A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Cliver_McGyver Stained Glass projects - February 22nd, 2007 at 11:58 PM
I recently decided to get back in to stained glass - I use to do it for a living - church windows and tiffany lamps and all the rest that goes with the trade. The first project I did was a sun design that was drawn for me back in 1980 and I made a photo session to teach some of the construction aspects.

[Linked Image]

http://writers-voice.com/Photo/the_sun/making_of_the_sun.htm

I also made a pyramid terrarium

http://writers-voice.com/Photo/the_pyramid/pyramid.htm
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Stained Glass projects - February 23rd, 2007 at 12:04 AM
I love stained glass! And I love that sun design!
My late husband made all kinds of things with stained glass...he worked in glass for over 20 years...so I have many stained glass lamps, terrariums, etc...all over the house. I always wanted to make something, but I'm terrified of getting cut.
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Stained Glass projects - February 23rd, 2007 at 12:07 AM
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE that sun, Cliver!!!

The colors are perfect, and so bright and cheerful!

Can you show us some more of your wonderful work, please?
Posted By: Triss Re: Stained Glass projects - February 23rd, 2007 at 12:15 AM
WOW, just amazing. All of the work that goes into a project like that is mind blowing. I never realized that there were so many steps. How long did that take you?

I love the pyramid as well!
Posted By: Cliver_McGyver Re: Stained Glass projects - February 23rd, 2007 at 12:33 AM
Here is a collection of 8 church windows I made for a small country church... It is a progress window as well showing the art of lead assembly...

http://writers-voice.com/Photo/pages/StainedglassThumbnails.htm
Posted By: Cliver_McGyver Re: Stained Glass projects - February 23rd, 2007 at 12:34 AM
I love doing glass and when I am at work I cant wait to get home a tinker in the studio...

Here is one of my best...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Stained Glass projects - February 23rd, 2007 at 12:00 PM
YOu do Great work! I wish I had my space back so I could at least practice!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Stained Glass projects - February 23rd, 2007 at 01:03 PM
I would like to buy the sun for my daughter's graduation. It is perfect for all I want to say to her!
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Stained Glass projects - February 23rd, 2007 at 02:33 PM
The sun is incredible looking, you have done a great job thumbup thumbup thumbup
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Stained Glass projects - February 23rd, 2007 at 02:49 PM
Love the windows for the church,
simply beautiful...

Just outta curiousity, where do you get your supplies from???

I ran acrossed a site the other day,
I'll find it when I come acrossed it again...
Something with Delphi in it or something like that..
Posted By: plantqueen Re: Stained Glass projects - February 23rd, 2007 at 06:48 PM
Wonderful work! Everything is just beautiful! thumbup
Posted By: Cliver_McGyver Re: Stained Glass projects - February 23rd, 2007 at 08:42 PM
I made the Olga and Vladimir windows when I worked at the Rubaiyat glass studio in Calgary - I was the tech I did the firing and cutting grinding and leading - A young artist named Lori did the reverse painting with metal oxides. The process is to paint the glass black then remove what you don't want - some pieces where fired a dozen times and each firing takes the whole night to complete a cycle.

p.s. the windows are 30 x 60 inches or life size.
and the crown and cross are done with 1/8th" lead came - allowance is 1/8" divided x 2 then subtract 1/16" of an inch for the heart of the lead leaving 1/16" divided x 2 = 1/32" It is very thin lines - making it very elegant to view.
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Stained Glass projects - February 23rd, 2007 at 10:44 PM
May I ask is it just practice or is there a trick to the curves? I have the hardest time getting them to break on the right line.. Duh I have gone through sooooo much glass just trying to cut a great curve!!

Weezie I have a stained glass place 10 minutes up the road she sells me big scraps for 2bucks a pound!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Stained Glass projects - February 23rd, 2007 at 11:16 PM
Originally posted by SpringFever:
Weezie I have a stained glass place 10 minutes up the road she sells me big scraps for 2bucks a pound!
What luck!
I did find that name, and it was Delphi...
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Stained Glass projects - February 23rd, 2007 at 11:19 PM
I thought I could be wrong that delphi was a Type of glass...

