A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Triss Pic of visit with Sarah 02/06/06 - February 7th, 2006 at 10:16 AM
Hi all, I wanted to share a few pics from our visit with Sarah.

This first one is of Sarah and I and some of the kids.
[Linked Image]

Sarah with Lys and Mike in her plant room. She has those shelves full of AV's. laugh
[Linked Image]

My favorite, Zack and Abby. Abby did have her head on his legs until I walked up to them.
[Linked Image]

Sarah and Lys with Cricket.
[Linked Image]

And finally the kids at the zoo.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Pic of visit with Sarah 02/06/06 - February 7th, 2006 at 10:29 AM
Oh, those are so good!
I love the one with Zack and Abby!

That bottom pic would make a nice postcard! grinnnn
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Pic of visit with Sarah 02/06/06 - February 7th, 2006 at 10:35 AM
They are really lovely pictures! kissies
Posted By: JV Re: Pic of visit with Sarah 02/06/06 - February 7th, 2006 at 10:47 AM
Pretty women pretty kids, pretty flowers beautiful dogs.
Jimmy
Posted By: jonni13 Re: Pic of visit with Sarah 02/06/06 - February 7th, 2006 at 11:18 AM
What Jimmy said thumbup
I'm practicing my photograghy. You're pictures are good. And everyone looks terrific.
Posted By: MissJamie Re: Pic of visit with Sarah 02/06/06 - February 7th, 2006 at 11:32 AM
wow ya'll look great! it's always nice to put a face with a person. it looks like ya'll had fun...I love that dalmation! he is soooo kute! and the other little dog cricket is sooo adoreable! I just wanna roll in the floor and play with them lol smile
Posted By: Triss Re: Pic of visit with Sarah 02/06/06 - February 7th, 2006 at 11:45 AM
Jamie, Abby is Sarah's Great Dane. It was really cute when Zack first saw her (Abby, not Sarah) He said she was a dalmation. I told him not that she was a Great Dane. Then he said "She's a spotted Great Dane"

Glad you all liked the pics. We had such a good time.
Posted By: barleychown Re: Pic of visit with Sarah 02/06/06 - February 7th, 2006 at 11:52 PM
Great pics, Triss! grinnnn

But, you forgot to mention that you think Abby is HUGE. laugh
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Pic of visit with Sarah 02/06/06 - February 7th, 2006 at 11:53 PM
Originally posted by JV:
Pretty women pretty kids, pretty flowers beautiful dogs.
Jimmy
thumbup i agree!
Posted By: Meg Re: Pic of visit with Sarah 02/06/06 - February 8th, 2006 at 12:50 AM
Nice pics guys! I <3 that one at the bottom with everyone! That's an awesome group photo.

Meg
Posted By: Triss Re: Pic of visit with Sarah 02/06/06 - February 8th, 2006 at 12:51 AM
Well she is HUGE Sarah but I love her! I tell you I am ready to get a Great dane now. Dan has been bugging me for one forever. I was nervous cuz of their size and the kids but seeing Abby totally changed my mind.
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Pic of visit with Sarah 02/06/06 - February 8th, 2006 at 01:02 AM
Triss...we had a Great Dane when I was a kid. It was the most gentle dog we ever had. A big ole gentle giant!

I hope you get one!
Posted By: Triss Re: Pic of visit with Sarah 02/06/06 - February 8th, 2006 at 01:10 AM
See there is another endorsement. I have been doing a lot more research and everything I have read and now seen leads me to believe that Dane's are one of the most gentle dogs around. We need a bigger place and a yard though. But as soon as that happens, I will be getting one or two laugh
Posted By: barleychown Re: Pic of visit with Sarah 02/06/06 - February 8th, 2006 at 01:13 AM
I will be getting one or two
Oh, man...I have corrupted you again. You may need to stay away from me! p
Posted By: Triss Re: Pic of visit with Sarah 02/06/06 - February 8th, 2006 at 01:21 AM
No, laugh this time you do not get the blame as Dan has been working on me since I met him for a Dane. I just always like having TWO dogs so they have a canine companion all of the time.
Posted By: Patty S Re: Pic of visit with Sarah 02/06/06 - February 8th, 2006 at 01:43 AM
What a happy looking bunch! So glad you got to get down into Oregon Triss! Next time, put me on the list somewhere! (Our drive-through zoo is awesome!) Take a look at Wildlife Safari.
Posted By: Triss Re: Pic of visit with Sarah 02/06/06 - February 8th, 2006 at 01:52 AM
I emailed you Patty but you never got back to me. We have been through that wildlife safari and it was way cool. Will have to do it again since we have more kids now. Lys was just a baby when we did it.

