A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Handbright gardening by the moon? - March 9th, 2006 at 11:21 PM
When I introduced myself here the other day I mentioned I do lunar planning for my garden, using the moon phases as a reference point in terms of how I plan my garden work.
I also use astrology to help me assign chores for my garden.
As the moon moves through the zodiac, it aspects different sun signs.
So anyway, today the moon is in cancer, and it is considered a wet and wonderful day to plant anything that will grow above ground...like flowers and vegtables.
I could talk forever about this but I will stop now in case anyone who is here wants to know more about something specific, and i dont sound like I'm just lecturing!
teech
Posted By: Handbright Re: gardening by the moon? - March 9th, 2006 at 11:31 PM
One other thing! Because the moon is in cancer (it's ruler) and cancer is the sign that rules the 4th house of home and family,
this is a great day to start seedlings, or groom your herbs, or make an apron. (if your snowed in, or the ground is still too frozen and cant plant!)
This is the sign of the nurturer...the hearth and home is found centered in the fourth house. The moon here today is really nice for all things domestic.
Posted By: Bestofour Re: gardening by the moon? - March 10th, 2006 at 08:33 AM
Isn't it too cold to plant "anything that will grow above ground".
Posted By: Handbright Re: gardening by the moon? - March 10th, 2006 at 05:15 PM
It sure is in a lot of places! The second message I posted was about that smile
(I should have written a "garden apron" instead!)
smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: gardening by the moon? - March 10th, 2006 at 08:41 PM
I've always heard that the closer you plant to a full moon the better your plants will grow. It makes sense that if the moon affects animals,tides,people and other forces on this planet,that it would also affect growth/health of plants.

I planted all of my veggies yesterday and put in coleus and impatiens thumbup

If a full moon is a good time to plant,is it also a good time to transplant?
Posted By: Handbright Re: gardening by the moon? - March 11th, 2006 at 09:12 PM
Yes it is a good time to transplant! When the moon is full we have what are known as spring tides. The gravity from the sun and the gravity from the moon conspire to draw the ground water closer to the surface and if you live anywhere where the soil is sandy thats a very good thing. smile
New moons are good too as the moon and the sun are aligned and the same gravitational pull is present, drawing moisture and nutrients closer to the surface of the soil. This kind of gardening is really making a comeback right now for a variety of reasons. I find it alot of fun, and it keeps me organised with my garden chores. Our next full moon is the 14th, and its an eclipse.
There is a lot of information on line about lunar gardening right now. Everyday I see more and more websites!
How are things up in New York?
I grew up in Buffalo...Go Bills!!!!
grinnnn
Posted By: weezie13 Re: gardening by the moon? - March 11th, 2006 at 09:21 PM
Well, you better be stopping be stopping by here,
and helping me plant by the moon..
I am lucky to get my seeds started before the middle of the summer.. shocked wink wink laugh Duh

Although, I have been known to be out in the garden with a flashlight until 2:00 in the morning picking cucumber beetles off,
does that count as gardening by the moon??? wink thumbup
Posted By: weezie13 Re: gardening by the moon? - March 11th, 2006 at 09:23 PM
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="COMIC SANS MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="3" face="COMIC SANS MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Handbright:
<strong> I could talk forever about this but I will stop now in case anyone who is here wants to know more about something specific, and i dont sound like I'm just lecturing!
kissies flw cool
Posted By: BeckyB Re: gardening by the moon? - March 12th, 2006 at 02:16 AM
Wow, this a really interesting topic.
Keep the info coming and the moon forecasts too.
Posted By: Handbright Re: gardening by the moon? - March 12th, 2006 at 08:22 PM
Okay! Heres some more... wavey
Posted By: weezie13 Re: gardening by the moon? - March 12th, 2006 at 10:06 PM
It is going into Virgo, which is considered to be:
" Barren and moist.
That sounds kinda kinky.. shocked wink laugh

Virgos are known for their sense of humor, and their organizational skills.
Wellllllllll, one outta two ain't bad... wink wink laugh laugh

And yes Wheezie- its a great time to check for vermin!
You mean rodents or critters??

