A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Merme Prayers For Maxi, Please! - February 7th, 2006 at 12:00 PM
Hi everyone ~

Please say a prayer for Maxi. We are on our way to the ER in about 15 minutes when our ride arrives.

At 4:30 this afternoon, Maxi went running across our living room wearing only his socks on his feet. He is unused to hardwood, highly polished floors, and took a bad tumble, banging the side/back of his head against the door frame.

This happened just as I was pulling into our lot after my big medical appointment this afternoon. One of his new friends came running to the car to tell me Maxi was inside the house crying because he'd hurt himself in a fall.

When I got inside, Maxi was sitting in a chair with an ice pack on his head, crying. Then he put the ice pack on his belly because he said the pain in his head made him feel slck to his stomach.

He laid down on the couch and fell fast asleep. I could not get him awake enough to eat his dinner or to easily respond to me. Finally, I got him up a little bit ago -- after him being on the couch out cold for 6 hours! and had a hard time getting him to talk to me.

My friend decided we should take him to the ER just in case, and is driving up here. It is late, there is much driving to be done; we are all worried about Maxi. Right now he is at the table, trying to have a bite to eat.

This is especially concerning because Maxi is hyperactive only in the evenings and it is SO UNLIKE him to sleep so many hours like this and be so hard to awaken.

So say a prayer for my son, won't you? and I'll let you know what the doc says when we get back.

Thanks!

Merme
Posted By: jonni13 Re: Prayers For Maxi, Please! - February 7th, 2006 at 12:02 PM
Prayers, Merme. Take care of yourself as well.
Posted By: Patty S Re: Prayers For Maxi, Please! - February 7th, 2006 at 12:04 PM
Merme, my prayers are with Maxi & you.
Keep the faith.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Prayers For Maxi, Please! - February 7th, 2006 at 12:05 PM
Many prayers for your little Maxi.... kissies
Posted By: mrsmessy Re: Prayers For Maxi, Please! - February 7th, 2006 at 12:09 PM
urgent prayers are being said on your behalf - please let us know what is happening as soon as possible.
Posted By: Dixie Angel Re: Prayers For Maxi, Please! - February 7th, 2006 at 12:10 PM
Prayers are being said for Maxi, Merme, and you, too!

Dianna
Posted By: Triss Re: Prayers For Maxi, Please! - February 7th, 2006 at 12:12 PM
Prayers being said for Maxi. I do hope he is ok. Please let us know as soon as you know anything.
Posted By: Nana's11 Re: Prayers For Maxi, Please! - February 7th, 2006 at 12:12 PM
kissies angell angell angell angell Many Prayers for you both---!
Nana
Posted By: MissJamie Re: Prayers For Maxi, Please! - February 7th, 2006 at 12:20 PM
OMG merme that is sooo scarey! I hope everything turns out ok! ya'll will definately be in my prayers! please let us know something as soon as you can!
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Prayers For Maxi, Please! - February 7th, 2006 at 12:40 PM
Merme - I hope Maxi has come around by now, and that all your worries are gone. Sending the strongest wishes and love out to you and Maxi! kissies
Posted By: Merme Re: Prayers For Maxi, Please! - February 7th, 2006 at 02:22 PM
We just got back. Maxi is going to be just fine!

He has a mild concussion and she wants me to watch him over the next 24 hours for certain symptoms. If they develope, I am supposed to bring him back in for a CT Scan.

I was delighted because I know the physician who is on duty tonight. This little, local hospital to us is very small and not very well staffed, so for big stuff we always to go to the big city hospital. But tonight we opted for the little one that is nearby.

And I was so relieved to see who was working there because this woman is top, top notch -- one of the best ER docs I've ever met, in fact. She has a very nice manner about her, listens with exquisite carefulness, evaluates and then spins out her very educated opinion in a way you can easily follow. Her style alone is quite helpful when you are either the upset and scared patient or the upset and scared parent! I trust her a great deal and could not have hoped for any better doc to evaluate Maxi tonight.

