A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: kennyso Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 12th, 2007 at 09:14 PM
keep us updated! I'm getting jealous, my still haven't poked up yet, but they should any day now!
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 13th, 2007 at 12:19 AM
Yes Kenny They will!! thumbup

Mark yours look Great!!!

Yesterday I actually planted one in the ground Experimenting again!!!! thumbup
Posted By: comfrey Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 13th, 2007 at 06:04 PM
Yours look great Mark!!!!

I have been thinking mine has out grown my lights so I have to move it and I think I need to put it into a bigger pot, but am afraid to since it is so large. Anyone have any thought about this? I also would like to suggest that everyone might want to fertilize theres with a weak solution or someone might be brave enough to try it and let everyone know. shocked I Just found out that with my last transplant that the some of the soil I used was mixed with miracle grow potting mix, which had been mixed up for something else I planted and I thought it was just plain potting soil. So fertilizing may help everyone else???? That might have been why I lost my second plant if there was too much miracle grow potting soil in that pot..Fertilizer burn??? I need to pay more attention when mixing soil up and label it when I store it for future use to make sure I am using the correct soil.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 13th, 2007 at 06:27 PM
Will get a couple of pics and post them later...now that its fixed!!!
Posted By: sibyl Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 13th, 2007 at 07:42 PM
i remember reading somwere there bigest pot to be planted in is a 3 gal pot,

cant wait to see your pic penny! laugh i woulda like to see the look on your face when ya went to toss em out ans saw they sprouted laugh thumbup ........ grinnnn
Posted By: badplanter Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 13th, 2007 at 08:57 PM
Thanks, everyone kissies

Comfrey.. I'm already testing different soil types[seed starting mix, potting mix], so why not fertilizer! laugh laugh

I'll be the test subject thumbup
Posted By: patunia Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 13th, 2007 at 09:07 PM
so what exactly is this wonder egg plant?
a white eggplant?
inquiring minds want to know... smile
Posted By: floweringchild Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 13th, 2007 at 10:52 PM
Hi all,

Just read the latest with everyone's wonder egg plants. Mark, yours are looking good. And Penny, I too can't wait to see pics of yours. Shirley 4, congrats, sibyl, hang in there, kenny cheromi. Angelblossom, yours look fantastic! Seems your plan for sun light is working. Comfrey, wow, again. Seeing blooms are really something. And to think mine were planted on Dec. 19th and are so small. Wish I had used a grow lamp. I can't complain though as I have not had to replant seeds. First time around was a charm for my little wonder egg seeds as they did not fail me. They are very small, but, are holding on.

I finally transferred some to 4 inch pots and one in a 6 inch pot. I still have some in one of the original pots and wished I could give them to those who are trying all over again.

Here's a look at mine. These pics were taken close to a week ago. I took them outside for direct sunlight twice since the pics were taken.

[Linked Image]

Another pic

[Linked Image]
Posted By: chermoni Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 13th, 2007 at 10:59 PM
I've got new sprouts and so far they are looking good. I tried the baggie thing this time. When should I stop putting a baggie over the pot? Now that they've sprouted or wait? Thanks for your help.
Posted By: comfrey Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 14th, 2007 at 03:38 AM
Stephanie..Your plants look nice and healthy!!!

Mark any all purpose plant food would work, just use a diluted mixture.

Chermoni...If they have sprouted yes remove the plastic & congratulations on getting sprouts!!!

Here is a picture of my only plant I have left, it just keeps getting bloom after bloom, I can't wait until the eggs start forming.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: comfrey Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 14th, 2007 at 03:49 AM
Originally posted by patunia:
so what exactly is this wonder egg plant?
a white eggplant?
inquiring minds want to know... smile
I searched through the archives, but the beginning of this thread doesn't seem to exist anymore. But to try and answer your question...I believe it is related to egg plant, but is not really eatable, as it is very bitter. It is just kind of a novel plant that has real looking eggs on it, the seeds are expensive to buy and most of us traded or received seeds from each other. Here is the info on it that I posted a couple of threads ago:

Wonder Egg Plant- Solanum Ovigerum

-Small bright purple flower
-White egg Fruit that turns yellow, orange & finally brown when done or ready for seed harvest
-Annual, set outdoors after danger of frost is past
-Grows 3' tall...Plant 9"-1" apart
-Produces egg shaped fruit in 2 months, Bearing 10-20 eggs per plant
-Needs Full sun
Posted By: comfrey Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 14th, 2007 at 03:54 AM
I know i need to put mine in a bigger pot...I am thinking of just breaking the pot and trying not to disturb the roots or plant as much as possible and sit right into a pre-filled pot with the right sized hole in the middle for the plant and soil, do you think this might work and not cause trauma to my plant???
Posted By: Shirley4 Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 14th, 2007 at 04:42 AM
Comfrey your plants had looked so healthy I can't imagine you having on one left!! I still have all six of mine, and they are getting so big! I'm going to have to do something with then. I had some miracle grow mixed into my potting soil?! Duh
You said they bear fruit in two months. Mine will be three months old tomorrow!! No egg babies! I thought it was you who should us egg babie? If not who was it? I can't remember.
Posted By: comfrey Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 14th, 2007 at 07:17 PM
I have blooms so the eggs should be coming soon...And it has been just shy of 3 months for mine. I started my seeds Dec 15 Had sprouts Dec 20-22. But those facts probable pertain to a plant grown outdoors also, so not too bad for indoor grown.

One of my plants I lost because it became root bound and I didn't realize until it was to late, it didn't survive transplanting and the other plant I had...it looks pitiful, but still has a couple of leaves and one bud, but I don't believe it will make it.
Posted By: Dixie Angel Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 14th, 2007 at 07:47 PM
Bev, I can't believe how healthy your plants look and how much they are growing. Mine seem to be at a standstill and I have them under grow light...

Dianna
Posted By: kennyso Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 14th, 2007 at 08:16 PM
Despite prayers, music, and reading to them, the seeds haven't sprouted...one more try, I have a feeling this is going to be success! Comfrey, have you tried to pollenate by hand? That's what I do with my jerusalem cherry. I remmeber reading somewhere that tomatoes can be hand pollenated and so can anything in the same genus, but you have to do it aroun dnoon or something...I'd just try for the sake of it:D:D:D
Posted By: badplanter Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 14th, 2007 at 10:18 PM
Kenny-- are you covering it with plastic wrap, and keeping the soil moist? Duh

Well, I was able to get some miracle grow all purpose plant food, and put some of it into my spray bottle... let's see what happens! thumbup
Posted By: chermoni Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 15th, 2007 at 12:02 AM
I'm just hoping that these sprouts don't decide to lay down and call it quits like the last ones did. So far so good. Oh, Mark, those basil seeds you sent me are growing really good. grinnnn
Posted By: Shirley4 Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 15th, 2007 at 12:08 AM
Cheryl, my cinnamon basil is up really good too!
Posted By: badplanter Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 15th, 2007 at 12:37 AM
Cheryl- those sprouted already? laugh laugh grinnnn

That reminds me... I started blue boy bachelor buttons on Saturday night... Yesterday morning I had sprouts! grinnnn Now THAT'S quick laugh

Shirley, I have yet to start my herbs.. everything else is started.. laugh
Posted By: Dixie Angel Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 15th, 2007 at 01:54 AM
I repotted four of my wonder eggs today into 4 inch pots. Hope that will give them a thought about growing up to fill them......
Posted By: Michael15r Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 15th, 2007 at 04:50 AM
Wow Bev! The plant is difiantly getting bigger and bigger! I'm surely seeing a HUGE difference! I haven't started mines yet, but FOR SURE Tomorrow! Thank you so much! I will surely keep you updated here for sure! This will be my first plant that will produce an egg other than my CHICKENS! HAHAHAHA

As soon as it gets pretty big could I plant it in the ground??
Posted By: comfrey Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 15th, 2007 at 04:53 PM
Yes you can plant it in the ground, and it doesn't need to be very big to plant outdoors. In your climate it will probable do great. We all found that if you just barely cover the seed and keep moist with a cover over the pot & also heat seems to help them sprout better and quicker. Good Luck Michael!!!
Posted By: chermoni Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 15th, 2007 at 06:56 PM
Mark, I planted the basil on the same day as the wonder eggs and the basil sprouted 3 days before the wonder eggs did. I've never grown an herb before and I thought it would make a good kitchen plant. On the wonder eggs, I have 7 sprouts and they are all looking really good so far. Reaching for the sun we've been getting. I keep having to turn the pot to get them to not all lean in the same direction. No sign of them laying down so far (knock on wood).
Posted By: Michael15r Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 16th, 2007 at 04:06 AM
Thank you Bev for all your advance help! I will hope for the best. Just planted them this evening and I'm expecting 80s until Monday at least. I have 6 pots ready to go!
Posted By: chermoni Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 17th, 2007 at 05:48 AM
Perhaps I have more than 7 and maybe planted a few too many in the same pot? shocked laugh

