A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Tonya Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 16th, 2006 at 04:35 AM
I spent today making and hanging decorations with Summer. Our goal- a Halloween ready house. We were armed with pale blue cloth, white cloth, cotton batting, a Sharpie, some sheer cloth and a few plastic spideys.

We went to work ready to make some sppoky ghosts:
[Linked Image]
OK, so maybe not too spooky, but we had fun! grinnnn
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

These are hanging in the trees in front of the house- I'll get pics of them hanging in a bit..
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 16th, 2006 at 04:36 AM
Very Cute!! Great job on the faces Summer!! thumbup
Posted By: Tonya Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 16th, 2006 at 04:38 AM
We also made some Spidey webs with the sheer material. Here we are at work!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And the finished look(one side only- we did both, but don't have those pics yet either):
[Linked Image]
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 16th, 2006 at 04:39 AM
Very cute, Tonya! Makes me wish my kids were younger again, and still enjoyed doing those things with me!

Can't wait to see more pictures!

(psssssssst - I used to use large kitchen plastic trash bags - white for ghosts, black for bats, and use an inflated balloon for the head, to make larger ghost too!)
Posted By: Tonya Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 16th, 2006 at 04:41 AM
I was hoping to use the large black bags and a balloon to make a BIG spider to hang in the tree along with the ghosts.
Summer did tell me "Mom, today was the best!" cool I cherish her enjoying these things with me now, I know it won't last!
One more pic of Mack and Summer playing with the decorations:
[Linked Image]

Now- everyone share your decorations with us!
Posted By: chenno Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 16th, 2006 at 05:46 AM
So cute,I just have mums on an old chair and gourds and pumpkins,a few stalks...
Posted By: Karrie Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 16th, 2006 at 06:43 AM
Very cute, it looks like you had a wonderful day. The girls are so cute. I still need to decorate, the stuff is in the attic. :p
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 16th, 2006 at 07:07 AM
AHHH Tonya I miss those days eek thumbup wink
Do you have any black contruction paper to make a witches hat? take old pair of Summer or Macks Jeans and stuff with a towel(s) to fill out and a large black shirt and have it stradle an old wood broom, ( you could use plant training wire or tomatoe ties to hold it to the broom OR a wood staple gun to attache material to the broom use an old pillow case or any scrap material stuffed for the head and put a witches hat on it, and use two wire coat hangers to hook to the broom (Front of witch and back of witch and hang from your porch or tree. It's been years since I did that But I Think that's how I did it. I used my daughter jeans But used my black shirt so the shirt was Far bigger than the jeans so it draped over.

Like I said it's been ever 20 years since I did that but you get the ideal Huh? laugh laugh
Posted By: ksgardnr Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 16th, 2006 at 08:20 AM
Very cute ghosts Tonya, I think I will have Jeremy do something like that, that is a cute idea!
I have pumpkin scarecrow lights, grim reaper lights, a bat light on the big window outside, & pumpkin/ghost lighted garland aroung the doorway outside, then an electric pumpkin on a stool. Then I have a skeleton, a lighted cauldron, & ghost windsock hanging off the porch. Our usb port won't work right now, so sorry no pics! Have lots of cute Halloweenie stuff in the house too, & my son Jeremy likes the ghost that when you squeeze his hand and he says,
" Happy Halloweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeennnnnn!!!!!
Posted By: sibyl Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 16th, 2006 at 10:33 AM
Tonya
looks like you all had fun! cute ghosts, and kids!
Posted By: princessazlea Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 16th, 2006 at 12:39 PM
Tonya, I like the web with the spider thumbup
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 16th, 2006 at 06:51 PM
Great job Tonya!!!!

Looks like the kids had a blast too!!
Posted By: Wrennie Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 16th, 2006 at 07:16 PM
I used to make bats with black posterboard and hang them from the ceiling of my front porch. thumbup
I made ghosts like you did too clp

It looks like you had fun!
Posted By: Tonya Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 16th, 2006 at 07:19 PM
Thanks, y'all!! We did have a great time! It looks a little cheesy in comparison to the decorations across the street thet are store bought and really cool, but.....we did it together and Summer likes it, so Duh I didn't mean to hog the thread! laugh laugh
Posted By: Wrennie Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 16th, 2006 at 07:35 PM
I dont decorate at this house... [Linked Image]
Posted By: Wrennie Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 16th, 2006 at 07:37 PM
Do I have your mailing addy???
{{checking}}
Nope. I could send you a bat or two if I still have them and you and Summer could make more.
Posted By: Tonya Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 16th, 2006 at 07:38 PM
Why not decorate Wrennie?? Just outta curiosity....
Posted By: Wrennie Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 16th, 2006 at 07:51 PM
My last house was the most, and if i do say so myself, best decorated house on the street. I got tons of trick or treaters. The whole road did. My friend Lynne who lived with me, when she was a kid, wanted to be a vampire when she grew up and was pagan so it was her favorite holiday too(incentive for me to go all out)
Here, nothing. No trick or treaters, too many empty vacation homes,houses too far apart. My neighbor decorates. NOt sure why. But I hear town is hopping at Halloween. I'll ask other shop owners what they do. Maybe I'll do up the store. Better find those bats!
I have 1 wooden ghost and a big spider I may put out here. Wonder where that spider is. Hmmmm.
Posted By: Tonya Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 16th, 2006 at 08:00 PM
Definitely decorate the store- I can understand none at the house....waste of time, kinda if noone will see it.

