A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: plants 'n pots How do I get wax out? - August 29th, 2006 at 02:30 AM
No, not in my ears, though I wish it was so simple to clear up what's bothering them this week! laugh

Last night we had a power failure and Amy and I lit candles. I, unfortunately spilled some wax on a wood floor. She, unfortunately spilled some on the couch fabric.

Any suggestions as to how to get it out?
Posted By: Nana's11 Re: How do I get wax out? - August 29th, 2006 at 02:37 AM
Hi ,
Use ice on it- freeze it on the wood floor for a minute or two- and then scrape the rest up carefully with a dull (butter) knife- on the fabric if heat won't hurt it- put paper towels over it- couple layers- then use your iron to heat it on low- paper towels will absorb it.. should get most of it out like that- may take a couple tries though- my hubby loves candles and I have to do this all the time... he forgets to blow them out! or put something under them like the big plates I buy just for the purpose...LOL!
Nana
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: How do I get wax out? - August 29th, 2006 at 02:42 AM
That would be my suggestion too Lynne, i have tried both and they do work well!
Good luck
Posted By: Tonya Re: How do I get wax out? - August 29th, 2006 at 02:56 AM
On the wood floor, you could use a plastic scraper to get it off. I agree with Nana on the couch! Good luck! thumbup
Posted By: chenno Re: How do I get wax out? - August 29th, 2006 at 03:11 AM
Bummer!try marthastewart.com she probably would know:-) hope it comes out!
Posted By: Triss Re: How do I get wax out? - August 29th, 2006 at 04:23 AM
Good luck on getting that all out Lynne!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: How do I get wax out? - August 29th, 2006 at 04:36 AM
Yep Lynne, I hope you get it out too...we haven't had a power outage here for so long! They are always sort of fun in a way....just not fun when the wax gets spilled huh?
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: How do I get wax out? - August 29th, 2006 at 04:48 AM
Thanks for the great suggestions!

loz - it was not fun - it was 10p.m. and I was in the middle of chatting with my friends here! I knitted by candlelight for a little bit til I needed to be able to see it more clearly, and then went to bed. Didn't get a whole lot of sleep though...
Posted By: 4Ruddy Re: How do I get wax out? - August 29th, 2006 at 06:49 AM
Lynne I do the thing with the iron that Nana suggested...it works everytime. Hope you get it out...

~V~
Posted By: Anonymous Re: How do I get wax out? - August 29th, 2006 at 02:05 PM
for both the fabric and the floor, use the ice to harden the wax and then scrape with a dull knife - get off as much as you can.

then grab the paper towels and the iron. use the heat to get up any of the residue that's still there.
Posted By: Mrs.Bradley Re: How do I get wax out? - September 22nd, 2006 at 10:21 PM
I use the iron thing too.but I use a paper bag instead of paper towels. it works for melted crayons too. after the wax is all up,then you can use regular cleaners to get out the color.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]