Try and do a google search for Art Glass in your area.. Thats what I did.. Got very lucky!
You can also get it on ebay ... But I have never ordered any from there!
Posted By: Cliver_McGyver Re: Stained Glass projects - February 24th, 2007 at 02:03 AM
On deep curves make sure you have extra glass around the points (I am guessing) and make the cut with a smooth curve and then make another free hand that starts at the point and is 1/8th of an inch off the deepest point of the curve and repeat till a straight ling appears across the point then break the straight line out then the next deepest then the next and if you have a good pair of breaking pliers then you can chip away at the points then go deeper...

A friend just showed up and said he will help me do a photo shoot of chipping in to the deep curve
a little at a time chipping away...

be right back...

this is better explained as a progress photo op...lol... I did a deep curve on the sun
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Stained Glass projects - February 24th, 2007 at 02:04 PM
thank you so much for sharing. i love looking at stained gl***. and our church has beautiful windows.

it's one of those things i'd love to learn, but really know i don't neeed more on my plate...
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Stained Glass projects - February 24th, 2007 at 02:43 PM
Thanks Cliver!! That would be AWSOME!! clp
Posted By: Cliver_McGyver Re: Stained Glass projects - February 24th, 2007 at 10:20 PM
OK here you go - the cutting out of a deep curve in to glass. Sorry I took so long I had to go in to work today and last night turned in to a jam session but it is here and complete...

Ask any questions you wish I love to help...

P.S. I did not know the band width restrictions of this site so I placed it on my site the Voice I have 160 gig and run a text file site so I have a lot left over all the time...
http://writers-voice.com/Photo/Cutting_a_deep_curve/cutting_a_deep_curve.htm

Enjoy [Linked Image] -------------------------------------------- [Linked Image]
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Stained Glass projects - February 24th, 2007 at 11:10 PM
Hey Clive That was a great Tutorial Perfect! I was doing it soooo Back wards! muggs
Posted By: Cliver_McGyver Re: Stained Glass projects - February 24th, 2007 at 11:26 PM
very cool.........if it helps...

If you look at the sun you see a deep curve on the right hand side of the chin so draw a square around it and do the hardest first...
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Stained Glass projects - February 24th, 2007 at 11:30 PM
Very Cool ...
I am going to set up my table and give it a shot!! Hmmm think I need a new wheel Duh

I think I have a pattern that is close I will just practice on Cutting before I go nuts on something again! laugh thumbup
Posted By: Cliver_McGyver Re: Stained Glass projects - February 24th, 2007 at 11:46 PM
I like the brass barrel pencil type I find I am too strong to use the pistil - too easy to apply to much force(for me). A lot of people love the pistal grip...

Hey I published a how to cut glass page interested...
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/csmichie/cutting_glass/cutting.htm
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Stained Glass projects - February 25th, 2007 at 12:01 AM
shocked shocked shocked I think I have been pressing tooo hard!! I guess I don't know my own strenght!! thumbup
Posted By: Cliver_McGyver Re: Stained Glass projects - February 25th, 2007 at 12:37 AM
If you are using a pistil grip it will have a carbide wheel and if you press too hard - the score will have little chips pop of with a snap crackle pop and I us that with out Tonny the tiger chasing me down...lol...

hey check out the tune by Bach I posted a link to...

In the prism Cafe...
Posted By: Cliver_McGyver Re: Stained Glass projects - February 25th, 2007 at 12:38 AM
Complete with the bridges from the concerto...
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Stained Glass projects - February 25th, 2007 at 12:47 AM
That is where? Duh
Posted By: Cliver_McGyver Re: Stained Glass projects - February 25th, 2007 at 12:49 AM
I wish to introduce you to Moe Koffman one of Canada"s greatest flutists in the last 100 years. I love every single song this man played. He is a jazz player that does classical… he passed away and we will only hear him on plastic/disk……

The recording is from an album from the 1970-s that when I got it…

It has scratches and clicks but that makes you want to have some of him in your collection with out… I listen to a perfect copy but you will have to get your own…lol…

If you don"t listen to Moe once a week you may loose creativity … just kidding…

Real player needed…or save to dick --- that I wish not…

Get any album of Moe Koffman and you will have an experience whether you are a Bach Fan in Jazz or not.

