A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: BeckyB Just talkin trash! - March 15th, 2006 at 09:39 AM
Ok, I've noticed a lot of coincidences about people in different areas having the same trash pick-up day.

So I was just wondering: where do you live and when is your trash day?

Hi, my name is Becky and I live in Bangor, Maine. My trash day is Wednesday.

Easy reference and reminder guide.

MONDAYS
Nana, Angelblossom

TUESDAYS
HisGal2, Jonni13, Plants 'n Pots, Barleychown

WEDNESDAYS
Becky, Amigatec, Afgreyparrot, Loz, Penny in Ontario, Fernie, Tamara, Triss, Thornius

THURSDAY
Angelblossom, Weezie, Princess Azalea

FRIDAY
HisGal2, Plants 'n Pots

Miss Jamie doesn't have a trash day because she has a dumpster down the road. And Jimmy recycles most of his trash. Look like Wednesday is in the lead so far! laugh
Posted By: Nana's11 Re: Just talkin trash! - March 15th, 2006 at 09:50 AM
LOL!
Hi Becky- I'm in Littleton, Colorado and my trash day is Monday.....
Nana
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Just talkin trash! - March 15th, 2006 at 10:01 AM
I used to work at a landfill, trash day was EVERYDAY.

But now it is on wednesday.
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Just talkin trash! - March 15th, 2006 at 10:19 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Amigatec:
[QB] I used to work at a landfill, trash day was EVERYDAY.

laugh laugh lala Very good!

I'm Diane >I live near Dallas trash day is Monday and Thursday
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Just talkin trash! - March 15th, 2006 at 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Amigatec:
I used to work at a landfill, trash day was EVERYDAY.

But now it is on wednesday.
laugh laugh laugh
That's so true...

Mine's Thursday...
Posted By: hisgal2 Re: Just talkin trash! - March 15th, 2006 at 10:24 AM
We live in Temple, PA and our trash days are Tuesday and Friday
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Just talkin trash! - March 15th, 2006 at 10:25 AM
My name is Cindy.
I'm a Trashaholic.

...on Wednesday...London, Kentucky!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Just talkin trash! - March 15th, 2006 at 10:26 AM
Wednesday trash day here!!!! Only 5 bags are allowed or we get tarred and feathered.... shk laugh
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Just talkin trash! - March 15th, 2006 at 10:28 AM
Originally posted by loz:
Only 5 bags are allowed or we get tarred and feathered.... shk laugh
I'm lucky to put out one .50 cent bag (13 gallon) every week..
Mother and I share putting it out, we don't put out much between composting and recycling and stuff..
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Just talkin trash! - March 15th, 2006 at 10:30 AM
Wednesday trash day here!!!! Only 5 bags are allowed or we get tarred and feathered.... shk laugh
Only 5 bags?? We pushed and covered over 1000 tons one day!!

Man that was one long day!!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Just talkin trash! - March 15th, 2006 at 10:32 AM
There never used to be a limit until a few months ago....but I love the spring cleanup day where they come and take all your old junk away!

We always have a lot of trash...I like to shop, and that means boxes, and containers, and wrappers, and styrofoam and stuff... :rolleyes:
Posted By: MissJamie Re: Just talkin trash! - March 15th, 2006 at 10:33 AM
I live in the boonies of Madison Heights,Virginia and we have a dumpster down the road...so trash day is anyday for us laugh
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Just talkin trash! - March 15th, 2006 at 10:34 AM
Originally posted by weezie13:
recycling and stuff..
My mother wasn't to happy with me working at a landfill, until I started bring her some "recycled stuff".

You would be amazed at what people throw out!!!
Posted By: jonni13 Re: Just talkin trash! - March 15th, 2006 at 10:36 AM
I'm in the county of San Bernardino, Ca. where LA sends their trash. Our pick up is on Tuesdays
Posted By: MissJamie Re: Just talkin trash! - March 15th, 2006 at 10:36 AM
that's why I love going dumpster diving laugh laugh
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Just talkin trash! - March 15th, 2006 at 10:36 AM
There never used to be a limit until a few months ago....but I love the spring cleanup day where they come and take all your old junk away!

