A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Kratz7 I took over a part of our basement for...... - January 29th, 2007 at 09:58 PM
growing flowers in what I'm now calling my gardening corner. It was my husband's old tool- bench. He built himself a new [Linked Image] toolbench 14 months ago and abandoned his old one.

So I cleaned it up and painted the area I was undecided what to use it for....
AhhhhhhAAAAA 6 months later I took it over as my Winter gardening spot to keep all of my seed swaps and information books and plant start til Spring.....
I have all of my important forum stuff down there already.....
[Linked Image]
Of course I will be adding things to it as soon as hubby puts up some shelves up top....I'd like to put all of my gardening books in plastic and keep them up on a shelf for when I need them. Which will be very soon...I would like to try quite a few seeds from the Fall Fling seed swap

Anyone else ready for Spring ??.....lol
Posted By: Anonymous Re: I took over a part of our basement for...... - January 29th, 2007 at 11:14 PM
looks like you're all set!!!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: I took over a part of our basement for...... - January 29th, 2007 at 11:55 PM
That's a spiffy lookin' Gardening Bench and Work area you've got there for yourself..
I love it!!!! cool thumbup grinnnn

Originally posted by Kratz7:
Anyone else ready for Spring ??.....lol
As for that question, I am still not ready for the 1997 Spring season... hehehe... let alone the 2007 one... but I keep pluggin' along... wink
Posted By: Kratz7 Re: I took over a part of our basement for...... - January 30th, 2007 at 10:08 AM
I even went and bought grow lights for the greenhouse , so all my seedlings will have a great start....... [Linked Image]

Here's a photo of hubby's new workbench....it's perty

[Linked Image] now if I could just get him to put shelves up on my workbench....I'll be good to go....come on Spring.....lol

[Linked Image]

I even have soil and better yet seed starter ready to go.........
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: I took over a part of our basement for...... - January 30th, 2007 at 01:33 PM
Charlotte Looks Great!! I need to set up my seeds and grow lights!! clp

Hope I said the right name shocked laugh laugh
Posted By: Anonymous Re: I took over a part of our basement for...... - January 30th, 2007 at 02:20 PM
Amazing set up! May I ask are all those flowers going to be for your garden? And how will you water them?

I have never imagined anything like that! I could see my daughter doing it.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: I took over a part of our basement for...... - January 30th, 2007 at 02:51 PM
What a great start you have.....cant wait to see what it all looks like in a few weeks!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: I took over a part of our basement for...... - January 30th, 2007 at 04:35 PM
Wow, I love that set up! thumbup clp
Posted By: Triss Re: I took over a part of our basement for...... - January 30th, 2007 at 09:57 PM
Awesome set up!! Boy I wish I had that kind of space for starting things.

I do need to clean off the shelf in the laundry room so I can get some things started here.
Posted By: Kratz7 Re: I took over a part of our basement for...... - January 30th, 2007 at 11:12 PM
Thank You All,

I try to keep things organized around here, but it is just the two of us ...so how messy can it get? lol....pretty messy when your the pile building type.....Then I get too many piles and have to go through them all.....I have been trying to minimize over the years. We have somewhat outgrown our "Starter House" but we really don't have a solid reason to move yet.... Duh lol
Too much junk we just give away....... laugh

I have sooo many seeds I want to start this Spring..... flw I went out and bought a flower encyclopedia, (at Ollie's)I went through all of my seed swaps and highlighted in the book all the info I'll need for starting the seeds. I originally searched google for the info.....but then had the encyclopedia idea when I was out shopping and found the book(600 colored/photo pages)for 5.99 quite a bargain......

I guess you can say "I'm Into this full speed" ....I can't wait to see all the little tiny seedlngs. I will have to recruit hubby into helping me this year....lol

I left hubby space for his remote controlled airplanes....( by his new workbench of course)lol [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I plan on using the flourescent light when seedlings grow larger......

Could I use large dixie cups(plastic) for the larger seedlings?

When are you planning on starting your seeds?
Posted By: dodge Re: I took over a part of our basement for...... - January 30th, 2007 at 11:46 PM
kratz,

Is the garage heated also?

Sounds good to me.

clp
Posted By: Triss Re: I took over a part of our basement for...... - January 31st, 2007 at 01:17 AM
No plans on starting seeds yet, I keep thinking about it and talking about it but that is as far as I have made it.
Posted By: Kratz7 Re: I took over a part of our basement for...... - January 31st, 2007 at 02:00 AM
I have the set up in the basement.

I will start the seeds in seedstarter and place the trays underneath the waterbed to germinate and then bring the seedlings down to the greenhouse for the rest of Spring...... [Linked Image] then I will eventually plant most of the flowers in my gardens this Spring......and share some with family and friends. I can't wait to try all of my new flowers......seeds

Kratz7

How many types of flowers are you going to plant?
Posted By: Triss Re: I took over a part of our basement for...... - January 31st, 2007 at 02:08 AM
Way too many to count. For the most part I rake up the soil and deposit the seeds in groupings and then rake over. Let nature do the rest. I will start a few things that I want to make sure I get in the garden like peppers and some zinnias, a few others that I am sure will catch my eye as I start really going through the seeds.
Posted By: Kratz7 Re: I took over a part of our basement for...... - January 31st, 2007 at 02:20 AM
I have a tough time not pulling out the plants as weeds, so this tear I figure I'll try and do better with marking things when I plant.....

Always good intentions.......
I would like to plant at least 2 of each kind and then save seed to plant around the "seedling"that way I'll have the best of both worlds......
Do you plant all of your seeds outside directly in the ground??
Posted By: Triss Re: I took over a part of our basement for...... - January 31st, 2007 at 02:28 AM
Mostly. I grew quite a few weeds last year but do not think I pulled much that was a real plant. I just kinda let the weeds go until I figured out what they were.

Most of my stuff I do put directly in the groud, I am much more of a haphazzard gardener.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]