A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Scratchy Kitty Help!!!!! - March 8th, 2007 at 02:57 AM
My little sassy cat got fleas... Got rid of them.. then she started scratching again... to the point we thought she had them again.. another tubby later still scratching..I think the flea soap dried her skin..

Is there anyone that knows what to use for this?
She has scabs on her back from scratching the dry skin ters
Posted By: patches1414 Re: Scratchy Kitty Help!!!!! - March 8th, 2007 at 05:01 AM
Actually, I've been using Advantage Flea Control for years and it works wonders! clp Since it stops the life cycle of the fleas I've never had a problem with fleas. frown
Posted By: faerywatcher Re: Scratchy Kitty Help!!!!! - March 8th, 2007 at 11:55 AM
i use frontline and advantage both. its good to swap from one to the other every couple of months. if you use one of these regularly, you will never have another problem.

she could also have a flea allergy. there are some that even 1 flea drives their skin bonkers! predisone usually works will for that, but that will require a visit to the dreaded vet. eek
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Scratchy Kitty Help!!!!! - March 8th, 2007 at 01:00 PM
It is no longer a problem with Fleas... But Dry skin she wont stop scratching :rolleyes: Is there any treatment for Dry Skin that you know of without a trip to the Vet?
Posted By: Tonya Re: Scratchy Kitty Help!!!!! - March 8th, 2007 at 01:35 PM
Rita- I have successfully used Avon's Skin so soft bath oil to stop dry itchy skin on my dogs before. Maybe try that?
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Scratchy Kitty Help!!!!! - March 8th, 2007 at 03:27 PM
Hmm I will try and get some.. OHHHH Loz... LOL Avon books are a pain to get around here!
Posted By: MLN Re: Scratchy Kitty Help!!!!! - March 8th, 2007 at 03:40 PM
I used to have a cat that was allergic to fleas and her skin would get very dry and raw from it. I whipped up an egg with just a tad of milk and gave it to her twice a week. It helped keep her skin and hair in much better condition.
Posted By: Tonya Re: Scratchy Kitty Help!!!!! - March 8th, 2007 at 04:25 PM
The egg will work, also...I didn't think of that this morning- not enough coffee before posting! laugh laugh
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Scratchy Kitty Help!!!!! - March 8th, 2007 at 04:30 PM
What about Mayo, or Olive Oil??
Both are edible and good for skin and hair!!!! thumbup
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Scratchy Kitty Help!!!!! - March 8th, 2007 at 06:46 PM
if she is allergic to the flea bites, even if they're gone, the residual affects of the allergy will be there. re: the scabs that she is constantly scratching and licking at which is causing the dry skin.

try oatmeal baths if you don't want to go to the vet and the cat will actually stay in the water for you. you'll have to do the baths every few days until the sore spots start to heal over. putting some vaseline on the spots won't hurt either...will keep the skin protected and the vaseline won't hurt the cat when it's licked at.

best and quickest thing to do is to get some prednisone from the vet - it'll get the inflamation under control much quicker.

also, as others said, using frontline or advantage drops is the best way to treat fleas...

the treatments last for a month and actually kill the fleas and the eggs.
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Scratchy Kitty Help!!!!! - March 8th, 2007 at 08:04 PM
She is an indoor cat that had the misfortune of getting out in the fall.. That was when she got the fleas..We treated her then for them..The Fleas have been gone since then late November..

The Problem is she is still scratching... Has had No Fleas since then..

I will try the egg and Milk see if it helps Thanks! thumbup
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Scratchy Kitty Help!!!!! - March 9th, 2007 at 12:52 AM
indoor animals can still get fleas. they can come in on your shoes/clothing when you're outside. and any that have made it indoors can lay eggs...the eggs can hatch at any time with the heat on in the house.

i speak from experience here.

is she's been scratching for that long, and you're sure it's not fleas, i'd get her to a vet. sounds like something is going on and she should be seen by a professional.
Posted By: April Coria Re: Scratchy Kitty Help!!!!! - March 9th, 2007 at 07:35 AM
something i have heard of is when you make bacon save the grease and mix it into her food... it will naturally add moisture to her skin and fur and its not bad for her either...i was told to do this by a friend of mine who is a pet groomer.
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Scratchy Kitty Help!!!!! - March 9th, 2007 at 08:18 AM
Thank you April thumbup wink
Posted By: April Coria Re: Scratchy Kitty Help!!!!! - March 9th, 2007 at 11:07 AM
you are quite welcome... i love anything to do with our little furry friends and if i know anything i am always willing to help....
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]