Doug is making some tombstones today... mad OR ELSE!! mad Then I will work on the witch! I'll post more then!
Posted By: sibyl Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 16th, 2006 at 09:30 PM
thats one thing i miss about living in town, we dont get any trick or treaters out here in the country,, unless i toss some corn on the cobs over the fence to the neibors horses, cows, and donkeys! laugh grinnnn we still decorate inside, pumpkins everywere,we have yet to do outside, have to find the time,
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 16th, 2006 at 09:48 PM
I have decorations outside.....I'll have to snap a picture in a bit.

Love the decs Tonya....That's the things your children will remember as they get older.....the decorating and fun things like that. thumbup
Posted By: Tonya Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 16th, 2006 at 09:53 PM
I uploaded some more pics into PB here

Didn't want to totally clog the server shocked laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 16th, 2006 at 10:04 PM
Tonya I keep getting the page can't be displayed---not sure if it's just me or not. Is it a public album? Maybe someone else can try the link to see if it's just me or if it's the link.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 16th, 2006 at 10:05 PM
Cant see them either???
Posted By: Tonya Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 16th, 2006 at 10:05 PM
It is the link....I am trying to upload and posted it wrong....as soon as the new pics are uploaded- I'll try again! thumbup
Posted By: Tonya Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 16th, 2006 at 10:07 PM
You can also click on my link in my sig line and click on Family from there....same thing! shocked
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 16th, 2006 at 10:10 PM
I saw them.....what a great job Tonya....the ghosts look spooky in the tree!!!
Posted By: Tonya Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 16th, 2006 at 10:13 PM
It should work now....
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 16th, 2006 at 10:18 PM
Very cool, Tonya! thumbup

The ghosts look great hanging from the tree!
Posted By: Triss Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 17th, 2006 at 01:26 AM
Tonya, Your pics are great. I am gonna get my decorations out today and see about getting them outside.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 17th, 2006 at 04:02 AM
I hope this link to my decorations works....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 17th, 2006 at 04:56 AM
Very colorful and festive, loz - you did a great job! thumbup
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 17th, 2006 at 04:59 AM
Thanks Lynne, I like decorating for fall almost as much as Xmas.....and I love it when the seasonal decorations go on sale after fall/xmas are over....I buy 'em all up! Last year I got TONS of stuff at the Walmart 75 percent off sale. muggs
Posted By: Triss Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 17th, 2006 at 04:59 AM
Beautiful Loz!!! Love all the stuff you have done!
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 17th, 2006 at 05:16 AM
I'm right there with you, loz - gotta get there first thing in the morning when they mark that stuff down, right??? [Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 17th, 2006 at 05:31 AM
Thanks Triss. wavey Yep Lynne--last year on that day I went I did NOT want to go out, but once I got there I pushed my way through those crowds...well not really pushed, but you could barely move it was so crowded, and I'm claustrophobic. :p
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 21st, 2006 at 12:12 AM
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: chenno Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 21st, 2006 at 12:15 AM
Loz and Rita...looks great:-) spooky;-)
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 21st, 2006 at 12:16 AM
Still have much more to do but... It will be a bit later!!
Posted By: Triss Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 21st, 2006 at 12:21 AM
Looks good so far Rita!
Posted By: chenno Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 21st, 2006 at 12:23 AM
I want to go to your houses and trick or treat:-)
Posted By: Tonya Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 21st, 2006 at 12:31 AM
Looks great you guys!! I need to do more, too!! This weekend thumbup
Posted By: chenno Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 21st, 2006 at 12:41 AM
Tonya yours are great too:-)
Posted By: Tonya Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 21st, 2006 at 01:00 AM
Thanks Angie- I like 'em and we had fun making themso that is all that matters! wink
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 21st, 2006 at 01:01 AM
Looks great Rita!!
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 21st, 2006 at 01:55 AM
I really want one of those zombies that crawl on the floor!! shk lala
Posted By: Tonya Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 22nd, 2006 at 08:39 PM
My new decorations:
Widget

