A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Merme MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 04:47 AM
Hi everyone ~

Today I am learning to use my scanner and upload old photos, and I will post as I get the hang of it. Here is the first effort:

[Linked Image]

September, 1961 Merme's First Day of School with a quilt for nap time made for me by my Aunt Marion.

If the sizing isn't correct, please, someone, jump in and help!

Merme
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 04:49 AM
Merme - I just turned my computer on, and this was the first thing I saw!!!

What a precious picture of our wonderful Merme!
I was going to ask if that was your blankie!
You look JUST LIKE MAXI there! WOW!!!

Can't wait to see more - bring 'em on!
Posted By: Tonya Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 04:52 AM
Wonderful pic Merme!! Nice to know we can now have pictures to accompany your lovely stories! clp clp
Posted By: Merme Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 04:56 AM
[Linked Image]

Maxi, 10 days old, with his Papa
Posted By: Merme Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 05:01 AM
[Linked Image]

Close Up of Maxi at 10 days old in Papa's arms
Posted By: Tonya Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 05:03 AM
Gosh! he reminds me of Summer when she was a baby!! Amazing how fast they grow, huh!! What a fine boy! He was 3lb 5oz, just like Summer, right?
Posted By: Merme Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 05:05 AM
[Linked Image]

Maxi with his Mama
Posted By: Merme Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 05:09 AM
[Linked Image]

Maxi, ticked off at Mama after his first all-over bath and shampoo. Three weeks old.
Posted By: Tonya Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 05:12 AM
Whoa!! shk That boy has some hair!!! laugh laugh

Nice to "meet" you Merme!!
Posted By: Merme Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 05:17 AM
[Linked Image]

Maxi with Wildwood Flower, 4 weeks old, a big 5 pounder of a boy finally ready to leave the hospital.
Posted By: Merme Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 05:30 AM
[Linked Image]

Merme & Maxi going out into the snow for the first time!

[Linked Image]

And yes, behind that binky, under all those blankies, was Maxi!

Could I possibly have wrapped him any further?!
Posted By: angelblossom Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 05:32 AM
Oh Wow Merme these pictures are awesome!!!!!

Don't stop now!!!>>>>>> keep em coming!!!!!!
Posted By: Merme Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 05:33 AM
Does anyone know why these photos are coming out so much darker than they are in real life? They look okay in Adobe photshop and in Photobucket.

In the one of me & Maxi in the snow you should be able to see my face just fine and the red trim of my big hood.

Merme
Posted By: Tonya Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 05:36 AM
I can see your face and the trim of your hood Duh
Posted By: Merme Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 05:39 AM
[Linked Image]

Maxi in yellow, a few months old, posed to show off the beautiful handpainted quilt friends had sent from Amish Country. It became his favorite blankie.

[Linked Image]

Maxi in his moose slippers, resting on Papa after a long day around Thanksgiving, 1995
Posted By: angelblossom Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 05:41 AM
Me too I can see you just fine Maybe adjust image on manuel before going to photobucket if you want it lighter Duh
Posted By: Merme Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 05:45 AM
[Linked Image]

The Tired Men on Thanksgiving Day 1995
Posted By: Merme Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 05:54 AM
[Linked Image]

Maxi and Papa on Christmas Day, Maxi wearing his Christmas Micky Mouse Suit.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: angelblossom Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 05:57 AM
Awwwwwwwww How sweet Merme!!! Wow Maxi Sure has a full head of hair!!! thumbup grinnnn
Posted By: Merme Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 06:05 AM
[Linked Image]

Mama trying to wake up a sleepy Maxi to wish him Happy New Year!

[Linked Image]

And trying...

[Linked Image]

Mean Mama, chuckling at her baby who did NOT want to wish anybody Happy New Year.
Posted By: Merme Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 06:14 AM
My family loves this photo. Maxi and I were playing in the rocker when Edward pointed the camera at us and called our names. We both turned toward him, making the same face!!

[Linked Image]

Maxi in his bunny suit.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Nana's11 Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 06:17 AM
Merme,
Love the pics of you and Maxi.... he was so little... like the twins- they are bigger than Nicoli now...
Looks like you are having a ball with your scanner and new puter-- fun isn't it?
Have fun and keep them coming!
Nana
Posted By: Merme Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 06:20 AM
[Linked Image]

Merme and Maxi, about 5 months old
Posted By: Merme Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 06:32 AM
[Linked Image]

April 1996, Maxi with his beloved Cousin Cara.

