A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Curious Nick Crushed Egg Shells? - June 20th, 2006 at 04:05 AM
I was out walking my dog this morning. I came to this one yard that had planters. In the planter looked like Black Eyed Susans, but what was strange was that they looked to have a layer of crushed egg shells surrounding them.

Anyone ever heard of this? Is this decoration? Compost?

Thanks

NJ
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Crushed Egg Shells? - June 20th, 2006 at 04:11 AM
Nick - often people put crushed egg shells around their plants to discourage slugs from destroying them. They slide along the sharp edges and it tears them!
Posted By: Curious Nick Re: Crushed Egg Shells? - June 20th, 2006 at 04:24 AM
OH! Thank you Plants...I learn something new everyday..LOL
Posted By: Tonya Re: Crushed Egg Shells? - June 20th, 2006 at 06:10 AM
I wish I had known this sooner...We had a SERIOUS slug problem last year! Thanks, Lynne!
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Crushed Egg Shells? - June 20th, 2006 at 08:20 AM
It also adds calcium to the soil so I powder some to add to the tomatoe beds to control blossom end rot.
Posted By: Michael15r Re: Crushed Egg Shells? - June 24th, 2006 at 10:31 AM
TK, I was going to say that, but when I read your post at the bottom I was like too late...

I have lots of crush eggs shells, haven't laid it anywhere though. Could I lay this around a Norfolk Pine Tree?? Any Help would be appreciated Thanks!
Posted By: patches1414 Re: Crushed Egg Shells? - June 24th, 2006 at 07:26 PM
I've used crushed egg shells for years around my Hosta plants and it definitely keeps the slugs from eating holes in them. kit
Posted By: princessazlea Re: Crushed Egg Shells? - June 24th, 2006 at 08:44 PM
Curious Nick, I will be using crushed egg shells to my compost bin as well. thumbup
Posted By: patches1414 Re: Crushed Egg Shells? - June 25th, 2006 at 10:22 AM
Crushed egg shell are also good to put in your worm bin, so put themin there too! wink
Posted By: JV Re: Crushed Egg Shells? - June 27th, 2006 at 11:21 AM
Diane has a recipe for egg water fertilizer made with egg shells. Works great on my Cactus and flowers so far. Waiting to see about long term effect.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]