A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Anonymous Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 7th, 2007 at 10:14 PM
Hi fellow crocheters
If anyone needs help with crochet or wants a pattern tested (no big stuff) I will be happy to help.

I have been crocheting for years. I have always enjoyed the challenge of a difficult pattern, so over the years I've gotten good at it. I've made all sorts of things. But, I don't make much clothing - everyone prefers store bought. (It also might be a hold over of being forced to wear so many crocheted capes and jumpers as a kid - by 10 I dreaded the Christmas colored versions!)

I am left handed, but I live in a right handed world. (I actually knit right handed) But, we lefties need to know special tricks - so lefties, here I am.

Hey, did I see that Thorny crochets????
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 7th, 2007 at 10:26 PM
He sure does and he does excellent work!! thumbup

I never use patterns I don't get them at all!! Tooo much to think of I am such a non-conformist!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 7th, 2007 at 10:41 PM
That is so cool - Thorny Crochets!
I can't wait to hear about his projects.
I try to convince my hubby to try it. He has amazing fine motor skills. He ties the tiniest flies. My only concern is that he would out shine too qickly.

Rita, what do you make? I make things from scratch - but my skills have come from patterns. I do patterns and learn from the master's, then combine, create, change or follow along. At this point, I tweek most patterns. And I'll rip something out in a second.
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 7th, 2007 at 10:51 PM
Doily's and blankets.. I stink at using different stitches!! frown shocked

Lemme see if I can find that post OK!!
Posted By: Ms Sarah Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 14th, 2007 at 04:15 PM
My grandma crochet's left-handed so it's hard for her to teach me. I am still learning to turn the stitch, it's hard learning remotely. That is a resolution I have for the year: to learn to crochet!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 14th, 2007 at 10:10 PM
Hi Sarah, wavey
Crochet is like anything else you have to practise. Choose a tv show that you watch that is low maintenance - like deal or no deal, and make that your turning practise time.

Knit and chrochet are both about one thing - Yarn Tension You get good when you learn to control the yarn tension while still allowing the yarn pass freely as you work.

It is hard to learn anything with just a base chain. And chaining is one of the last skills I built speed with.

When I am trying to help someone learn I give them a swatch about 20 accross and few inches long. It is much easier to learn on a piece you can hold readily. I recommend a decent sized hook too (H or I).

Also, Sarah if your grandma is close by the trick is to watch her crochet in a mirror. It will be right handed for you that way. That's how I learened from my mom, who was right handed.

Sarah, Keep with it. clp It's a fun skill to have.
Posted By: Triss Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 15th, 2007 at 05:50 AM
Hey there Jane, nice to have another yarn enthusiast here on the boards. I crochet, have not picked up knitting yet. Working on my 2nd blanket for a friend here at the Forum and do baby blankets when they are needed for friends.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 15th, 2007 at 06:43 AM
Hi triss,
I do love to crochet. I knit too, but not as much. A mistake in knit is so much more fatal. You have to keep track of all those individual stitches. I am a frogger... rippit rippit

I would really like making those little knt pieces that lynn made with the heart and dragonfly. That looks fun and my married daughter loves cotton knit washclothes. I love pattern.
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 15th, 2007 at 06:54 AM
Jane - I can give you the links to the dishcloths, but the ones I have are all for knitting - let me know...
Posted By: Triss Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 15th, 2007 at 10:51 AM
I want to learn to knit as well just for those. They are so cute!
Posted By: Wrennie Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 16th, 2007 at 06:51 AM
I knit and crochet too.
My PB has some pictures under crafts.
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 16th, 2007 at 08:31 AM
Triss - I'm still up for teaching knitting at summer camp - if anyone is still interested in learning then.

There are soooooooooooooooooooooo many patterns for those dishcloths for free online!
Posted By: Triss Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 16th, 2007 at 09:40 AM
Oh yes, I will be bringing along yarn and knitting needles to learn over the summer. Looking very forward to it then!
Posted By: patunia Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 16th, 2007 at 11:24 AM
yes! help! I need advice!
my amiga in Mexico makes these adorable little animals, and i forgot to ask her what kind of yarn she uses, so i can bring her some new colors when i go down there next time. any of you make those little animals? they are stuffed real firm after finishing.
thanks!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 16th, 2007 at 08:08 PM
Hey Patunia,
I got peeps in Central Oklahoma... Go Sooners. OU is one of my favorite campuses. Hubby's family is down Seminole way and his sister works in the "city."