[Linked Image]

Cousin Cara, the athlete, giving Maxi lessons in Sitting Up Alone
Posted By: Triss Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 06:34 AM
Oh I am loving all of these pics!!! So glad you can share them with us now.
Posted By: Merme Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 06:38 AM
[Linked Image]

On'ry "Aunt" Missy up in the treehouse with her boys and my baby.

Although Missy is actually Maxi's cousin, she is so much older, she was already married with children of her own before he was born, so he calls her Aunt respectfully.
Posted By: Merme Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 07:04 AM
A Day At The Beach, August 1996, Maxi 10 months old.

[Linked Image]

First Swimming Lesson with Papa and Randy

[Linked Image]

Checking Out The View From Higher Up In The World

[Linked Image]

The sleepy end to a wonderful day of fun in the sand and the surf.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Merme Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 07:06 AM
With Mama, ready to head for home.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: angelblossom Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 07:09 AM
Oh this is fun Merme!!! Keep em coming!!!
Posted By: Merme Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 07:26 AM
[Linked Image]

Maxi, 11 months old, practicing with Mama's birthday cake, 'coz he is Next!

[Linked Image]

THE BIRTHDAY BOY! on Aunt Nancy's (wildwood flower) lap.

[Linked Image]

The Birthday Kid with Mama
Posted By: badplanter Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 07:27 AM
Great pics Merme! laugh thumbup
Posted By: Bestofour Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 07:39 AM
Nice to finally see you guys.
Posted By: Merme Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 07:57 AM
Playing with the clothes from the laundry basket...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Merme Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 08:02 AM
[Linked Image]

I think these were mislabeled. I think they were his first birthday back at home after our trip to PA because I remember getting him the things in the photos for his birthday that year at Filene's October Sale. Plus, the tree isn't up.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Merme Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 08:08 AM
[Linked Image]

Trying on Papa's Leathers at 16 months old.

[Linked Image]

Papa taking the boy on a sliegh ride.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 08:33 AM
Cool pictures Merme! Is Maxi getting a kick out of this blast from the past?
Posted By: Merme Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 08:39 AM
[Linked Image]
Christmas Eve in his "tux".

[Linked Image]

Max being on'ry, checking to see if Mama is noticing.

[Linked Image]

Christmas is LOTS of fun for a kid who can really walk!
Posted By: Merme Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 08:51 AM
[Linked Image]

Merme & Maxi enjoying the warm, snowy day.

[Linked Image]

Merme & Maxi in the kitchen 'coz it was too cold to go out to play!
Posted By: Merme Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 08:54 AM
[Linked Image]

Baby In A Box! Now isn't THAT a great way to get 'em?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Merme Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 08:55 AM
[Linked Image]

Stealing clothes from the laundry again. Geez, is nothing sacred?!
Posted By: Merme Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 08:58 AM
loz ~ Maxi is just tolerant of me, although he thinks I am being silly... he's too polite to comment.

Tonya ~ yes, Maxi had the same birth weight as Summer 3.5 pounds, although he quickly lost some.

We struggled to get every ounce on the kid for the first 4 years.

Merme
Posted By: angelblossom Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 08:59 AM
laugh laugh laugh Good one there Merme!!!!!, (last photo posted!!)
Posted By: Anonymous Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 09:52 AM
Maybe he thought it was a slingshot? laugh That a good picture to show his girlfriend/wife one day! wink thumbup
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 09:58 AM
Maybe he thought it was a slingshot?
laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: Anonymous Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 10:03 AM
Well I mean they're called boulder holders for a reason! laugh
Posted By: Tonya Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 11:20 AM
I have enjoyed looking at all these, Merme!! I am sooo looking forward to more pics and stories! So nice to put faces with the names!