We always have a lot of trash...I like to shop, and that means boxes, and containers, and wrappers, and styrofoam and stuff... :rolleyes:
When you figure the cost to dig the pit, install the liner and water collection system. You begin to understand why landfills place limits.
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Just talkin trash! - March 15th, 2006 at 10:44 AM
Tuesdays and Fridays here in NY.

Recycling day is Wednesday - different bins for paper, and glass/plastic products.
Posted By: FlowerNewbie Re: Just talkin trash! - March 15th, 2006 at 10:52 AM
different bins for paper, and glass/plastic products.
We used to have that - they give you the pins and they were blue and yellow... i think

and I also has 2 trash days - now I only have one ters which means those dirty diapers and such sit out on my balcony until fridays (god knows they cant's stay in the house for a week)... how what was the quiz - ghetto fabulous of me! I'm close to the boston, ma area...
Posted By: FlowerNewbie Re: Just talkin trash! - March 15th, 2006 at 10:53 AM
by the way i'm in the city so I don't have an outside really to speak of - that's why the balcony
Posted By: JV Re: Just talkin trash! - March 15th, 2006 at 04:09 PM
The trash people come around Monday and Thursday but I keep turning them down I don't need anymore trash I have more then enough. I do my own recycling.
Jimmy
Posted By: Patty S Re: Just talkin trash! - March 15th, 2006 at 04:36 PM
Jimmy! laugh laugh
Posted By: princessazlea Re: Just talkin trash! - March 15th, 2006 at 08:13 PM
Trash day on a Thursday

Recycling once a month
Blue bin Paper
Brown bin Glass
Cans in a plastic bag
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Just talkin trash! - March 15th, 2006 at 09:31 PM
i live in collingwood, ontario and our trash day is wednesdays and are only allowed 2 bags a week or buy red tags at $3.00 a pop to put out extra bags or they dont take them
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Just talkin trash! - March 15th, 2006 at 09:43 PM
Now every spring we have a free dump day in town, man I loaded them up last year!!

Have a few more loads this year already.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Just talkin trash! - March 15th, 2006 at 09:44 PM
Ours are .50 cents for 13 gallons,
and $1.00 for 30 gallons....
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Just talkin trash! - March 15th, 2006 at 10:10 PM
2 of my neighbors have dumpters I can use if I need too.

I know trash is a big business any more.
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Just talkin trash! - March 15th, 2006 at 10:12 PM
same with us, we have a bin at work that i bring the extra bag to instead of buying the tags, but we have to keep it locked or other people will use it, we find garbage in our steel scrap bin, which is annoying :p
Posted By: BeckyB Re: Just talkin trash! - March 15th, 2006 at 10:33 PM
My mother wasn't to happy with me working at a landfill, until I started bring her some "recycled stuff".

My ex-hubby used to work on a trash truck and he was always bringing home "recycled" things, obviously in good shape and not mixed in with the gross trash.
frown frown

I love spring and summer cuz that's when people do their spring cleaning and put their unwanted things my the road.
grinnnn
I don't dig through the trash though!
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Just talkin trash! - March 15th, 2006 at 10:41 PM
Originally posted by penny in ontario:
same with us, we have a bin at work that i bring the extra bag to instead of buying the tags, but we have to keep it locked or other people will use it, we find garbage in our steel scrap bin, which is annoying :p
When we started charging to dump tires, people would drive out of the gate across the road and dump their tires. We counted over 50 in the first mile section.

They would also find construction sites and throw tires in the bins, or put them in trash bags in the dumpters.

We even had to start locking the back gate to keep them out.