About the yarn, Wrennie and plants n' pots make lots of cool small stuff. I avoid it. I am usually in the market to for cotton yarns. I am going to guess they just use Walmart Red Heart yarn. the cheaper the better. There are other yarns that come in smaller skeins that are more like jute, but I think cost wise they are going to say they use red heart.

We'll have to wait and hear...

Wrennnie and Pots grinnnn What kind of yarn to you use to make those adorable tedious little animals and stuff?????
Posted By: Wrennie Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 16th, 2007 at 08:15 PM
My little mice "critters" are regular acrylic worsted weight yarn.
But
I was thinking next time I make them to try sugar-n-cream or some other 100% cotton yarn, better for kitties not to get fuzz in their throats Duh
Lynne showed me a pattern for a bunny that uses a fuzzy yarn, thay would be an acrylic. So it depends on the pattern or what its being used for or what kind of texture she wants on the finished piece.
Patunia ask your friend.
Posted By: Wrennie Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 16th, 2007 at 08:16 PM
PS There will also be crochet lessons for anyone who wants at summer camp.
Gonetothebirds are you coming to camp??
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 16th, 2007 at 08:51 PM
Hey Wrennie,
I don't think I'll be at camp, but thanks kindly for asking.
I think your raffle idea is good. I might be nice if some of the money went to a charity. You may even be able to find a Katrina gardening effort to donate to. They are getting ready to find out will things re-grow down there.
Posted By: Triss Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 17th, 2007 at 01:30 AM
I love the WM Red heart yarns. They work so well for the afghans that I do. I ran out of yarn again for Vanessa's project, about 15 rows from the end. So I started on a new project for Dan since I am not going out and driving in the snow for yarn. It will be a double thread lap blanket. The width is 3 1/2 feet, length unknown. The colors are coffee, ranch red, carrot and cafe. The coffee color will run throughout and I will be doing blocks of the other colors. It is looking good so far, 6 rows into the project.
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 17th, 2007 at 03:11 AM
Jane - I have been using Red Heart for some of my projects, but I have also found some of it to be very scratchy. It's interesting how some colors are much more so than others. I've also been using some of the other brands, such as Bernat and Caron, and use Patons merino wool for my felted projects.

It is not always "the cheaper the better" by the way.
There are times when I will only buy yarn with my 40% off coupon at those stores, so as to be able to get the "nicer" yarns.

The one time I've used the Sugar 'n Cream cotton "yarn" it felt like I was crocheting with string - very hard on the fingers and hand - no give to it whatsoever - thank goodness it was a small project. I will be using it again to make another cap for our great niece, and hope it isn't as hard on my hands this time.

adorable tedious little animals and stuff?????
Not sure I would classify those projects as "tedious"?
I have fun making things that are "different" - one can only make so many scarves and blankets before that gets boring as all get-out! Duh :rolleyes: And I've learned so many important stitches and styles while doing those animals.

I know you meant no harm - I just disagree. wink
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 17th, 2007 at 03:40 AM
Plants... I am so sorry. Tedious is the wrong word. You have my sincere admiration. I don't like to make little things. I get it from my mom. She sewed her out, but hated to make clothes for Barbie dolls.
Tiny things are harder. Tricky little boogers with funky little stitch changes. Intricate and tiny and dark yarn colors are always harder. A black mouse would be the worst.

It would make me pull my hair to make some of the amazing cool things you make!!

Do any of you buy yarn on sale at
Herschners.com ?? They have the best sales.

It is best to get on their email list. I got tons of sugar babies baby cotton yarn for 1.19 a skein. I got carried away and I have too much of it, but... Plants I love to work in natural fiber -- cotton. Red heart is itchy to me and gives me calluses. I do like simply soft yarn -- but it can be too stretchy.

I have tons of yarn to donate. It's cool to meet crafters. I finally had to take bags of it to the Mission store, but I have lots more yarn in the attic. I inherit the yarn. But, Aunt Lu just passed and she was the last crafter above me. God Bless Aunt Lu!

The kids get home from school soon... I better get rockin'
Lynne, sorry for my poor word choice... oops
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 17th, 2007 at 04:04 AM
No problems at all here, Jane. kissies
I know you were just voicing your opinion, as did I about the cotton yarn.

As for the price on sale at Hershners - the regular price at ACMoore for a skein of Sugar 'n Cream is $1.49, but with a 40% off coupon I can get it for 89 cents, and that's without paying for shipping. Granted, you can only get one ball a day with the coupon, but if I really need more, I can go back in another time. So far, I am only making small items that only require one ball. I do agree that if you need a large quantity that is a great deal!

