:29 AM
Good question!! I wanna know too!!

Welcome to the forum!! wavey
Posted By: Physicist Re: Greetings from Mexico - August 29th, 2006 at 09:15 AM
Hello,

I eat them. My favourites are the Poblanos and Caribeños. They go into almost everything I cook, chopped up. I really like stuffed Poblanos and Caribeños but only eat them when I go out to restaurants because they take for ever to prepare, and I don't usually cook anything that takes over 15 minutes!

When I do eat out, I like Poblanos stuffed with cheese (and they cover them with batter and deep-fry them, and serve them with tomato puree poured over them), and Caribeños stuffed with smoked marlin (they fry those in batter too, and where I eat them they serve them like a taco on a tortilla and I put chipotle chili sauce on them. They are known as "Toritos de Marlin").

I also sometimes chop up a jalapeño now and again and mix it in with scrambled eggs together with chopped onions for breakfast. I sometimes add a small amount of jalapeño or Serrano to other dishes too.

I always remove all the seeds (or at least most of them) beforehand. This way I can both dry the seeds for re-planting and also make them less hot. That way you get a nice flavour without feeling your mouth is on fire :-)

I try to have lots of Poblanos and Caribeños because those I eat in relatively large quantities like any other veg (probably more than any other veg actually in my case). I just keep one or two of each kind of the others however (the little hot ones, like serranos, jalapeños, etc) and give away the rest as soon as the plants are large enough, because I just can't use that many of those.

Do you have any peppers?

Have a nice day!
Posted By: Medon Re: Greetings from Mexico - August 29th, 2006 at 09:30 AM
I do have some Habanero peppers...but they have not fully developed yet ha ha they still have only a few leaves on them...but when they grow up I am gonna go crazy I love hot veggies he he

I also really like Poblanos stuffed with cheese one of my favourite things when I go out to restaraunts as well ha ha ^-^;
Posted By: chenno Re: Greetings from Mexico - August 29th, 2006 at 09:35 AM
I have banana,habenero, jalapeno, cayenne and varied hybrids of them...I just love to find new things to do with them:-)I make my own spices, pickle some, make anything I can with them...running out of ideas;-)
Posted By: Physicist Re: Greetings from Mexico - August 29th, 2006 at 10:09 AM
Well...

I don't really use the little ones for anything much other than adding them to dishes in small amounts to spice things up. This is mainly because I don't cook anything very elaborate though. I will try to find some recipes for you.

There are lots of things you can do with the larger ones, like Poblanos and Caribeños, however. I don't much like bell peppers because they are too mild. Poblanos and Caribeños aren't quite so mild, yet they are not terribly hot either, so you can use them quite freely in a large variety of dishes.

Have you tried making Jalapeño Jam (marmalade)? just cook them with sugar as if you were preparing strawberry jam or something...add a little orange to the mixture too...and you get a sweet-hot jam. It tastes good if you put a small drop of it on top of a saltcraker spread with philladelphia cream cheese. I've never seen the recipe anywhere but tasted it once and then made some of my own by guessing at the ingredients. It turned out OK, and didn't take that long to make :-)

It would be interesting to exchange chili seeds (if this is allowed)! I have a few varieties...I will try to photograph them sometime soon.

Have a nice day!!!
Posted By: chenno Re: Greetings from Mexico - August 29th, 2006 at 10:37 AM
I am trying that recipe this week for the jap jam...and yes, look on the forum,if you care to exchange seeds, in the seed exchange..have a good night:-)
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Greetings from Mexico - August 29th, 2006 at 11:47 AM
MMM My grandmother makes a wonderful jap jam!! It is great with dinner rolls!!
Should call and try to pry the recipe from her! haha

Do you can any of your peppers?
Posted By: Physicist Re: Greetings from Mexico - August 29th, 2006 at 01:32 PM
Hello,

No, I just eat them fresh. I have tried pickling other sorts of things in the past but they didn't turn out very well :-(

I'm trying to reduce my intake of canned food anyway :-) and improve my diet in general. That is partly the idea of all the veggies in the garden.
Posted By: Medon Re: Greetings from Mexico - August 29th, 2006 at 01:53 PM
Hmmm...Never made any type of Jam before...How would you make it...it sounds very interesting(and yummy)^-^
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]