We struggled to get Summer to gain also- The joys of parenting preemies! thumbup Now I am struggling to get Mack to gain! :p

Keep those pics coming! thumbup
Posted By: kennyso Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 11:21 AM
Maxi is sooooo cute!!! smile
Posted By: ksgardnr Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 02:01 PM
Love the pics Merme & you look JUST like I envisioned! I love the pic of Maxi in his Christmas tux, too cute. And the "boulder holder" pic is just hilarious! laugh
Posted By: chenno Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 02:07 PM
thumbup Such nice pics!Loved to see them:-)
Posted By: Merme Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 09:25 PM
For St. Patrick's Day I invented a little game and decorated the house cheerfully because that can be such a dreary time of year up here.

The wall art you'll see was made out of construction paper. The Leprochaun was just a stuffed doll I sewed out of fabric scraps. Using a clay pot I wrapped with twine and lined with green paper, I made a "pot of gold" with a few gold candy coins on top which was hidden at the end of the rainbow. It took his dad and I some sleight of hand to pull the game off, but Maxi enjoyed it so.

First, after dressing him in lots of green, I gathered up all his green toys I could find and put them in a pile, with the Leprochaun "hidden" on top for him to find.

[Linked Image]

And of course, he found it right away and was so proud, too!

[Linked Image]

... the story continues in the next post...
Posted By: Merme Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 09:30 PM
Playing back and forth between Papa

[Linked Image]

and I,

[Linked Image]

Maxi soon discovered that the Magical Leprochaun kept "disappearing" and "reappearing"...
Posted By: Merme Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 09:38 PM
Sometimes in very unlikely places...

[Linked Image]

Until, the silly Leprochaun led him to the pot o' gold!

[Linked Image]

Well, Maxi had never seen a pot o' gold in all his life before and didn't quite know what to think of it, but...
Posted By: Merme Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 09:47 PM
Papa soon helped him figure it out!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Which was a happy end to a very good story...

[Linked Image]

Merme
Posted By: princessazlea Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 09:50 PM
Thanks for sharing your pictures. I really enjoyed looking at them. I can't believe Maxi's hair what a cutie. grinnnn
Posted By: Merme Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 09:50 PM
What do you guys think of how I ended the rainbow by breaking it up into mult-colored shamrocks which turned into coins which fell into the pot o' gold?

Merme
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 09:57 PM
Merme...sending you instructions on how to re-size your pics in photobucket.
Posted By: Merme Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 10:03 PM
Thanks, afgrey!

I thought photobucket automatically resized things but now I see it does not!

Once I resize them in photobucket, will they appear correctly here?

Merme
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 10:08 PM
Once I resize them in photobucket, will they appear correctly here?
Yep...all the ones I've re-sized this morning were done in Photobucket.
I had never used the photobucket re-sizing feature til just now...just always did it in my photoprogram. But Photobucket was easier!
Posted By: Patty S Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 11th, 2006 at 11:49 PM
Merme, these pics are soooo kewl! [Linked Image] Scanners are fun, aren't they? I recently had to dust mine off & remember how it works so I could send Shelly baby pics of herself, cuz she wanted to compare them with Lil' Naomi's. Scanning more old pics is on my list of things to do this winter, to keep from going stark raving you-know-what, since the forum has changed so much since last winter & there doesn't seem to be much to help a person fight off the 'winter blues' now. frown (Actually I need to do it anyway, because so many of those old pics are losing quality with time & that's the only way I know to preserve them.)

I've enjoyed your pics so much & could probably have commented on each one as they were going up, but now they're all running together in my little brain! One thing that I remember clearly though, is the head of hair on that baby! kissies Thanks for sharing them! (Got more?) grinnnn

I've only had the PhotoBucket resizing feature work for me ONE time, & that was when I mistakenly resized something to avatar size... (had to delete it from PB, resize it on my own program & rename it before it would come up right!) I think it's easier to resize them in my puter (which also takes up less storage space on my HD... as does saving them as 200 dpi rather than the 96 dpi, that so many of them default as.)

Does anyone know why these photos are coming out so much darker than they are in real life? They look okay in Adobe photshop and in Photobucket.
Don't know "why", but unfortunately they just do, & some people's pics are so dark that if I really want to see a pic badly enough (Like Missy's ultrasound, for example, & more recently, Mel's worm egg) I've had to put it in my own system so I could lighten it for better viewing. I lighten 90% of my pics before sending them to PhotoBucket, & since I don't want them saved that way permanently (in case I want to print them later) I have a folder set aside for "PB Uploads" that I've lightened for the purpose of posting here on the forum.
Posted By: Merme Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 12th, 2006 at 03:12 AM
Patty ~ Maxi was called "she" constantly, even though I dressed him in very boyish clothes, even when his long hair was under a ski cap. When we finally took him to have his hair cut at age 7, a woman turned to me and asked

"Why are you letting your little girl have her hair cut so short?"