Tires were a real problem.
Posted By: FlowerNewbie Re: Just talkin trash! - March 15th, 2006 at 10:43 PM
SOme of the best pieces I have in my home are from the side of the road... I'm amazed at the stuff people throw out... I found the antique end table once then when I went to California I found the EXACT table at an antique dealers for $300!
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Just talkin trash! - March 15th, 2006 at 10:43 PM
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="COMIC SANS MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="3" face="COMIC SANS MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by BeckyB:
<strong>My ex-hubby used to work on a trash truck and he was always bringing home "recycled" things, obviously in good shape and not mixed in with the gross trash.
frown frown

thumbup
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Just talkin trash! - March 15th, 2006 at 10:44 PM
We have special place we can go to,
and it takes a certain amount of certain things,
like 4 tires per visit, oil, refrigeraters, etc.

And another one that's totally seperate, it's a sign up only basis', but you can bring like old paint, and things that the recycling' one's don't take...
Posted By: BeckyB Re: Just talkin trash! - March 15th, 2006 at 10:48 PM
Oh wow Danae!
That was a very good find!
thumbup

It really p***** me off when people dump their trash on the side of the road so they don't have to pay for it!
mad mad

They could at least take it to a dumpster some where and dump it there when no one is around.

I'm not talking about tires though! I always pay extra cost when I get new tires for them to dispose of the old ones. It doesn't cost that much, and I just figure that into the cost of the new tires.
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Just talkin trash! - March 15th, 2006 at 11:04 PM
Tires can be buried, but you have to bury them deep and throw some trash on top of them.

If they are buried shallow, every time you drive over them, they will 'jack' themselves out of the ground.

We got tired of having to dig them up and setup a tire recycle site.
Posted By: BeckyB Re: Just talkin trash! - March 15th, 2006 at 11:17 PM
It also makes me mad when people throw bags and bags of good clothes away.

Why not put them on Freecycle or take them to the homeless shelter or salvation army????
nutz nutz nutz
Posted By: Fernie Re: Just talkin trash! - March 15th, 2006 at 11:46 PM
My husband worked for a construction company that goes over this time of year every year and builds cells for a gigantic landfil that takes garbage from Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Japan. The cell he worked on last year was 3 miles long and about 1/4 mile wide. They would dig down to a certain level in the sub soil, lay several feet of rock and then put huge rubber mats over the rock and then more rock and then soil before the garbage could be put in the cell. They built several of those and they are all full and the company is over there building this year's cells. Lucky my husband doesn't work for them anymore. The methane gas was something else let me tell you! They had an elecric plant powered by the methane and still vented some of it off as there was too much to use.

I live in Idaho and my garbage day is Wednesday mornings about 5 a.m.
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Just talkin trash! - March 15th, 2006 at 11:49 PM
There is something that is worse than tires, and that's bedsprings!!

You can't smash'em down, they get wrapped up in the tracks on the bulldozer, and wrapped around the drive shaft on the trash trucks. We had a set of bedsprings destroy a driveshaft in a trash truck once. You have to use a cutting torch to cut them out.
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Just talkin trash! - March 15th, 2006 at 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Fernie:
My husband worked for a construction company that goes over this time of year every year and builds cells for a gigantic landfil that takes garbage from Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Japan. The cell he worked on last year was 3 miles long and about 1/4 mile wide. They would dig down to a certain level in the sub soil, lay several feet of rock and then put huge rubber mats over the rock and then more rock and then soil before the garbage could be put in the cell. They built several of those and they are all full and the company is over there building this year's cells. Lucky my husband doesn't work for them anymore. The methane gas was something else let me tell you! They had an elecric plant powered by the methane and still vented some of it off as there was too much to use.

I live in Idaho and my garbage day is Wednesday mornings about 5 a.m.
The first pit we dug covered about 7 acres. We went down 35 feet layed down 2 feet of clean clay, a plastic liner, a layer of felt, installed a large system of pipes to collect the water, 3 feet of rock, a second layer of felt, and about 3 foot of uncompacted trash.

We sent several Million Dollars before we even covered the first bag of trash!!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Just talkin trash! - March 15th, 2006 at 11:55 PM
Ours here, is trying to get a greenhouse
heated by the methane gas...
but I guess, it's quite $$$$ to get it up
and running, *or it's melarky and they just use that as an excuse* but I tell you, if I won the
LOTTERY, that is one of the first things I'd look into...is operating a greenhouse from that gas/heat..

