A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: HyperFerret Argiope aurantia Pics - February 23rd, 2007 at 02:29 AM
Hello peoples. I actually took these pictures in my veggie garden last year. I didn't know this Critter Corner forum existed. So even though these are not brand new, I'd like to share them with you.

First of all, you gotta understand that I am deathly scared of any and all insects. Especially the insects that can jump far or fly. I'm so scared of insects that I get really nervous around even butterflies. And ladybugs, yeah scared of them too.

Every other other other blue moon I can muster up the courage to snap a picture. I don't own a zoom lens yet so I literally have to get very close to my subject I'm photographing.

Anywho, last year, in my veggie garden I found this spider. I'v seen them before but not this close and I never knew what kind it was. I took the pics and then googled it. This spider is an Argiope aurantia. Commonly known as the Golden Orb Spider or the Golden Garden Spider. I like how, as one of it's defense mechanisms, it will bounce back and forth on it's web. One of the sites I read, it said this spider is harmless. I think I'll still keep my distance! So here's the pics I took.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hope you enjoyed!
Posted By: jonni13 Re: Argiope aurantia Pics - February 23rd, 2007 at 02:54 AM
Very cool spider, Thank you for sharing it.
Posted By: HyperFerret Re: Argiope aurantia Pics - February 23rd, 2007 at 05:31 AM
Thank you! I love his coloration. Though, if he came near me or, heven forbid, TOUCHED me!!! Oh, I would sooooooo totally freak out! Lol.
Posted By: Hi Gator Re: Argiope aurantia Pics - February 23rd, 2007 at 01:17 PM
Hi there,
I also had several garden spiders living around our house. One on the porch, that I would watch each morning. The are very large, but beautiful to watch!!
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Argiope aurantia Pics - February 23rd, 2007 at 02:06 PM
It is really pretty, and like you, I'd keep my distance too thumbup thumbup
Posted By: buzylady Re: Argiope aurantia Pics - February 23rd, 2007 at 06:16 PM
I've had some of those too. And like you googled it. I was glad to fnd out it was harmless. I like their zigzag silk.
Posted By: netty Re: Argiope aurantia Pics - February 23rd, 2007 at 07:40 PM
We have those spiders here too! I first time I saw it I freaked out because it was so big! Last summer we had 2, one on each corner of the house. Maybe this year we'll have more than that. I watched one wrap up and eat a wasp...it was cool. I tried to take pictures but the cheap camera I have couldn't focus on it.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]