Thanks for your prayers; they meant the world to us, as always.

Merme
Posted By: Triss Re: Prayers For Maxi, Please! - February 7th, 2006 at 02:31 PM
Merme,

I am so happy to her that Maxi is going to be ok. My first thought was concussion. Glad to hear it is mild. Hope that the two of you have a restful what there is left of the night. And I assume you are keeping him home from school in the morning? Ans when he is feeling better a lil tiny talk about hardwood floors and socks. That is just too scary!

Let us know how you are both doing in the morning.
Posted By: mrsmessy Re: Prayers For Maxi, Please! - February 7th, 2006 at 02:36 PM
Glad to hear that turned out so well. A little headache is a life lesson and so much better than it could have been. Take care and rest tonight and hope you have a peaceful day tomorrow.
Posted By: Merme Re: Prayers For Maxi, Please! - February 7th, 2006 at 02:39 PM
Oh, here's something else she explained to me...

children can react very differently than adults with similar head injuries, which is why it is always a good idea to have them evaluated even if they AREN'T doing the "standard" head injury behaviors we are familiar with in adults.

She said kids can do all manner of whacky things... some get really aggressive, others get passive. Some get hyper and others will sleep. With kids there is no "typical" response to a severe blow to the head!

I was also relieved she was able to actually SEE the area of the injury, digging down through all his massively thick hair. I could not eyeball it myself, though I found it with a gentle touch that made him scream a bit. The skin is bruised and broken but did not require stitching.

Yes, I will be keeping him home tomorrow.

Merme
Posted By: Patty S Re: Prayers For Maxi, Please! - February 7th, 2006 at 03:07 PM
Another prayer answered, Merme. kissies
Posted By: tamara Re: Prayers For Maxi, Please! - February 7th, 2006 at 08:10 PM
Really scared me there Merme, prayers are sent for a speedy recovery for Maxi. Maxi maybe today can be a day for taking it easy and cuddling with mom.
Posted By: princessazlea Re: Prayers For Maxi, Please! - February 7th, 2006 at 08:46 PM
Hi Merme wavey
I'm glad Maxi is ok. How is he today?
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Prayers For Maxi, Please! - February 7th, 2006 at 09:13 PM
Oh, wow, Merme...I'm so glad Maxi is OK!
It scared me when I saw this topic...I'm so glad it's not as serious as it could have been.

Cindy
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Prayers For Maxi, Please! - February 7th, 2006 at 09:20 PM
So glad you were comfortable with the doctor Merme, and that Maxi will be just fine!

Give him a hug for me, ok? kissies
Posted By: JV Re: Prayers For Maxi, Please! - February 7th, 2006 at 10:10 PM
Merme sorry I just saw this as I wasn't on late at work. Prayers for Maxi that all will be fine and for you to have comfort knowing it was not serious. You do know don't you that little boys have harder heads the little girls? I raised some of both seemed like one of the boys was always getting some kind of hit on the head. Glad Maxi is going to be ok.
Jimmy
Posted By: Merme Re: Prayers For Maxi, Please! - February 7th, 2006 at 10:51 PM
Thanks you guys. I so appreciate your interest and concern.

Maxi got up this morning with a headache and when he raised his arm to hold his head, I saw his elbow. WOW! He has a massive really dark bruise on the elbow of the same side he hit his head. He never even felt it when he whacked his head, but I'm guessing that also may have lessened the blow to his skull.

So far, he is not showing any of the scary symptoms she told me to watch for today. He is taking it easy and not being his usual exuberant self, but I think he will be just fine.

I had to laugh though, after he talked to his dad on the phone, he hung up the call and said "Note to Self: Don't Do That Again!"

I admit, too, that it all made me feel like a careless parent because of course he was home alone when it happened! True, I was just pulling in the lot, but still.

Also, I sometimes forget that Maxi often takes my instructions very literally, very seriously. I must always be quite careful HOW I phrase things for him because he takes it so to heart.