More to come thumbup
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 22nd, 2006 at 08:42 PM
Looks awsome Tonya!!!
Posted By: Tonya Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 22nd, 2006 at 09:19 PM
So do yours....I love the little "kid" in orange! Too cute!
Posted By: Tonya Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 23rd, 2006 at 02:48 AM
My big spider made out of black garbage bags and cardboard....I cut him out freehand. I like him! thumbup

[Linked Image]

from my steps
[Linked Image]

lying on the porch looking up(don't ask laugh laugh )
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tonya Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 23rd, 2006 at 02:50 AM
It just hit me that the face and the hourglass shouldn't both be visible all at once.... nutz Oh, Well!! laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 23rd, 2006 at 02:56 AM
Looks so neat Tonya....i love the fern on the porch too!!!
Posted By: Tonya Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 23rd, 2006 at 03:35 AM
Doug bought the fern for me- I'm surprised I haven't killed it yet! laugh laugh Apparently it thrives on neglect...

We also got the tombstones and a couple crosses cut, but I can't paint them because it started raining... :p I can do it tomorrow, tho! clp clp
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 23rd, 2006 at 11:51 AM
looks good to me!
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 23rd, 2006 at 07:05 PM
Here are some pumpkins I carved out on sunday..
Felt like it took me forever

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 23rd, 2006 at 07:13 PM
Great job Rita!!!!
Posted By: Tonya Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 23rd, 2006 at 07:23 PM
Those are AWESOME!!! I still havent gotten pumpkins....
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 23rd, 2006 at 07:40 PM
Pumpkins are EXPENSIVE!! 3 for 40 bucks :p next year I am going to try to grow them myself!!!
Posted By: Tonya Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 23rd, 2006 at 07:58 PM
shk shk shk That IS expensive!!! We will be getting ONE! laugh laugh
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 23rd, 2006 at 07:59 PM
shk shk shk Thats crazy for pumpkins Rita, they are cheap up here!!
Posted By: Wrennie Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 23rd, 2006 at 08:18 PM
i grew one this year. It's not big enough to carve though. I did get a bunch of gourds too. All volunteers.
Posted By: Triss Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 24th, 2006 at 12:54 AM
New decorations all look great. Those pumkins were cute. Cannot believe the price though. SO far I have spent $12 on pumkins and those two were huge. The kids got 2 free for their trip and the in-laws brought over 2 from the garden. We should be good to go on pumpkins. Have yet to carve them though.
Posted By: Tonya Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 27th, 2006 at 07:27 AM
I finally finished (sorta) my tombstones.....here are some pics:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wrennie Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 27th, 2006 at 07:06 PM
cool thumbup
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 27th, 2006 at 07:09 PM
Great job and the one with Summer peeking over the top is so cute...poor Mack didnt look happy though.
Looks great!
Posted By: Tonya Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 27th, 2006 at 07:12 PM
She wasn't happy- she was MAD at me for putting her down to take the pic.
Posted By: sibyl Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 27th, 2006 at 07:34 PM
nice pics, i wouldnt thought to make tombstones, just wooden crosses.
Posted By: chenno Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 27th, 2006 at 10:03 PM
Rita your pumpkins are very cool:-)
Love your spider tonya and deco penny;-)
Looks so good you guys!
Posted By: ksgardnr Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 30th, 2006 at 04:51 AM
I like your tombstones Tonya! And Rita, your pumpkins looks awesome. I can't believe how expensive they were though, OUCH! Our pumpkins around here have a fungus this year so they are saying not to carve them til Monday night so they won't rot. Jeremy & I made ghosts last night, 3 of them, He named them a mommy, daddy, & Jeremy ghost! laugh
Posted By: Tonya Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 30th, 2006 at 08:51 AM
We got our pumpkins all picked out and carved today! YAY!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 30th, 2006 at 09:20 AM
that looks like so much fun... i'm not doing pumpkins or decorations this year. but i am sure enjoying yours!
Posted By: Tonya Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 30th, 2006 at 09:21 AM
My final 3......(you can see the rest in my "family" album in Photobucket)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 30th, 2006 at 08:29 PM
Doug Put down the knife!! clp
Posted By: Dixie Angel Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 30th, 2006 at 08:36 PM
Tonya, fantastic job on your Halloween decor! I love those tombstones!

Your children are very beautiful. I miss mine being little...

I think I would take the knife away from Doug now. That was really scary! wink

Rita, I think you did a great job on your punkins! Did you use a template or something? When I lived in NC, every Halloween I would take my children to the Jack-O-Lantern farm in a nearby town. They had some amazing stuff carved into their pumpkins...

Dianna
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 30th, 2006 at 08:39 PM
Great job and pictures!!
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Holiday Decorations ~photo heavy~ - October 30th, 2006 at 08:42 PM
I did use a template for the small ones Dianna.. The boys both chose which ones they wanted..
Halloween is huge here too cause of Salem Mass the witch trials and all..
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]