A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Carly Do Old Seeds Work? - March 15th, 2007 at 12:44 PM
Somebody left a few packages of store bought seeds on one of my tables in the lobby - I just looked at the date . . .

1988 - 1990!

I don't know if they'll do anything. I'll throw them into the rock garden anyway - if anything, the birds can eat 'em.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Do Old Seeds Work? - March 15th, 2007 at 03:35 PM
Hmmmm...that is a good question Carly...i have some old packets too..not as old as the ones that were left for you, but i have wondered the same thing...i guess there is no harm in trying and like you said..if nothing else, its a snack for the birds thumbup
Good luck!!
Posted By: comfrey Re: Do Old Seeds Work? - March 15th, 2007 at 04:37 PM
It depends on how the seeds were stored and also what kind of seeds that are...On old seeds it is a good idea to soak the seeds before planting, this helps to wake them up if they are still good. Good Luck Carly!!!
Posted By: kennyso Re: Do Old Seeds Work? - March 15th, 2007 at 11:06 PM
there are some seeds tha need to e store (jelly palm) and some that have to be used fresh without being dried (ginko, trillium) stuff with hard seed coats can usually last a while, but the bigger the seed, generally the faster they loose viability (poppy seeds can store longer than say nasturtiums)
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]