I'd still love to see some of your handi-work when you get a chance, Jane!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 17th, 2007 at 06:00 AM
Lynne,
Hershcners has out of site clearance sales. Their sales can drive what I make. That would be even more true if I were selling things.

Remember I like to make big things - that's many skeins of yarn.

Did you know that Big Lots (do you have a big lots) gets in tons of yarns now. They get all that stringy, frilly stuff that was $5 and up two years ago for a $1.00 each?

I can't find things to take pictures of. I burned the stove up on November16, last year just before thanksgiving. The resulting mayhem caused a lot of things to be shifted around. I took my finished work, along with all my yarn bins to the attic... I may never see it again...

I did find my bin of unfinished projects... I think I will jump in it and finish something!

Tomorrow when the sun it out.. I'll photograph something! (my unfinished sampler is 4' square and has been screaming at me for years)
Posted By: Triss Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 17th, 2007 at 06:13 AM
Looking very forward to seeing that one Jane and anything else you can find!
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 17th, 2007 at 06:57 AM
I, too, can't wait to see it Jane!

How I wish we had Big Lots here, but we do not.
As a matter of fact, many of the dollar stores have closed up recently too - I guess people like to spend their money around here?!?
Posted By: patunia Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 17th, 2007 at 12:25 PM
thanks for your reply about the animals yarn. i would ask my friend but then it would not be the surprise for her when i bring her fun new yarn for her only hobby. now i have a clue and about 3 months to pick out several before we head back down to mexico. smile and maybe i can get some "eyes and noses" at the craft store. can't bring her patterns, she doesn't read or speak english.
Posted By: Thornius Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 17th, 2007 at 02:21 PM
Jane, Thorny Crochets,knits, braids, weaves, beads, cross stitches, AND flintknaps and has for over 30 years. I even have had some of my crochet bought by people in France and worn in Paris.

Here Ya' go! This is me making a sweater for my newborn granddaughter, Chloe back in August.

Thorn the Hooker
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 17th, 2007 at 07:32 PM
Thorny,
All the ladies have been telling me about you! I've been waiting to crochet chat with the Bird Man.

If you look, two weekends ago when you were MIA, one the garden chicks brought a thread up. It was from August and you had just made that beautiful baby blanket.

I made the joke that we have too much in common -- the love of birds and crochet... I hope I need a tummy tuck next!!
Posted By: dodge Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 28th, 2007 at 02:44 AM
Hey anyone,

I just messed with making color hearts on a white background......I hated droppin the color thread and picking up white...

Am really confused how to do it properly.
There were so many strings from me cutting the threads off that can't be worked in.

My question , how and what is the easiest method.

d sca
Posted By: Triss Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 28th, 2007 at 02:53 AM
I have just left the string hanging on the skein and not cut it and picked it back up when I can back on the next row. Not sure on how to give you directions for that.

Right now I am working on a lap blanket that is black on either side with colors in between and I am using 2 skeins of black, one for each side and picking up the look when I come back around.
Posted By: dodge Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 28th, 2007 at 01:29 PM
I will have to show you the photo of why it sounds terrible.

See the pickup areas are not straight
They are 1,2,3,4, spaces in one both sides.

Heart shape . I try to do why your saying pick them up, hide them....I am not good at hiding ..ha ha also when you join the 2 colors.
What proceedure do us. Pull it thru when you have 2 loops on ( single crochet)?????????
dodge
Posted By: dodge Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 28th, 2007 at 01:53 PM
[Linked Image]
Here is a photo .

You beging with the tiny white area at the bottom of the heart.
4 stitches and change to blue,
back on blue change to white 3 stitches,
2 stitches
1 stitch.. that is the easier part.

hard part is the top of the heart.. it is a graph like you use for plastic canvas.

eek

dodge
Posted By: Triss Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 28th, 2007 at 06:07 PM
I think that the keeping one line of both white and blue would still work there, is there one white stitch at the end of the heart as well on the left side?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 28th, 2007 at 06:13 PM
Dodge,
This cracks me up. laugh laugh I have always been intimidated by trying patterns that change colors back and forth. It was the one of the questions I'd ask - - not one I can answer.

But, I really want to figure it out too. the graph part I might get comfortable with quickly. I love to do filet. It's the switiching yarn part thats get me.

Isn't it Lynne who knits those amazing cat beds? Those bottoms are all one piece I think - she sure knows how to change yarn colors (knitting for sure)

I am going to give it a try! I should be able to find a pattern around here to give a try with.

Today is hectic. This evening I'll settle and play a bit.