With some people, Patty, ya just can't win!

Later I'll post a few miscellaneous pictures from when he was older.

Merme
Posted By: melcon6 Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 12th, 2006 at 03:18 AM
Merme, I love the shamrocks turning into coins! How clever! thumbup
Posted By: Merme Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 12th, 2006 at 03:27 AM
Thanks, Mel!

The kid and I had such limited resources in those days and barely any stuff in our home, that I had to get pretty inventive to decorate for all the holidays. And I went all out for even the little holidays, making a big deal of each one, so that over years he would get familiar with the rhythm of the passing seasons.

He owned a big Tiny Tots double sided easel in those days with a huge pad of newsprint paper on one side. I'd tell him the story of whatever holiday it was, and draw basic pictures in marker to illustrate. Then he would color them in and show off his holiday art to everybody.

Our neighbors thought we were crazy to celebrate EVERY holiday to the fullest, but we had to do fun stuff whenever we could as it was his only chance to be a kid.

Merme
Posted By: ksgardnr Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 12th, 2006 at 03:37 AM
What a wonderful & creative mom you are Merme kissies , Maxi is so lucky to have been blessed to have you as his mom. I am really enjoying seeing all of your pics, and love Papa's hair!
Posted By: chenno Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 12th, 2006 at 08:38 AM
Enjoyed all the pics:-) nice to put a face to the person:-) they are all good and fun pics:-)
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 12th, 2006 at 08:48 AM
Very nice Pictures Merme!! I agree nice to put a face to all the imagination..
Posted By: angelblossom Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 13th, 2006 at 03:56 AM
your not done are ya Merme??? I wanna See more! cool
Posted By: Merme Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 13th, 2006 at 04:12 AM
Dianne ~

I'm "done" until I can get photobucket to re-size things for me. It keeps insisting they ARE resized, no matter what, but they didn't show up here in the correct size and afgrey had to go and edit every single one I put up AFTER I resized them all in photobucket.

Merme
Posted By: angelblossom Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 13th, 2006 at 04:24 AM
I was looking for some to post and scanned some and put in photo bucket then I went to edit (sizing) and clicked on web site size if I clicked on size recommeded for here they turned out too big too ,but said the size was right so I went a size smaller for websites I haven't tested it yet but will in Bustagut thread Duh
Posted By: angelblossom Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 13th, 2006 at 04:40 AM
Merme It did the same thing to me eek eek
I took it down to 236 x320 and it was STILLL Big! Can't figure that one out!!
Posted By: Bestofour Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 13th, 2006 at 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Merme:
took him to have his hair cut at age 7, a woman turned to me and asked

did Papa ever get a haircut? wink
Posted By: Merme Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 13th, 2006 at 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Bestofour:
did Papa ever get a haircut? wink
NOPE.
Posted By: hisgal2 Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 13th, 2006 at 01:34 PM
Merme, photobucket was doing the same thing to me, so I started resizing my pictures on HP Image Zone.....it was installed on my computer the same time I installed stuff for my camera. Does your computer have any kind of photo imaging programs in it...maybe something was installed when you set up your camera or scanner??
Posted By: Merme Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 13th, 2006 at 01:36 PM
I have adobe photoshop, Jenn, but it seems very complicated.

Merme
Posted By: Bestofour Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 15th, 2006 at 09:01 AM
Anyway, Maxi was a cutie then and is a cutie now.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 15th, 2006 at 09:37 AM
Thank you for sharing! I love the pictures. They grow so fast. I think it's wonderful that you celebrated every holiday and I love the shamrocks! Maxi is a very lucky little man to have you.
Posted By: sibyl Re: MERME & MAXI - Photos - November 15th, 2006 at 11:28 AM
i loved all your pic's merme!
wow Maxi had some hair, took my BB 2 years just to get a peach fuzz!,Maxi looks so much like you!
thanks for sharing your pics
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]