[Linked Image]
Posted By: badplanter Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 17th, 2007 at 03:57 PM
Cher-- laugh laugh laugh thumbup
Posted By: Michael15r Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 17th, 2007 at 10:26 PM
Good Luck Cheryl ! I wish you well, This is actually going to be pretty fun! I can't wait until mines start sprouting!
Posted By: floweringchild Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 20th, 2007 at 12:27 AM
Went out of town for five days and had forgotten to water my wonder egg plants before I left. eek Worried about them while I was gone. Yesterday I returned to find all doing very well. They have even gotten a little bigger. All along the plants seemed healthy and strong, fortunately. Tomorrow I will bring them outside for a litte sunlight. I wanted to keep them outside but our nights are still cool. I'll take a few pics later this week. I don't think I will have eggs for Easter at the rate these puppies are looking presently. laugh eek

Bev, sorry about your plants. But as you say, at least you have one HUGE plant there. Can't wait until you get those eggs and it sounds soon.
Mark, can you take a few pics of yours? Michael, glad to have you growing wonder egg plants with us! wink
Chermoni, hope yours are doing well. Shirley, you too and all others. Angelblossom, what's going on with yours?
Pics everyone? flw
Posted By: badplanter Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 20th, 2007 at 01:05 AM
Mark, can you take a few pics of yours?
my smallest:
[Linked Image]

next largest:
[Linked Image]

and the two biggest ones together:
[Linked Image]

all of them together:
[Linked Image]

This biggest one is nearing 9 1/2 inches! thumbup
The bottom leaves on mine are still slowing falling off...
Posted By: sibyl Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 20th, 2007 at 02:17 AM
clpcheryl,& mark yours are lookin good!
im getting true leaves on mine! i think i'll have eggs for the 4th of july laugh
Posted By: comfrey Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 20th, 2007 at 03:11 AM
Yours look great Mark!!!!

I am beginning to think Kenny is right since mine are indoors I need to try hand pollination, the flowers when they finish bloom, just dry up and the whole stem just dries up & drops off.
Posted By: kennyso Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 20th, 2007 at 08:38 AM
:clap::clap::clap: Mark youe's ar doing very well!
Posted By: floweringchild Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 20th, 2007 at 10:22 PM
oh no, comfrey. eek I sure hope you get eggs.

Thanks Mark for showing pics. Your plants look great!

Anyone heard from angelblossom? Wondering how her plants are doing.

I took mine outside today and may keep them there. I'm a little concerned about the squirrels in my yard though, as they try to destroy everything they get their little grubs on grinnnn They will be DEAD MEAT if they mess with these little plants for sure! laugh
Posted By: sibyl Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 21st, 2007 at 02:31 PM
laugh bad squirls!
Posted By: floweringchild Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 21st, 2007 at 11:15 PM
Hey Christy,
yeah those squirrels are a real menace. I'm been seeing over the little wonder egg plants today. It seems the squirrels have not snooped around them, today anyway. I'm keeping a watch out as the plants are so small and yet have been growing on my window sill since December 19th. flw
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 22nd, 2007 at 04:35 PM
Okay Here are Mine..

The one that is in ground looks kinda weak BUt it had just gotten rained on [Linked Image]

The one in the pot looks better I think! [Linked Image]
Posted By: floweringchild Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 22nd, 2007 at 04:39 PM
Diane, they look great! clp Did the others make it?
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 22nd, 2007 at 05:25 PM
Yes Steph I gave a lot of them away!! My neighbor got a few and soo did Jimmy and another coworker,, They all say they are still growing!! thumbup flw
Posted By: badplanter Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 22nd, 2007 at 06:57 PM
Very good, Diane! thumbup grinnnn
Posted By: comfrey Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 23rd, 2007 at 03:05 AM
Looking really good Diane!!!!

I hope I didn't do the wrong thing, but today I took my plant outside and put it in a kind of protected area so the cats can't get to it, it will get sun and afternoon shade, hopefully the bees or bugs will find it and pollinate some of the flowers so I can have eggs. It has been 70's everyday and 50's at night, if it is going to get colder at night I will bring it back indoors.
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 23rd, 2007 at 03:24 AM
Comfrey I've had mine out for quite a while now even when the nights went to forties it didn't seem to hurt them mine get morning sun and afternoon shade too.
Is yours still blooming???
Posted By: comfrey Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 23rd, 2007 at 03:26 AM
Yes mine is still blooming & has alot of unopened buds on it.
Posted By: sibyl Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 23rd, 2007 at 03:35 PM
lookin good diane!

i have one thats doing realy good, the others look wimpy, but their hanging in,
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Wonder Eggs Seed Process (part 8) - March 23rd, 2007 at 03:40 PM
Glad to hear yours are still blooming Comfrey,, AND Glad to Know your are hanging in there Christy!!
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]