A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Thornius Thorn Makes a Blanket - August 13th, 2006 at 09:57 AM
Most of you know me as The Bird Man, but most of you do NOT know that I have crocheted, knitted, beaded, and done other crafts for over 30 years. I am expecting my third grandchild, FIRST granddaughter, in November. Here is the blanket I finished crocheting for her this morning.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Thorn Makes a Blanket - August 13th, 2006 at 10:35 AM
Thornius! shk Crochet Man!

That is beautiful!
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Thorn Makes a Blanket - August 13th, 2006 at 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Thornius:
Most of you know me as The Bird Man, but most of you do NOT know that I have crocheted, knitted, beaded, and done other crafts for over 30 years. I am expecting my third grandchild, FIRST granddaughter, in November. Here is the blanket I finished crocheting for her this morning.
Well Rosy Greer used to do needlepoint and I wouldn't call him a sissy either.

Those are awful pretty blankets.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Thorn Makes a Blanket - August 13th, 2006 at 02:02 PM
Duh

That is beautiful Thorny!!!! thumbup

My dad can knit...back in WWII he had to knit squares for blankets...most of the boys did.
Posted By: Triss Re: Thorn Makes a Blanket - August 13th, 2006 at 02:17 PM
Thorny, that is a beautiful blanket! Stunning! Great work!!!
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Thorn Makes a Blanket - August 13th, 2006 at 02:24 PM
Beautiful work, Thorny!
What a sweet blanket for a special little girl! thumbup
Posted By: Thornius Re: Thorn Makes a Blanket - August 13th, 2006 at 02:56 PM
Thanks folks. I bought the instruction tools and materials at Walmart. It goes pretty fast only took about 2-3 weeks to make. I have to do the booties and bonnet next and I might make a sacque, too.

I REALLY like to make blankets, throws and afghans. My other love in crochet is hats. I have made literally Hundreds; and I KNOW for a FACT that some of the hats I made were sent to Paris, France and worn through the streets there! My designs have been on public display in one of the fashion capitals of the world! Lookout, Project Runway!
Posted By: Thornius Re: Thorn Makes a Blanket - August 13th, 2006 at 03:04 PM
I like this pattern a lot for many reasons and think that I will make a queen-sized beadspread for our bead out of regular yarn and several colors intead of just two.
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Thorn Makes a Blanket - August 13th, 2006 at 03:44 PM
Thorny - you DO have some pictures of those hats to share with us, don't you?!?
Posted By: comfrey Re: Thorn Makes a Blanket - August 13th, 2006 at 03:59 PM
That is a beautiful blanket Thornius!!!! Great Job
Posted By: Thornius Re: Thorn Makes a Blanket - August 13th, 2006 at 04:05 PM
Not all the hats. The ones in Paris I made 30 years ago. I imagine those crumbled away years ago. I make mainly Ski Caps and Berets now.
Posted By: tamara Re: Thorn Makes a Blanket - August 13th, 2006 at 10:27 PM
I can honestly say that is the most beautiful baby blanket I have ever seen. I can just see a little one wrapped in it.

How touching for a baby to be brought home wrapped in a blankie that her grampie made with so much love for her. Geez, now I'm all choked up. kissies
Posted By: Pekemom Re: Thorn Makes a Blanket - August 14th, 2006 at 01:06 AM
Aren't most of today's major designers men? Beautiful work, Thorny. Are you a "Project Runway" fan?? I never miss that show!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Thorn Makes a Blanket - August 14th, 2006 at 01:20 AM
Nat,
I love those blankets...
*I am a baby blanket lover, I have 3 full 48qt
containers filled with them, from my kids, I refuse to part with..*

I used to crochet, but too many iron's in the fire so to speak, but I too think it's a beautiful sentiment for your grandchildren... kissies cool thumbup thumbup
Posted By: Thornius Re: Thorn Makes a Blanket - August 14th, 2006 at 04:58 AM
Pekemom, my wife and I LOVE Project Runway, America's Next Top Model, and the Angie Dickinson Modelling Agency. We NEVER miss an episode (we have TiVo).