My daughter is a virgo, and a potter by trade, and this moon would be good for her to take inventory of her clay and glazes, and to clean her studio.
Is she reading this and does she take hints well??? wink

I really need to find out the info for when it's on the cusp of a Libra moon.....

This is very neat stuff....
Now if the weather would only co~operate for us Northerner's...
Posted By: Handbright Re: gardening by the moon? - March 12th, 2006 at 10:51 PM
*****CORRECTION*****Okay! Our next libra moon will be~~~~
ta da: (because I misread the glyph!!!!!!!)

March 15th. Thats Wednesday. [The aquarian glyph (symbol) looks alot like the Libra glyph.] So March 15, 2006 the moon will move from Virgo to Libra, where it will spend over 48 hours helping all things libra...
My eyes aren't that great...especially today.
(The aquarian glyph looks like two wavy lines, one on top of the other, and the libra glyph looks like a straight line with a bumpy line over it. I just got dsl, and all the old files I have are now in a smaller text.)
I am not very good at computers at all, and this is making me more than a little nuts...please forgive the mistakes.

There will be a FULL moon in Libra on April 13th. This is the ONLY full moon in Libra this year. The cusp of this FULL moon will begin around 2:00 PM on April12th.

The next "regular" old Libra moon is this coming up Wednesday, March 15, 2006.
sorry.

I'm more than a little distracted today. This is my last day with my beloved dog. I apologise...
Posted By: weezie13 Re: gardening by the moon? - March 12th, 2006 at 11:06 PM
I'm more than a little distracted today. This is my last day with my beloved dog. I apologise...
Do notttttttttt apologise for that...
Please, go spend time with your puppy..
We have several members who are animal lovers,
they will definately KNOW what you are going thru!!!
Posted By: Handbright Re: gardening by the moon? - March 21st, 2006 at 11:11 PM
Hi Folks...
Been feeling kind of down due to the dog, but each day is a little better. The eclipse on March 14th in the full moon in virgo was supposed to be about endings. This was a very big one for me. (Thank you Wheezie for your kind words)
So anyway, today the moon is in Saggitarius. Saggitarius is considered to be a dry moon, and this one is happening in the fourth quarter of the moon phases.
"Saggittarius- A fire sign. Barren and dry. Harvest roots and onions for storage, and plant onion sets and fruit trees. A good sign in which to cultivate the soil"
also:

"In the fourth quarter there is decreased gravitational pull and moonlight, and it is considered a resting period. This is also the best time to cultivate, harvest, transplant and prune. Mow lawns in the third or fourth quarter to retard growth."

Using this moon time, I have gone down to my local starbucks to get their coffee grounds to till into my alkaline soil. (I'm zone 10 b.) While the pH of coffee grounds is really not all that acidic, it still helps to buffer my soil and for my acid loving plants I give them weak coffee, (like a cup of coffee in two quart of water.) My gardenia seems to love it!

So I am using this "disseminating moon" to improve my soil and weed.
During this moon phase it is easy to see the moon in the sky in the morning, a soft scoop of white in the sky. Today the Moonset is at 10:25 AM est.
smile
Posted By: weezie13 Re: gardening by the moon? - March 22nd, 2006 at 11:14 AM
Anytime Handbright, I was wondering about you...
and how you've been doing...
Posted By: Handbright Re: gardening by the moon? - March 22nd, 2006 at 08:45 PM
Thanks Weezie. I posted down in the critter corner as you suggested. It made me feel good to honor him in that way.
I'm doing okay, some days are better than others...
So I'm using my garden as grief therapy...pouring all this energy into the plants. Someone once told me that our plants love ANY kind of energy, and will heal and calm us if we just let ourselves fall into the rhythm of their cycles. smile
Being here in Florida makes it convenient to garden at will, but I sure do miss the anticipation of each of the seasons that you enjoy up there.
In fact I've been looking around up there for something small with a pretty yard to use when our summers here begin to get us down...
I do miss the fall and spring. And the winter and the summer too come to think of it!
call me nutz , but I really do...
Posted By: Carly Re: gardening by the moon? - March 23rd, 2006 at 08:06 AM
Ohhhhh! A wonderful idea - don't know if it works, but I like it.