So, dodge, here's to us - May we be changing colors with the best of them very soon.
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 28th, 2007 at 06:19 PM
Jane - you give me far too much credit!!!
I just wing changing colors - tie a good old knot, and hide it the best I can!!! The thing about the cat beds is, that they are felted, so you really don't see the knots after that anyway.

I asked the woman yesterday at ACMoore to show me how to change colors without knotting, but she was in a "mood", and never did.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 28th, 2007 at 06:56 PM
Lynne,
Are they all one piece- in the beginning you are changing colors every stitch or so???
Posted By: dodge Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 28th, 2007 at 07:41 PM
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
wwwwrrrr
wwwrrrrrrwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
wwrrrrrrrrwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
wrrrrrrrrrwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
rrrrrrrrrrrwwwwwwwwwwwwww
rrrrrrrrrrrrrwwwwwwwwwwww
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrwwwwwwwwww

white is white
r is red
Now you start at the far bottom.this is top.
this is the beginner row
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrwwww
the heart is turned to create the look
bottom is teh flat side of the v .

Whoa It is a square when done.
What does one piece mean?????????????

Duh Duh Duh
Posted By: dodge Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 28th, 2007 at 07:56 PM
HERE IS THE TRUE GRAPH OF IT ROW 24 ON DOWN..TOP

WWWWRRRRWWWWWWWWWWWWW
WWWRRRRRRWWWWWWWWWWWW
WWRRRRRRRRWWWWWWWWWWW
WRRRRRRRRRRWWWWWWWWWW
RRRRRRRRRRRRWWWWWWWWW
RRRRRRRRRRRRWWWWWWWWW
RRRRRRRRRRRRWWWWWWWWW
RRRRRRRRRRRRWWWWWWWWW
RRRRRRRRRRRRWWWWWWWWW
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRWWWWW
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRWWW
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRWW
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRW
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRW
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRWW
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRWWW
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRWWWW

OK YOU START AT THIS BOTTOM.
ROW 1 W CH 21
SC IN 2ND CHAIN from hook
sc in eaco of next 3 chains, change to heart color drop white to o(ws) what is that
20sc

Now lets see how yours comes out..
This is the exact pattern ..graph

Thanks.............pray for me!!

b
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 28th, 2007 at 08:00 PM
WOAH dodge - I cannot even look at that today - makes me cross-eyed!!!

Jane - the cat beds I prefer to make are the ones that look like pinwheels in the bottom - they are knit in "pie" pieces - triangular pieces if you will, so you need to attach a new color with each "pie piece". It's really so much easier to do, than explain! When I first saw the pattern, I said "NO WAY!", but as I did it, it really was EASY AS PIE!!! laugh Duh nutz
Posted By: dodge Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 28th, 2007 at 08:11 PM
plants and pots it is all in single crochet.

i hate joining colors , i hate, i hate.

now do it .

SOme one please!! any color with white it is to be a use for scrap yarn..COme on try.

b
Posted By: Triss Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 28th, 2007 at 08:38 PM
I am gonna work on it but WOAH on reading it out with the letters. Could you PM me starting from the bottom of the heart, the number of red's in each row?

Will try working it and take pics so you can see how I keep the heart as one strand of yarn and the background as one strand of yarn also.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 28th, 2007 at 11:27 PM
dodge,
ws is wrong side - the back of the piece....
was the "o(ws)" a typo?

Hey Hey, I'm guessing this might be your hiccup dodge!!

You should always be changing colors to the back of the piece.
(I'm left handed,so when I lay a piece flat on a table the starting yarn straggle is the bottom right - so the back of my piece is when I am working and my starting yarn straggle is to the left -- I think this may be reversed for you right handed people , but I am not sure)

I can't follow your recipe too well. I am going to stare at it a little more and see if I can track it.
Posted By: dodge Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 28th, 2007 at 11:39 PM
NOT HARD.

23 single crochet across
turn singlecrochet in 2nd chain from the hook
and singlecrochet in next 3 stitches

change to color and drop whit to wrong side..

WS looked like this.

b
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 28th, 2007 at 11:47 PM
That's part of it dodge that means no matter which way you are headed you will always drop the yarn to the same side... the back side
Posted By: dodge Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 29th, 2007 at 12:13 AM
now what is you pick up method?
how did you pick it up/
While there is 2 hoops on the needle?

b
Posted By: Triss Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 29th, 2007 at 12:20 AM
OK ladies, let me tell you first, I am not a very good teacher, do not know the right words. shocked I have no idea if you are gonna get how I do this or not, but here goes.

