A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: BroDoug Checking In - December 21st, 2006 at 09:58 PM
Just checking back in. Been gone most of the year. I hope everyone has a nice gardening experience this coming year. I had a banana tree that had banana's on it this year. They did not fully develope but was very nice to have comments from people around here. My first comment came from my postman. He said he was wondering what I was planting out the past 3 years. Sometime later I may post a few pic's I took of it. I have saved 1 pup from it and gave away 4 others. I have it in my basement and probably will be about 2 more years before it produces like it parent.

Well everyone have a Merry Christmas and I may see about trading a few seeds again this year

Bro. Doug
Posted By: Handbright Re: Checking In - December 24th, 2006 at 11:29 PM
Good morning B.D. glad to hear that your banana not only produced, but also pupped! If you take the "hand" of bananas and hang them upside down in a fairly protected place (like a warm garage) they will ripen. Left on the tree it takes 180 days- which is too long for any real warmth outside where you are.
Congrats tho- banana trees that produce in Illinois means you are doing the green thumb jig!
rock on!
L
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Checking In - December 28th, 2006 at 09:35 AM
How long have you been growing banana's???

And how do you keep them growing zone 5 or so?
What kind of lighting and heat do you have for them..

Would love to see some pictures if you have them...
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]