Whenever I'm caught out there working in the dark, Jeff and the other tenants say 'CARLY! Time to quit!'
Posted By: weezie13 Re: gardening by the moon? - March 24th, 2006 at 07:34 AM
When I'm out pickin' bugs,
I can hear my husband and boys standing at the
back door, and my husband goes, to them....
"Where's your mother?" :rolleyes:
"She's out there in the dark, see the flash light!!"
"giggle~giggle..."

I can just HEAR his :rolleyes:
Posted By: Eco Re: gardening by the moon? - March 25th, 2006 at 02:19 AM
This thread has "blessed be" written all over it, very interresting.
Posted By: Handbright Re: gardening by the moon? - April 1st, 2006 at 06:16 PM
Hi ladies and gents! It is absolutely beautiul today here in Florida, still mild enough that the pansies arent drooping exhausted with heat stroke, and the herbs are still bushy and green...
Today the moon is in Taurus, the astrological sign considered to be the "gardeners" of the zodiac. This is considered to be the second best astrological moon sign to plant or transplant in, and since the moon is in its "new" phase its an extra bonus. (The best sign is Cancer and the new moon in Cancer occures June 25th this year.)
I know its still pretty cold where a lot of you all live, but this info can be adapted to what your particular gardening plans allow.
(and yes, Echo, it does have a hint of blessed be... cool , but I really like the science part the best!
Have a wonderful productive happy day everyone!
Posted By: Bestofour Re: gardening by the moon? - April 4th, 2006 at 08:07 AM
This post is so cool.

"Gardeners of the zodiac" makes perfectly good sense to me since I AM a zodiac.
Posted By: Handbright Re: gardening by the moon? - April 5th, 2006 at 02:08 AM
LOL Bestofour! Today the moon is in cancer- the very best sign for anything in the garden...the moon is waxing- thats good- and so this is a great time to do seedling transplants,hardening off, just about anything but weeding- LOL! (at least thats what they say!)
I am so sorry i havnt been able to post here, my computer has gone cattywompus. I have a mac, and my browser is safari, and there are all kinds of problems!
I'm sure that eventually all will work out! Hope everyone has a happy day!
HB
smile
Posted By: Bestofour Re: gardening by the moon? - April 6th, 2006 at 07:10 AM
HB, I meant to say I'm a Taurus. Hope you're back on soon.
Posted By: Handbright Re: gardening by the moon? - April 7th, 2006 at 06:02 PM
Hi everyone...My browser is working this morning! Actually, by having it go on strike, I got a lot done in this little garden of mine. I found some really pretty very large moss baskets at target, and filled 15 of them...(got to make hay while the sun shines not too HOT down here.) I love old fashioned flowers, and its too hot in the summer for them here. In order to have them hanging around my patio, I need to get a very early start, because by the end of may they are all back far away from the house, under oaks.
Anyway today the moon is in Leo, where it will stay until Sunday morning, when it will move into virgo. Its a fire sign so its dry and barren. Anything you have to do today that destroys weeds, or cultivates your soil is favored by this moon...The zodiac part of this is that Leo is considered the actor of the zodiac, expansive and engaging, and loves to be in the spotlight!
Also, because this moon is in Leo waxing (getting closer to a full moon time wise) its a great moon to prune, because it encourages bushy healthy growth. This is all folklore, of course, but it does help to organize garden chores, and for that I need all the help I can get!
OH! and I went to your pictures bestofour- your taurus is definitely showing! (in those gorgeous azaleas- and those gorgeous children too!)
Hmm wonder what your ascendant is????
lol!
Hope everyone has a simply wonderful friday!
smile
HB
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: gardening by the moon? - April 7th, 2006 at 09:42 PM
wavey Hi HB,