This is what I ended up with. It is taller than Barb's but I think it is my stitch. If I do them again I will add a few stitches of cream on the other side to make it more square.
[Linked Image]

My first color change. The lower purple strand I stitch right into the work, no knots at all. And the cream is leading back to the skein and waiting for me to pick it up on the way back.
[Linked Image]

And showing the purple being tucked into the work
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Triss Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 29th, 2007 at 12:21 AM
My second color change on the way back to pick up the cream again. I just pulled it up through the loop at the arrow, again no cutting or starting a new strand.
[Linked Image]

The loop once it is attached and you can see the purple hanging out waiting for me to come back and get it o the next row.
[Linked Image]

Here is how I took care of getting the cream above the purple that went from end to end. I tightend the loose yarn that the arrow is pointing to and then when I stitches the edging around the whole thing, I stitched it right into the work.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Triss Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 29th, 2007 at 12:22 AM
I did have to start a new strand of yarn to get the top corner of cream into the project. I did the same thing with this and left the ends to be stitched into the work when I went around the edge.
[Linked Image]

And the whole thing before the edge was put on. My two strands on the bottom right are where I began and the top ones are all the ends.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 29th, 2007 at 12:27 AM
dodge,
Brrrr! I have to go to the store to get bread for lunches... oh, bother!

I started the heart square. I don't like changing colors a bit.

WS is wrong side and it is the trick always drop yarn on the same side (back)

To change colors in a single crochet -- change colors for the final yarn over to draw through the two loops.

I am in the middle of the seven all red rows. I get that I can cut off white to start again later- because I'm not dragging it up 7 rows.

Well I am off to the grocery store... yucko...
I'll try more later - but I'm not liking it so much.

Well off to the grocery store for me... yucko.
Posted By: dodge Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 29th, 2007 at 12:52 AM
Triss

Your swell.......
Thanks for all of this ..I am printing them.

Now what I see is a different method of single crochet.......
First when I make a chain.
Then go to the 3nd row......singl crochet in each of the stitches.....(I do this differently than you do)
I think you go under the single crochet.......
I go into the center of the crochet,
I get a different effect.....

Know what i mean/

b
Posted By: Triss Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 29th, 2007 at 01:14 AM
Yes, I just grab the first loop of the previous row to give it a different effect rather than through both loops. It gives it a bit of a raised edge and I can keep good count of my stitches on a new project like this one. It was a lot of fun doing this, out of my comfort zone for sure but good!
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 29th, 2007 at 01:19 AM
WOW Triss - I am sooooo impressed!
Very well done, and not something I'm going to attempt anytime soon!!! perpl
Posted By: dodge Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 29th, 2007 at 01:22 AM
There are different ways to do it.....
Your choice.
I was just saying ,, it is probably the reason yours is so long.

Also when you come to the end of the rows your don't add a single croche to turn?

Your fast and great no matter how you do it.
Unlike me ....I printed all the photos to put them with my pattern book and will try again and see .......

I never crocheted on line before.....Thanks to good folks like you and gardenhelper and cameras and any thing i missed...ha ha

thanks Triss
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 29th, 2007 at 01:49 AM
Wow.. Triss great job. I mostly followed your explanations very well. I don't want to do it!

There is an alphabet block afghan I saw that looked like very cool. primary color letters in white squares and outlined in the color. LIke the children's blocks of old. I was thinking about trying it. I think I won't.

Also, I don't have a clue how to write and draw on pictures. I have so much to learn.
Posted By: Triss Re: Crochet intstructions troubling you? - I can help - January 29th, 2007 at 02:15 AM
Barb, I stitched in the last one in each row and then chained 2 for the first stitch of the next row.

Jane, I do not think I would do an alphabet block. I would probably go NUTS!! This was not as easy and "do without thinking" as the stuff I normally do so it took more time. My daughter loved it though so I may tweak it a bit and make her a baby doll blanket with a BIG heart in the middle. Pretty sure I have enough scraps of some colors she likes for that.

On the editing. I cropped my pics in Microsoft Photo Editor and then added the words and arrows in Microsoft Image Composer. You can do that in Paint also but for some reason that is no longer on my computer.

Here is what I have been working on this weekend, I am using the same theory to change colors in this one. It is 4 feet wide and will be a lap balnket. I am using all of my leftover bits of yarn for the colors and the tons of black I have. I am using one thread of black to go back and forth the entire length and a separate thread of black for each side, then the 4th thread for the middle color row. So I am not cutting and knotting the blacks since I leave them hanging until I get back to them. Same goes for the 2nd row of each color, I just let it sit until I come back and pick it up on the next row. So far this one is about 2 feet long.

[Linked Image]
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]