I will be up that way again beginning of April.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Pic of visit with Sarah 02/06/06 - February 8th, 2006 at 02:11 AM
~~~~~>Alright Sarah,
Give me the perspective on the size of bed
Abby is on top of???
She is beautifulllllllllll!!!
*I told you I'd seen those two jet black sisters,
and I would have taken them home in a heart beat,
they were soooo sweet, but they were $300 a piece thumbup
Posted By: Triss Re: Pic of visit with Sarah 02/06/06 - February 8th, 2006 at 02:18 AM
Weezie,

That bed is about the size of a baby crib mattress, in fact Sarah uses one of them for Abby in the room. And I am gonna give her mine once the baby is outta the crib as a back-up.

Lys is really into posing, I have another one of her at the park with her posed almost exactly the same, it is too funny!

Patrick is about 5'4" and about ready to pass me up in a few more inches. He is getting up there and has not even hit his teen growth spurt yet.
Posted By: tamara Re: Pic of visit with Sarah 02/06/06 - February 8th, 2006 at 02:28 AM
It's nice to be able to put a face with the name. Nice pictures gals.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Pic of visit with Sarah 02/06/06 - February 8th, 2006 at 02:40 AM
~~~~>Well Triss, he's wayyyy taller than I am!
Holy cow!! He will be a very tall boy when he finally stops growing, won't he???

I kept looking at the picture of the bed,
and how she looked like she was the length
*or width* of the bed and I'm nooooooo wayy.
even for a single, she looked huge on it..
*rethinks, maybe very good idea I didn't get those two jet black sisters, I'd have no room in my house*

My niece who lives in Arizona has Dane...
He's HUGE...she's even on a great dane forum I think too, don't know the name of it though!!
*My brother who lives in Oregon has a girl Mastiff, and she's 140lbs*
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Pic of visit with Sarah 02/06/06 - February 8th, 2006 at 02:45 AM
Originally posted by tamara:
It's nice to be able to put a face with the name. Nice pictures gals.
Yes it is Tamara...
I got to seeeeeee youuuuuuuu on your digi cam post!!!
Very cool little gadget that must be!!!
Posted By: barleychown Re: Pic of visit with Sarah 02/06/06 - February 8th, 2006 at 02:47 AM
Weezie, Abby is 32" tall at the shoulder, and 42" from nose to butt. Triss is right, that is about the size of a crib matress, a little bigger...it's a futon mattress folded in half. grinnnn She loves it.
Posted By: Triss Re: Pic of visit with Sarah 02/06/06 - February 8th, 2006 at 02:49 AM
How tall are you Weezie? His father was 6'3" so I expect him ot be that or even taller.

On Abby, the baby is just shorter than Abby's back and Lys is probably shorter than her head when she is standing. It is just wild that she is such a big dog but so sweet and gentle. (though Sarah was worried Abby would knock the kiddos all over the place)
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: Pic of visit with Sarah 02/06/06 - February 8th, 2006 at 02:56 AM
Abby is 32" tall at the shoulder, and 42" from nose to butt
Wow! I'm only 5 feet tall...that dog would come up to my chest!!! She is just gorgeous Sarah. And so are you!!
I would love to get another dog..I would love a Great Dane. Unfortuanately, there's no way I could afford a pure bred dog. When people ask me what kind of dog mine is, I always say, "Appalachian Possum Hound". Of course I just made that up...but you'd be so surprised how many people will say, "Wow, I've never heard of that kind before." And I'll say, "Well, they're a rare breed, in fact, this is probably the only one you'll ever see" laugh

Triss, you are your children are just gorgeous!! I just love seeing pictures!