On the topic of not letting his friends in, I told him to not even answer the door -- that if he saw anyone on the porch just "run to your room!" I didn't want him to get stuck trying to explain and I wasn't home and he wasn't allowed to let them in or go out to play. I shouldn't have said "RUN to your room" because that's exactly what he did!

So we've both learned a few things.

And my friend Rich (my best friends boyfriend) is a real sweetheart for driving 40 minutes on the turnpike here to get us and take us 1/2 an hour back toward his place, hanging out in the ER, driving us home and then heading back to his place... knowing he had to be up at 5 to get to work today! He said "Some things are more important!" Nice guy. Wish Angel would give in and marry the Dude!

Merme
Posted By: Merme Re: Prayers For Maxi, Please! - February 7th, 2006 at 10:53 PM
Oh yes, one other thing...

In the ER last night, he said "I do not like to complain... but I can!"

laugh laugh laugh laugh

Merme
Posted By: Nana's11 Re: Prayers For Maxi, Please! - February 7th, 2006 at 11:26 PM
Wow Merme,
I sure hope Maxi are resting and doing okay today- what a scare for you both- not to mention - us aunts ,uncles and nana's all over the country-
I think some kids just do listen to things more literally than others- I know I have to watch what I say or how I say it to the g/s's .... if I just mention something they will take it as a promise....... or is that just a male thing.....?
Sure glad he had his guardian angel watching out for him.....he needs some slipper socks with grippers on them.....
Nana
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Prayers For Maxi, Please! - February 7th, 2006 at 11:28 PM
Sending my prayers for Maxi,
soooooo glad he is okay..
Gosh that would really scare the heck out
of me if that happened... *not kinda waking up part* scarey....

Gonna have to get him those socks with the
tread stuff on the bottom of it, huh?? wink laugh thumbup thumbup
Posted By: jonni13 Re: Prayers For Maxi, Please! - February 8th, 2006 at 12:00 AM
S nuck in here at 2:30 am my time to see if there was any word. I went back to bed and slept much better the second half of my night. Now take care of both of you, Merme. Prayers are still out there for both of you.
Posted By: Meg Re: Prayers For Maxi, Please! - February 8th, 2006 at 12:38 AM
Oh my Merme.. I'm sorry to hear Maxi was hurt like that. I know, my own girls tend to like to scoot around in socks and try to slide when possible. Fortunately for me, my floors are crap, and I keep them sufficiently sticky with coffee spills, etc, for traction. wink laugh

I'm glad to hear Maxi is mostly ok, if not a bit tender.

Meg
Posted By: Triss Re: Prayers For Maxi, Please! - February 8th, 2006 at 12:53 AM
Merme, Glad to hear that Maxi is doing better today. Hope he continues to recover!
Posted By: mrsmessy Re: Prayers For Maxi, Please! - February 8th, 2006 at 03:52 AM
You can continue to ice his head (and elbow) for 20 minutes every few hours for 48 hours and the bruising will heal more quickly.
Posted By: Fernie Re: Prayers For Maxi, Please! - February 8th, 2006 at 04:01 AM
Yep the ice is a good idea! And new rule...

NO RUNNING IN THE HOUSE!!!!

I am amazed that all that hair didn't protect his little noggin.

So you past the adrenelin rush yet Miz Merme?
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Prayers For Maxi, Please! - February 8th, 2006 at 11:06 AM
I'm So Relieved that Maxi is okay! I used to tell my girls(who were truely tomboys)
"Another lesson learned in the School of Hard Knocks">> They were forever having me rush to emergancy rooms.. during grade school years
I understand about having the Perfect Angel there to attend to your Child,, That's a calming factor all by itself and Helps lighten the anxiety of what might be..

Angels on you and Maxi's pillows tonight for restful sleep.
angell
Posted By: mich168 Re: Prayers For Maxi, Please! - February 8th, 2006 at 01:23 PM
Just saw this. So glad that Maxi is ok.

No more running in the house! LOL

Love, Light and angels for both Maxi and you, Merme

angell
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]