A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Carly How can I help my seeds to sprout? - March 22nd, 2007 at 12:16 AM
I get so frustrated when I don't see my seeds popping - maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Each year, I deadhead my own stuff, and other people's stuff - I dry my seeds, then loosely pack them in bags - preferably paper.

Some of the pots I have on the windowsill have been in there a month and I haven't seen a speck of green.

Is there something I can be doing?

There's plenty of sunlight in that window and I do keep the topsoil moist.

Would putting them in the sink for a good steam help any?
Posted By: badplanter Re: How can I help my seeds to sprout? - March 22nd, 2007 at 12:25 AM
have you tried covering them with plastic wrap?

how warm are they?

don't water from the top, if you didn't know that..

I lost all my snapdragons, lavender, and tomatoes because of damping off, which is from watering from the top.. had to start over.. :p

only water when the soil is dry, then don't water again, until it is dry again...water from the bottom, let the water absorb into it.. then take it out once it's wet at the top...
maybe what you're planting takes a while to germinate? I know things like columbines take a while.. Duh

I'm not exactly sure as to what else, because the things I restarted won't sprout.. thumbup

--mark--
Posted By: ND farm girl Re: How can I help my seeds to sprout? - March 22nd, 2007 at 06:01 PM
I can check my 'bible' on seed starting if you tell me what kind of seeds. I haven't had any problems at all with all the seeds I've started.
Posted By: badplanter Re: How can I help my seeds to sprout? - March 22nd, 2007 at 10:55 PM
**hey Patty, could you possibly check lavender, bachelor buttons, tomatoes, and blanket flower for me?!?! kissies kissies thumbup

--mark--
Posted By: Carly Re: How can I help my seeds to sprout? - March 23rd, 2007 at 12:40 PM
Well, that explains everything - I've been watering from the top.

No - I didn't use plastic wrap.

I do have a few sprouts, but not as much as I'd like to see.

Grrrrrrrr . . .

Oh, well - guess it's 'whatyouseeiswhatyouget'.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: How can I help my seeds to sprout? - March 23rd, 2007 at 01:35 PM
Carly, can you tell us what seeds you're tryin' to start, and maybe we can fine tune each individual one/kind..
Some need light, some need a fine covering/layer of soil, some of the bigger one's need to be into the soil a certain depth...
Some seeds need to go thru a cold period before they are viable...
So, let us know which one's you're tryin', okay??
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]