Christina
Posted By: barleychown Re: Pic of visit with Sarah 02/06/06 - February 8th, 2006 at 02:56 AM
I'm Shocked she didn't knock at least one over. She doesn't have the best depth perception, and just yesterday was running around loose in a park and plowed into me headlong at full speed. Mike just laughed and said it was payback.

At least I stayed on my feet! laugh laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: barleychown Re: Pic of visit with Sarah 02/06/06 - February 8th, 2006 at 03:03 AM
The reason more people do not have (or should not have) great danes is because they MUST be indoor dogs. Just like chiuauas, they do not have a fat layer under their skin. They easily get too cold, and even too hot. They are super-sensitive, and get their feelings hurt easy. They do not like to be alone.

I'll step off of my soapbox now. shocked I just do not want anyone to see her pic, and think "gee, I want one" without knowing about them.
Posted By: Fernie Re: Pic of visit with Sarah 02/06/06 - February 8th, 2006 at 03:07 AM
What great pictures! Abby is a harlequin great dane huh? I know about this guy in Lewiston that lives in this little bitty house and raises danes! Theya re the normal fawn color. And a real pack of them....4 or 5!! I don't know how the guy lives in the house, it hardly looks big enough for all the dogs!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Pic of visit with Sarah 02/06/06 - February 8th, 2006 at 03:17 AM
Originally posted by Triss:
How tall are you Weezie? His father was 6'3" so I expect him ot be that or even taller.
Well, the last time I was measured, I was 4' 11 4/3".... and probably shrinking as I type... :p
They wouldn't even give me that last 1/4"... frown

And my husband is 6'3" too...
*talk about Mutt and Jeff* wink laugh
*I do his laundry and hold his pants up to me to fold and his pant tops are up to my arm pits.. :rolleyes: *
I could NOT imagine having a set of legs that long..

Originally posted by barleychown:
Weezie, Abby is 32" tall at the shoulder, and 42" from nose to butt.
That means she's almost a yard stick TALL???
And wayyyy over one long???
Wow...
She sure looks like alot of FUN though!!!

Originally posted by barleychown:
I'll step off of my soapbox now. shocked I just do not want anyone to see her pic, and think "gee, I want one" without knowing about them.
That is exactly why we don't have one,
we know what needs to be for dogs, and do not
have the extra $$ for taking care of them, etc.
and won't do it to the poor dog..
but I feel the same way you do, so many get a dog,
cause of like a commercial or holiday or something and it's just not the right thing to do.
Posted By: Triss Re: Pic of visit with Sarah 02/06/06 - February 8th, 2006 at 03:26 AM
And that is EXACTLY why I have been researching them so muhc. For us it will be like adding another child to the mix. One who will travel with us and be just as much a part of the family as any of the kiddos.

Too funny about the park. Reminds me I forgot to tell about Abby knocking Mike over.

We were headed to the firehouse and we walked, as we got there, Sarah let Abby go and she ran off towards Mike who tried to catch her but missed and away he tumbled to the ground. As he was rolling over, Abby high tailed it back to Sarah and I thought for sure, she would be next to go down, but she stayed on her feet. Zack thought is was quite funny.

Boy Weezie, I think Zack may be as tall as you.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Pic of visit with Sarah 02/06/06 - February 8th, 2006 at 03:30 AM
Boy Weezie, I think Zack may be as tall as you.

Zack's the second one???????? eek eek
And probably 10 right??? eek eek eek wink laugh

I'm used to it..

