A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: plants 'n pots babies again!!! - January 27th, 2007 at 12:24 AM
Ok - I need help!

I just found 4 babies in my tank!
Amy saw them too!

I was able to catch 1 and put it in a separate tank - unheated, I hope it survives, but I can't find the others now. I hope the pictus catfish hasn't eaten them - he's swimming around like a lunatic! The male rainbow blue platy is bothering the female too - chasing her all over the tank. I don't know if these babies are from the other day - they look a little bit bigger than the first ones I saw, or if they are new ones from this couple.

I'll update if there's anything new...
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: babies again!!! - January 27th, 2007 at 12:51 AM
Got a second one in the tank - it's not heated - I need advice???
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: babies again!!! - January 27th, 2007 at 01:06 AM
I checked on line and it says to seperate the babies or mommy will eat them, but i dont know about the tank having to be heated or not though??
Posted By: badplanter Re: babies again!!! - January 27th, 2007 at 01:23 AM
Good luck with them, Lynne! Duh

kissies
--Mark--
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: babies again!!! - January 27th, 2007 at 01:42 AM
Thanks Mark - right now that small tank is on the desk here under the halogen light. I also put a broken piece of pottery in there for them to have a place to hide.

Still can't find the other babies, and the mamma is still being harassed by the other fish...
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: babies again!!! - January 27th, 2007 at 02:49 AM
Phew - just got another baby out - this one really liked to hide in the marbles. I'm pretty sure there is still one more...

I do hope they can live in this tank of water without a filter or pump... until they are big enough to go back into the bigger tank.
Posted By: Triss Re: babies again!!! - January 27th, 2007 at 03:01 AM
Oh I hope so too Lynne. Any chance of getting a very small tank just for the babies, like a 2.5 gallon kids room tank. You can keep it up and running just ofr when you have new lil ones and put it away the rest of the time? I have seen them at WM for under $20.
Posted By: Tonya Re: babies again!!! - January 27th, 2007 at 03:12 AM
The tank not having a heater is not an issue...the aerration is another story probably....I think they will be OK for a week or so and that is all you will really need to let them grow to make sure they are not eaten. If you have any silk or real plants for the tank, that will be great "cover" for them.
Posted By: Tonya Re: babies again!!! - January 27th, 2007 at 03:21 AM
The males chase her to try to find the babies....guppies do it too. Because they are live-bearers- she could have over 30 babies shk I had a guppy that had 32 once. They have so many because they "know" that some will not make it.
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: babies again!!! - January 27th, 2007 at 03:23 AM
Just took a few pictures of the babies - again, they are so much smaller than they appear in the pictures.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Triss Re: babies again!!! - January 27th, 2007 at 03:27 AM
They still look pretty small Lynne.
Posted By: Tonya Re: babies again!!! - January 27th, 2007 at 04:06 AM
Cool pics, Lynne!! I can never seem to get any of my babies....

I just remembered that my neighbor has a small pond with no aeration and no heat that she has kept guppies in for several years now- the babies should be fine if you can get some plants in there to help with oxygen exchange. thumbup
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: babies again!!! - January 27th, 2007 at 04:12 AM
Thanks Tonya!
Posted By: Tonya Re: babies again!!! - January 27th, 2007 at 05:10 AM
No problem......Let us know how it goes!
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: babies again!!! - January 27th, 2007 at 01:26 PM
ters Sad to say they were all dead this morning. ters

I will be going to PetSmart today before ACMoore, as they are in the same strip shopping center, and hopefully getting a breeders net. The mamma still looks pregnant, so hopefully I'll be able to catch her before she has the next babies.
Posted By: Tonya Re: babies again!!! - January 27th, 2007 at 02:38 PM
Sorry about the babies, Lynne! kissies
Posted By: Anonymous Re: babies again!!! - January 27th, 2007 at 02:51 PM
I'm sorry Lynne....I just saw this topic, and I'm so sad they didn't make it. ters
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: babies again!!! - January 27th, 2007 at 04:45 PM
Sorry to hear this Lynne!!
Posted By: Triss Re: babies again!!! - January 27th, 2007 at 05:45 PM
Oh darn Lynne. Sorry that you lost them. kissies
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: babies again!!! - January 28th, 2007 at 12:22 AM
Thanks all kissies

I bought a breeders net today, and put the mamma in it as soon as I got home. It's now 6 hours later, and she just passed 4 dead babies. This poor fish is having such a hard time of things - I feel so badly for her.

I think I'll keep her in the net overnight, and if there aren't any live babies tomorrow morning, I'll remove it.
Posted By: Triss Re: babies again!!! - January 28th, 2007 at 12:30 AM
Oh dear Lynne, the poor fish. I sure hope she is ok.
Posted By: hisgal2 Re: babies again!!! - February 8th, 2007 at 02:21 AM
so what ended up happening???
Posted By: Wrennie Re: babies again!!! - February 8th, 2007 at 01:14 PM
My pltys had babie and I didnt know until i saw little 'Nemo' hiding among the plants.
platy ite
livebearer info site
hope those help
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: babies again!!! - February 8th, 2007 at 03:00 PM
Thanks for the links, Wrennie! kissies

Nothing has happened since I last wrote.
The poor mamma has been very pregnant since, and looks like she's about to explode at any given moment! I can definitely see the black areas where they say you can see the babies' eyes, but they're not coming out yet...

stay tuned...
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: babies again!!! - February 8th, 2007 at 03:10 PM
How exciting Lynne!!
Posted By: chenno Re: babies again!!! - February 8th, 2007 at 03:15 PM
waiting for the news:-)
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: babies again!!! - February 8th, 2007 at 08:00 PM
Any update...more babies???
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: babies again!!! - February 16th, 2007 at 10:10 PM
OK - so exactly HOW BIG does this mama fish need to get before she lets go of those babies??? She's soooo puffy, I feel so badly for her!