It is 17 mg but will stream to you… at 128 kb/sec

http://www.writers-voice.com/music_dump/Moe%20Koffman%20-%20Bach.mp3

Unofficial pool --- what do you think would you play this in your studio...?
Posted By: Cliver_McGyver Re: Stained Glass projects - February 25th, 2007 at 12:51 AM
oh **** I am all over the net.......

Bach is above.....................
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Stained Glass projects - February 25th, 2007 at 12:53 AM
LOL it said page was missing Could not be found ... Ohhh man sorry hijacking your topic laugh
Posted By: Cliver_McGyver Re: Stained Glass projects - February 25th, 2007 at 12:57 AM
the 4 - (****) stars where a cr with an ap added to it ,,,,,,, lol I am guessing I was blocked by the new upgrade or was that another forum......
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Stained Glass projects - February 25th, 2007 at 01:01 AM
No I used to say it all the time and well just switched to crud! I don't think there is anything wrong with the other though! Duh
Posted By: Cliver_McGyver Re: Stained Glass projects - February 25th, 2007 at 01:05 AM
Try now sorry ...... got too many things going ,,,,,,,,

http://www.writers-voice.com/music_dump/Moe%20Koffman%20-%20Bach.mp3
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Stained Glass projects - February 25th, 2007 at 01:11 AM
So far sooo good! Love Bach!! thumbup Thanks! wink

All on flute!! thumbup
Posted By: Cliver_McGyver Re: Stained Glass projects - February 25th, 2007 at 01:21 AM
I do not save links I remove them and the file in a few days It is just to introduce not to prevent the artist from getting a sale - You should get the 4 seasons it will blow you away for holding attention to the tune - does that make sense... Antonio Vivaldi wrote the 4 seasons for violin not the flute so it is a real treat to have it in all of it's staccato on the flute...

very decent...for sure...
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Stained Glass projects - March 1st, 2007 at 01:24 AM
Rita,
I just got my Delphi catalog in the mail..
and ooooooohhhhhhhhhh my gosh, is there alot
of stuff in there for this very subject!!!
If only I had $$$...

If you get a chance, just for the heck of it,
go send in your address and get a copy...
*and it's FREE*

Delphi Stained Glass Catalog
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Stained Glass projects - March 4th, 2007 at 07:33 PM
Thank you Weezie!! I just filled it out!! thumbup Can't wait to get the catalog it looks interesting! clp
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Stained Glass projects - March 4th, 2007 at 08:11 PM
Well, I certainly have enjoyed at least
peaking at it and seeing all the wonderful idea's..

There is one project in there that caught my eye..
It's on page 160, and it's in the sandblasting, etching, engraving part and it's got flowers, butterflies, and a moon and spiderwebs...
So interesting..

*I also have been looking for a bottle cutter,
and there's one in there also*

But the stained glass stuff is outta this world.
Soooooo pretty and soooooooo many ideas..
There's such a variety of projects to do...
Just wish I had the $$$ and the room to do it.
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Stained Glass projects - March 4th, 2007 at 09:06 PM
I hear you there Weezie!!
The bottle Cutter is on my list as well... I also would love to have a drill for cutting holes in glass((is there such thing Clive?)) I thought it would be neat to make Candle holders for the back yard in the summer time!

PS.. My Mom is using my work space as a Bed Room eek I can't do anything till she finds a place!! shocked
Posted By: Cliver_McGyver Re: Stained Glass projects - March 7th, 2007 at 12:41 PM
Drilling holes in glass is very easy and the drill bit needed is cheap as well... Get what is called a spade bit - they are designed for drilling ceramic tile that has a surface composition similar to glass. it is important not to drill to fast because this causes heat and a lubricant is needed like water. When I drill in to glass that costs 30 to 50 dollars a for I mix a solution with turpentine and light 3 in one oil but it stinks. The main rule to drill glass is half the speed and half the feed.

bits cost 2 or 3 bucks at home depot.

Sorry for the delay I have got a rotten cold.

I started working on a poppies window in an oval with the thinest lead I could find for the challenge.