i have been reading your posts and they are very interesting to read, thanks for the tips!!! thumbup
Posted By: Bestofour Re: gardening by the moon? - April 8th, 2006 at 08:41 AM
I was born at 9:32 on a Friday. Can you tell me what my ascendant sign is?
Posted By: suzydaze Re: gardening by the moon? - April 8th, 2006 at 10:03 AM
I think I missed something some where
Posted By: Handbright Re: gardening by the moon? - April 8th, 2006 at 06:15 PM
Hi everyone!
This kind of gardening actually dates back to ancient times, when artificial light and daylight savings time had yet to be invented... smile
Most of this information can be found in the old farmers almanac, Ben Franklin also used this info when he published his paper in Philadelphia.
Farmers have been doing it for thousands of years.
The premise is pretty simple. Each "lunar" month the moon "aspects" different constellations in the sky. The ancient people knew this, because they lived by the seasons, and by the night sky. It was the rhythm of the earth. Aristotle added his 2 cents, and a whole way of thinking was born. smile The church came along and said, "well we think this Aristotle was pretty smart, so we're going with him, the earth is the center of the universe for sure!"
When Copernicus came along and finally figured out that the earth revolves around the sun instead of vice-versa, he was called a lunatic by the Catholic church, and quietly withdrew his idea from the public eye and went to live somewhere where they wouldn't kill him for heresy. Later Galileo had a few insights of his own and finally convinced the church that his discovery was correct. Even he had a hard time though, and was forced to recant, because the way people lived back then was as if the earth were the center of the universe. (just like some PEOPLE I know--ha!) Even most medicine was practiced by casting charts for infants. It was considered "scientific". But no more! It was too late, the cat was out of the bag; the earth circled the sun.
Anyway- back to the gardening part...
So, as a result of all this new scientific thinking, this "moon and astrology" kind of gardening was relegated to the old hedge witch tradition, and considered first to be evil and then later superstitious and silly. Now, however, scientists are discovering there might be some basic truths to the whole thing.
The astrophysics of today, when compared against the old belief system, is proving that this is a quick and easy method to organise gardens and crops, and to use to just plain grow things! With the ability to measure electromagnetic fields some scientists are proving that the moons gravitational pull on earth affects the water table and availability of micro nutrients in the soil.
The rest of it is just kind of plain old common sense, applying the old zodiacal signs to the garden.
It's not just the zodiac either, as the Native Americans had names for all these different moons, try: http://www.space.com/spacewatch/full_moon_names_2005.html
For instance, the moon is always "New" in Taurus when the sun is in Taurus. This always happens in April or May of a year, any year. (Remember our calendar is man made, the heavens are not, so the new moon is never going to be at the exact same time.) So, the moon is new, meaning it is pulling up the water in the earth, and the soil is warming up, because its late April or very early May, and so its a great time to plant something that needs to be put in the ground for harvest in the fall.
This is long winded, and sounds way too teech , but I thought it might help to clear up what it is that i love to do, and why i do it. smile
May you all have a bountiful, peaceful, happy day!
HB
Posted By: weezie13 Re: gardening by the moon? - April 8th, 2006 at 06:52 PM
This is long winded, and sounds way too , but I thought it might help to clear up what it is that i love to do, and why i do it.
NOT AT ALLLLLLLLLLL!!!
We cool this info teech
It's very informative and fun!!!
Posted By: Handbright Re: gardening by the moon? - April 8th, 2006 at 07:57 PM
It <is> fun! I like the rhthm and the "old fashioned" part of it, along with the kind of peace that comes to me when I garden and use our Creators time clock, not mans.
Thanks for the encouragement weezie! Now out to water!!!!! Were in a drought here, very weird for Florida, and our natives are not happy...and neither is my pocketbook from the water bill. ARGH! (I should thank goodness that I dont have to haul the water from a well, like they did in the "good old days" though!)
Love and Blessings!!!!! and a snoopy dance smile
HB
Posted By: Bestofour Re: gardening by the moon? - April 9th, 2006 at 02:35 AM
This fascinates me.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]