[Linked Image]

Here she is with 2 of the 3 other fish in the tank - the male rainbow blue platy, and a dalmation fish.

[Linked Image]

Close-up of the dalmation fish - I had to have one, since I had a dalmation puppy when I was a toddler!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dixie Angel Re: babies again!!! - February 16th, 2007 at 10:28 PM
She looks like she is going to explode soon!

Dianna
Posted By: melcon6 Re: babies again!!! - February 16th, 2007 at 11:34 PM
Wow, that is so weird? frown Duh
Posted By: Patty S Re: babies again!!! - February 16th, 2007 at 11:49 PM
"PUSH -2 -3 -4 -5...."

(Thought it was worth a try) Duh
Posted By: melcon6 Re: babies again!!! - February 16th, 2007 at 11:58 PM
HOO * HOO * HEEEEEEEE, HOO * HOO * HEEEEEEEE

lala lala lala
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: babies again!!! - February 17th, 2007 at 01:16 AM
Ok you 2 - get a grip!!! laugh p
Posted By: Anonymous Re: babies again!!! - February 17th, 2007 at 01:33 AM
laugh So she has live babies instead of laying eggs?

Cool...not many fish are live bearers......my mosquito fish are and I think it's so cool!
Posted By: Triss Re: babies again!!! - February 17th, 2007 at 02:27 AM
Woah, she is way preggers. Hope she has those lil fishies soon. Are you all ready for them?
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: babies again!!! - February 17th, 2007 at 02:39 AM
Yep - live babies loz!
She's had 2 small batches of frys so far, but none survived. Then, after I got the breeders net, she had 4 dead ones in there, and within an hour ate them all!

As soon as I see any babies next time, they will go in the breeders net without mama!
Posted By: Triss Re: babies again!!! - February 17th, 2007 at 05:41 AM
I sure hope you can save some Lynne!!!
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: babies again!!! - February 17th, 2007 at 12:56 PM
Lynne you can do several things... you can get a separate tank.. Put the mama in a "trap" so to speak with wholes large enough for the fry to escape..
You could also get some of that tallish plastic grass that goes on the bottom.. it is large enough for the fry but not larger fish.. you also need to get "fry Food" those little guys can't eat regular food!
Air is a big problem! Make sure they have it! Good luck!! thumbup
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: babies again!!! - February 17th, 2007 at 04:58 PM
Thanks Rita - the reason I got the breeders net, is that I already have a total of 5 tanks in the house, and while most of them are not huge, I really don't have any more space for another, and don't want to have to buy another heater, filter, etc. I'm just hoping to be able to catch the babies as she has them, and separate them into the breeders net in the same tank. It's just sad to see her so enormous for so long.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: babies again!!! - February 18th, 2007 at 02:26 AM
I soooo hope some of them make it Lynne! I'm gonna keep checking up on here to see what happens. thumbup
Posted By: buzylady Re: babies again!!! - February 23rd, 2007 at 06:34 PM
I had swordtail babies once. Scooped them up and was putting them in another container. Set them on top of the aquarium for a sec, and what did I do? Knocked them off to the brown rug below. All I could do was wait for the spot to dry and vaccum them up. Oh well. They are pretty fertile. Guppies, swordtails, platys, they're almost like bunnies.
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: babies again!!! - February 25th, 2007 at 07:14 PM
soooooooooo, the rainbow platy is STILL pregnant - weird!

But now I'm wondering if this dalmation molly is pregnant also?
It was hard to get a good picture - sorry...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: babies again!!! - February 25th, 2007 at 11:59 PM
Wow, could be a mom all over again! And I can't believe your other fish is still holding all those babies in! Let 'em out, just let 'em out! laugh
Posted By: Patty S Re: babies again!!! - February 26th, 2007 at 12:21 AM
Lynne, what kind of fish do you have in those other tanks? Aren't they compatible, so you can put them together... freeing up a tank for "babies only"? Duh
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: babies again!!! - February 26th, 2007 at 12:39 AM
Patty - I have the one ten gallon in here, and Amy's ten gallon is full to capacity.

The 39 gallon is also full - that big Goldie of Margaret's is so humungous!!!

The 2 smaller tanks each have 3 medium sized goldfish in them - can't combine them either...

Don't need yet another tank either... :rolleyes:
Posted By: Anonymous Re: babies again!!! - February 26th, 2007 at 02:07 AM
It doesn't sound like you need another tank Lynne! laugh Just think when your big pond is done you can put some goldfish in there right? grinnnn
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: babies again!!! - February 26th, 2007 at 03:52 AM
Yep!!! They are all going out there once it's up and running well!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: babies again!!! - February 26th, 2007 at 05:13 AM
Mine too, and I won't miss them too bad! laugh I mean I will, but not the constant cleaning.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]