(that and those big solar wind machines, I love them)

But I agree, people throw away toooo many things, "it's a throw away society",
I've said that before, and I'll continue to say it..
They don't want to clean it, they throw it away,
it's got a dent in it, they throw it away...
It does make me sick to see some of things they throw away..
Posted By: Fernie Re: Just talkin trash! - March 16th, 2006 at 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Amigatec:
]
The first pit we dug covered about 7 acres. We went down 35 feet layed down 2 feet of clean clay, a plastic liner, a layer of felt, installed a large system of pipes to collect the water, 3 feet of rock, a second layer of felt, and about 3 foot of uncompacted trash.

We sent several Million Dollars before we even covered the first bag of trash!! [/QUOTE]

I forgot about the thick felt pads....those also. I was just amazed at how complicated it is to create a landfill cell.

Yep gotta be a use for all that methane..... grinnnn
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Just talkin trash! - March 16th, 2006 at 12:30 AM
I live in an area, that is the second highest peak in Western NY... the other day, driving down
one of the roads, I can see the huge landfill we have here locally, and it's d@mn near giving that second highest peak in Western NY a RUN FOR IT'S MONEY IN HEIGHTH!!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Just talkin trash! - March 16th, 2006 at 12:35 AM
So is the landfill here Weezie, and we're surrounded by mountains.... laugh laugh laugh

I forgot to add I do recycle as much as possible....I save my cans for a neighbor, as do many of the neighbors...he has a huge mountain of trash bags full of cans...he takes them in for money. And most of our paper stuff gets burned out at my in laws house. Duh
Posted By: tamara Re: Just talkin trash! - March 16th, 2006 at 12:44 AM
Well until two weeks ago it was Monday now it's Wednesday. I forgot about it today. We can put out 5 bags of garbage, we usually only have one.

About 3 miles from here is a large recycling box for cans, bottles and paper. Twice a year we have a special pick up for appliances. Tires are dropped off at our gas station. We pay a recycling fee on new tires for them to do this.

We pay a 10 cent deposit on cans, bottles and juice boxes and get 5 cents back when they are dropped off at the recycle centre.

If I was smarter there'd be no garbage because pretty much everything can be recycled. We pay for our garbage pick up through our land tax fees.
Posted By: BeckyB Re: Just talkin trash! - March 16th, 2006 at 01:50 AM
Weezie, I agree that we live in a disposable society.
I do use disposable diapers and I'm bad about using paper plates and plastic cutlery.
But I draw the line at the disposable dish clothes, wash clothes, toilet scrubbers (although I would use the Scrubbing Bubbles ones cuz they can be flushed) bathroom cleaners, surface cleaners, litter boxes, etc...
I try to recycle as much as possible, but they are so picky up here about what they will and will not recycle. It's just paper goods, #2 plastic, glass and tin cans.
I know up here too some of the trash does get burned, but not enough.
Someone could make a fortune by inventing a way to turn trash into energy or fuel...
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Just talkin trash! - March 16th, 2006 at 03:45 AM
We tried recycling at the landfill I worked, but the problem is there is more trash than you can recycle.

Glass comes in 3 colors and they wanted sorted by color and labels, and caps removed, and we had to provide the containers for it.

Plastic is the same way some bottle like squeeze ketchup bottle or green bottles won't excepted and we were the one that had to sort it.

It was costing us more to sort the stuff and what is was worth, so we quit doing it.

About the only thing we could use was tires, they can be burned for power.
Posted By: Triss Re: Just talkin trash! - March 16th, 2006 at 04:05 AM
Garbage day is Wednesday here in Washington.
Posted By: barleychown Re: Just talkin trash! - March 16th, 2006 at 08:54 AM
Tuesday for me.
Posted By: Thornius Re: Just talkin trash! - March 16th, 2006 at 09:11 AM
My trash day is Wednesday also.
Posted By: melcon6 Re: Just talkin trash! - March 16th, 2006 at 12:07 PM
My trash day is Wednesday also.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]