Thanks Tamara, I'll send you the plans when I get my scanner back up. It cost me about $15.00 worth of Bernat Baby Yarn to make and took about 3 weeks.

Thanks, Weezie, I've made complete baby out fits for both of my kids, all three of my grandchildren, and tons of my nieces and nephews (I have at least 18 nieces and nephews and Probably about 60-70 grand nieces and nephews [One grandnephew was born just last week; no outfit for him though])
Posted By: Triss Re: Thorn Makes a Blanket - August 14th, 2006 at 06:17 AM
Thorny, I would like that pattern as well once you get the scanner up and going.
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Thorn Makes a Blanket - August 15th, 2006 at 02:18 PM
[Linked Image] that is just Fantastic Thornius!!
Posted By: ShirlS Re: Thorn Makes a Blanket - August 15th, 2006 at 02:34 PM
Beautiful!! gab
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Thorn Makes a Blanket - August 16th, 2006 at 12:46 AM
what a beautiful blanket!!!
Posted By: weakley63 Re: Thorn Makes a Blanket - August 16th, 2006 at 06:57 AM
Absolutely beautiful!!! You're very talented.
Posted By: Thornius Re: Thorn Makes a Blanket - August 17th, 2006 at 01:29 PM
Hey, Folks I've got my scanner working' but have misplaced the pamphlet with the instructions now, but here is a link showing the pamphlet That I used. It has four patterns in it. The blanket I made is called, "Circle of Love". I bought this pamphlet at Walmart for about $1.00 in the arts and crafts section.

Thorn\'s Blanket Instructions

I had to buy one more skein of each color than it called for in the instructions. I used Bernat Baby Coordinates yarn; three skeins White, and two skeins Baby Pink. This yarn has a pearlescent shine to it and is incredibly soft. It is the first time I've used it but I think I will use it for ALL my baby projects from now on. And for all my Canadian friends, it is a product of Canada.
Posted By: ShirlS Re: Thorn Makes a Blanket - August 19th, 2006 at 11:47 AM
You are a sweetie Thorny! Thanks for the link thumbup
Posted By: G~mom Re: Thorn Makes a Blanket - August 20th, 2006 at 12:03 AM
Beautiful work,Thorny clp

It is a wonderful heirloom for your granddaughter!
Posted By: corabell Re: Thorn Makes a Blanket - August 21st, 2006 at 12:57 PM
Beautiful. One very lucky baby will be wrapped in your love.
Posted By: Thornius Re: Thorn Makes a Blanket - August 22nd, 2006 at 04:46 PM
My wife snapped this pic of me crocheting the Sacque for our granddaughter tonight.

Thorn The Hooker
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Triss Re: Thorn Makes a Blanket - August 22nd, 2006 at 04:51 PM
That needs to go in her baby book alongside the pic of her wearing her sacque.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Thorn Makes a Blanket - August 23rd, 2006 at 05:52 AM
I agree..that picture is a keep sake thumbup thumbup flw
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Thorn Makes a Blanket - January 7th, 2007 at 10:54 PM
thumbup
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Thorn Makes a Blanket - January 8th, 2007 at 12:08 AM
Lovely blanket, bird man!
That's two big things we share in common. Let's hope I don't need a tummy tuck!

I prefer to work whole pieces. I don't like the to deal with starting, stopping, and loose ends.

I buy most of my yarn on sale online at Herschners.com. I love pattern books. My favorite is the year of Afghans books by Leisure arts. I buy them at Michael's with 40% off coupons. They are like coffee table books. I leave them out and people gaze and pick favorites (very special people have been surprised with their favorites.)

I have a very favorite afghan pattern. It has an amazing textured look and the back is actually the front! I have never photographed any crochet pieces.

I like to shop for patterns the same way some girls like to shop for shoes.

I also like to make custom fitted tank tops for my girlfriends.

Lately, though, I have not made a thing smile . It is mostly my winter hobby (especially when making large hot afghans.) and so far there has been no winter.

But, American Idol is coming and I make an Idol blanket every year.
Posted By: Triss Re: Thorn Makes a Blanket - January 8th, 2007 at 05:17 AM
laugh Jane! Would love to see some of your work.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]