There's not many that aren't taller than me,
I've been short, like, my entire life... :rolleyes:
Posted By: Triss Re: Pic of visit with Sarah 02/06/06 - February 8th, 2006 at 03:53 AM
*laughing* yep Zack, the 2nd one, blue coat, hood perpetually ON. He just turned 11 at the beginning of December.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Pic of visit with Sarah 02/06/06 - February 8th, 2006 at 05:01 AM
My oldest loved to put on hoods..
All the time.. he'd even try to wear them
in school, and they told him he couldn't wear
them and he's slowly gotten out of the habit..
but I never minded him wearing it, but peer pressure and all put a nix in it...
*once in awhile, it'll be chilly or he's snugglin' on the couch and you'll find him with
'it back on...
Posted By: jonni13 Re: Pic of visit with Sarah 02/06/06 - February 8th, 2006 at 05:48 AM
I love all this kid/dog talk.
Sarah, the soap box is sometimes necessary. I keep telling people when they get these cute little puppies that they don't stay that way. And "time" is the most important thing you can give them besides food and shelter.
Pretty much goes for kids, too. grinnnn
Posted By: JV Re: Pic of visit with Sarah 02/06/06 - February 8th, 2006 at 07:36 AM
Sarah I used to raise Saint Bernards (another big baby) and Chihuahua's. The Chihuahua is by for the meanest of the breeds. A Dane like a Saint think they are the smallest thing around and a lap dog. A more gentle dog will not be foud. Triss one thing about it if you get one or two (I think you need a pair of rescued Danes)no one will dare mess with you or your kids these dogs are also very protective.
Jimmy
Posted By: Triss Re: Pic of visit with Sarah 02/06/06 - February 8th, 2006 at 09:07 AM
I know, I would not mess with me if I saw me with 2 Great danes!
Posted By: Bestofour Re: Pic of visit with Sarah 02/06/06 - February 8th, 2006 at 09:27 AM
We have 3 dogs and it does take some maneuvering when going on a trip. We've tried taking ToDeTa with us but she barks constantly and even at the pet hotels people complain.

How is it keeping such a big dog in the house? Does she knock things over?

So, how did this get together come about?
Posted By: Triss Re: Pic of visit with Sarah 02/06/06 - February 8th, 2006 at 09:45 AM
Sheri, My hubby had to go out of town. He flew out of Portland and rather than drive hom down and hour and back an hour twice, I decided to pull the kids out of school and drive to Sarah's. And it was worth all of the driving to get there cuz we had so much fun.

My take on a big dog is that they cannot possible knock down more than the kids can laugh
Posted By: barleychown Re: Pic of visit with Sarah 02/06/06 - February 8th, 2006 at 01:50 PM
Sheri, she does fine in our house. But then again, I don't have a coffee table or much down in tail range...not that she wags it much in the house.

Mostly she either stays on her bed or the rug at my feet sleeping or playing with her numerous toys.

Jimmy, you are right! She's a sweetie, but protective if she needs to be. She sat on the couch next to Triss for a few minutes...butt on the couch, front feet on the floor. laugh
Posted By: Triss Re: Pic of visit with Sarah 02/06/06 - February 8th, 2006 at 02:22 PM
Ya know Sarah, I was pretty convinced before that but when she sat next to me, it melted my heart cool
Posted By: JV Re: Pic of visit with Sarah 02/06/06 - February 8th, 2006 at 06:00 PM
If I ever rescued a Dane would need to be a Tiger Dane as Billie loved them and always wanted one also have to be a little girl so I could name her Billie in her honor.But will resuce what ever needs rescued. That is why I say try to Rescue one or two as they are full of love and just needs a family or person to bestow it on. Spot amd Tiki almost knock me down with thier tails. Have to be careful when I have to use a cane as they will knock it out of my hand just walking by or in front of me.
Jimmy
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Pic of visit with Sarah 02/06/06 - February 9th, 2006 at 01:46 AM
wavey Hi All,

i was reading about Triss thinking of getting a dane, they are a great family dog and JV mentioned St.Bernards, we have one and he is the best dog, thinks he is a toy poodle Duh but fabulous with kids and no one bugs your house, the sheer size of them makes people wary of them, our "little guy" is 177lbs and taller then me (5ft2) when he stands on his back legs and we have had the best luck with him, both breeds are very friendly although some people would beg to differ, they cross the street when we walk him, but thats just means more sidewalk room for us.
good luck with your decision...
Penny
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]