A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: ND farm girl Zones - February 28th, 2007 at 01:00 AM
Every time I open a Wayside Gardens magazine, my eye catches on Kaleidoscope. It's zone 6. I am zone 4, but go to 5 if I really want it and have had no problems, yet. I REALLY want this shrub. If I covered it with burlap and mulched it over winter, do you think it's doable? My husband said to try it, I'd just be out the $20.

www.waysidegardens.com
Kaleidoscope
Posted By: ND farm girl Re: Zones - February 28th, 2007 at 01:04 AM
This is it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jonni13 Re: Zones - February 28th, 2007 at 05:35 AM
Patty. That is pretty. I always try to stretch my zone. It works for the most part (although I have lost some to unusual frost this year). If the $20 isn't a major expenditure for you, go for it. And try the burlap/mulch as you are two zones off the plants comfort level. And maybe against a building?
Posted By: Triss Re: Zones - February 28th, 2007 at 05:50 AM
Oh gosh, that is beautiful!!! I would agree with Tina on the mulching, covering and close to a wall or surrounded by other plants to help with the heat.
Posted By: Carly Re: Zones - February 28th, 2007 at 08:44 AM
I don't know if there's anything to this - a friend said to plant up against a fence or wall, facing the south if you're trying to take something over the winter.
Posted By: patches1414 Re: Zones - February 28th, 2007 at 10:02 AM
PattyM, I've sometimes stretched my zone up a notch (depending on the plant) wink , and then provided some additional protection with mulch or other things. However, I never considered going up two zones because I felt there was too much temperature difference to take that chance. Duh Maybe some here has tried it. wink
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Zones - February 28th, 2007 at 12:43 PM
if you have a south facing brick, block, or stone wall, that can give you a good zone plus. plant it up near that.
Posted By: ND farm girl Re: Zones - February 28th, 2007 at 02:41 PM
I'm going to try it! I will let you know spring/summer 2008 if it survived! smile
Posted By: patches1414 Re: Zones - February 28th, 2007 at 06:20 PM
Patty, I'm glad to hear you're going to go for it. thumbup Sometimes the only way you can learn something new is to try it. wink I'm sure we'll all be anxious to know how it works. smile
Posted By: gooderboy Re: Zones - March 3rd, 2007 at 12:19 PM
Hi there Patty, and I would for sure say 'go for it' as well. I'm south of ya, down here in northwest Kansas, and I'm a zone 5'r... and and and, I've been pushin' on some zone 7 stuff for a couple of years now.... and, so far so gooder (still keepin' me fingers crossed on 'em though, lol)... gooder luck to ya.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]