I make a Clive-A-Scope lol... with pressed flowers and have to drill hundreds of holes so I buy the 75 dollar drill bit but for drilling through ceramic plant pots and glass the spade bit will do just fine. remember glass dust is poison keep wet and wash down wet...
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Stained Glass projects - March 7th, 2007 at 12:44 PM
ooooh~ooooooooh, I hope we get to see that
poppy one... that sounds beautiful!!
Posted By: Cliver_McGyver Re: Stained Glass projects - March 19th, 2007 at 12:29 PM
I have completed the poppies window - it was a real challenge with the 1/8" lead. Hope you like it

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dixie Angel Re: Stained Glass projects - March 19th, 2007 at 12:56 PM
Wow! That is beautiful, Clive!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Stained Glass projects - March 19th, 2007 at 01:15 PM
Verrrrry pretty!!! flw flw flw
Posted By: Shirley4 Re: Stained Glass projects - March 19th, 2007 at 01:31 PM
You do very beautiful work, Cliver, and you listen to beautiful music. Have you ever listened to Zamfir? I think what he plays is called a pan flute. Very beautiful; almost haunting at times.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Stained Glass projects - March 19th, 2007 at 01:48 PM
Another beautiful piece!!!
Posted By: Triss Re: Stained Glass projects - March 19th, 2007 at 03:25 PM
How could you not like that. It is a beautiful work of art!!!
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Stained Glass projects - March 19th, 2007 at 04:15 PM
That is a pretty one Clive!! Thanks for the tip on drilling too...

I'VE GOT TO get my work station back!! :rolleyes:
Posted By: Cliver_McGyver Re: Stained Glass projects - March 19th, 2007 at 09:42 PM
wow thanks everyone I am really enjoying being back in the stained glass craft. Before I did it for a living and a few months ago a friend gave me a tiffany lamp I had sold him 25 years ago and I started to think that I did not have any of my glass...hmmmm I thought.

I made a pyramid terrarium a while back and about 20 days ago I planted it and have not needed to give it any water and one leaf is shooting roots out of the stem of the leaf an inch above the earth.

kewl...
Posted By: Cliver_McGyver Re: Stained Glass projects - March 19th, 2007 at 09:54 PM
Yes Shirley4 it is a pan flute and I have heard him but own none of his works. I have worked for more then 30 years in stained glass and for 15 of it full time in studios where I got to do all manor of projects from Frank Lloyd Write to L. c. Tiffany and from mid evil painting with metal frit to acrylics on sand blaster contemporary metro and loved it.

I am working on a design for a planter in a gazebo shape.
Posted By: Shirley4 Re: Stained Glass projects - March 19th, 2007 at 10:24 PM
Wow, Cliver, I love Frank Lloyd Wright. And, I love anything to do with mideival. I even read novels with the setting back then.
Posted By: Cliver_McGyver Re: Stained Glass projects - March 19th, 2007 at 11:15 PM
I made a tutorial for The Making of the Poppies Window.

Some tricks and tips for fine detail glass in 1/8 inch lead.

http://writers-voice.com/Photo/poppies_window_project/poppies_window.htm
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Stained Glass projects - March 20th, 2007 at 02:07 AM
thanks clive. i love reading how you make those!
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Stained Glass projects - March 20th, 2007 at 11:51 AM
On your poppy? I noticed you attached the U channel frame right to the glass.. Is that How your suppose to do it?

Also I have silver sauder for Jewelry repair.. What would you use that for in stained glass? Duh I know they sell it at my glass shop!! But have always heard that it is way to soft for projects.. nutz lala
Posted By: Cliver_McGyver Re: Stained Glass projects - March 20th, 2007 at 12:09 PM
The glass fits in to the U came about 3/16 of an inch, and the lead is soldiered to it. I use 50/50 lead tin alloy soldier, it is a eutectic (u-tech-tic) alloy meaning that it will melt at a lower temp then either metal when combined.
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Stained Glass projects - March 20th, 2007 at 06:24 PM
Ohh I have the lead one too.. I was just wondering if there was more use with the silver than just repairing my jewelry..

Ohh OK I think I did it wrong when I attached the U-Channel to my project.. :rolleyes: perpl
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]