A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Thornius Snowfall - February 12th, 2006 at 02:53 AM
Our 4-6 inch snowfall last night turned out to be just a scattering of flakes floating in the air that didn't even stick and melted as soon as it hit. Anyway, here is a picture

S [Linked Image]
Posted By: mrsmessy Re: Snowfall - February 12th, 2006 at 03:12 AM
pretty - and you got more than we did.
Posted By: hisgal2 Re: Snowfall - February 12th, 2006 at 03:27 AM
its just starting here......we're supposed to get 8-10 inches...i'll believe it when i see it
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Snowfall - February 12th, 2006 at 03:29 AM
Thorny, that's a good thing right? My friend is actually upset that she isn't going to get a foot of snow. She lives about 2 hours away from me...I told her she's shk There is a really big one back there behind the snow!
[Linked Image]

Just laying on the grass.
[Linked Image]

And starting to look pretty on the trees.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Snowfall - February 12th, 2006 at 03:30 AM
ahh~ohhhhhhh, does this mean it's heading up
this way toooooo..???
I hope not...
ters eek :p
It's getting to be toooooo much already from before...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Snowfall - February 12th, 2006 at 03:33 AM
I did see how they were calling for blizzard conditions in NYC....but not sure if it make it over near you or not Weezie..... Duh

I'm surprised your snowblower hasn't died from overexertion! laugh
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Snowfall - February 12th, 2006 at 03:39 AM
I really hope it stays that way to be honest....

I did pull off the track the last time..
Took me and the hub about an half and hour to get it back on to finish...it was snowing so hard we barely could see anything but a couple of street lights, piercing thier little area of light..

*I think it's being worked to death, the belt thingie sounds like it's slippin' now too*
it's just been so much amount and wet underneath it..

I'm going out now to take a peak if it's doing anything and let the dog out to go potty....
Posted By: hisgal2 Re: Snowfall - February 12th, 2006 at 03:51 AM
I don't think its at you yet, Weezie. It seems to have a line going through the bottom half of PA right now. ...it JUST got to us...literally...only tiny flakes (my poppop used to say that little flakes mean a big storm). We're not supposed to get heavy snowing until about 6 or 7 tonight.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Snowfall - February 12th, 2006 at 04:07 AM
I went out to do the dawggggg...
and it wasn't too bad...
the sun was sorta peakin' out, half tiny bit..
*it's almost a good skiing kinda day.. warm*ish*
but not so warm youre' over heating when skiing..

But as I was just comin' in... there were a few,
and I mean a few, gently falling teeny~tiny flakes..

I am hopin' everyone that way~~~~~~~~~>E keeps it..

***Jenn,
Poppop..... that is sooooooo cute.. I love that name...
(our boys call my husbands' father, Bom~pa!!!
Grampa Bom~pa!!)
Posted By: BeckyB Re: Snowfall - February 12th, 2006 at 04:18 AM
So what's the latest news of the snowfall for everyone on the northeast coast? We're supposed to get it tonight, but it is completely clear, blue and sunny right now, has been all day.
Posted By: hisgal2 Re: Snowfall - February 12th, 2006 at 04:20 AM
up to 10 inches here....just NW of Philly bout an hour

weezie...i had a nanny and poppop and a granny and grandpop. laugh
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Snowfall - February 12th, 2006 at 06:05 AM
Snow Emergency in effect starting at 7:00pm....
It's effecting the whole East Coast... sca shk
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Snowfall - February 12th, 2006 at 06:46 AM
Hi all - it started snowing here right at 5p.m., but is not sticking to the roads yet. The grass is starting to become covered...

I have to go pick up Amy and Nikki now - they were invited to a girlfriend's Valentine's Day Tea Party - 14 girls, semi-formal attire required!
Like that?

I'm sure she won't give me any details, but if I do manage to get any, I'll let you know.
Posted By: MissJamie Re: Snowfall - February 12th, 2006 at 08:32 AM
yay! snowwwwww!! this is what it looked like in my yard cool clp wink [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

I hope the pics don't come out to big!!! :rolleyes: I'll try to get better pics tomorrow...I'm gonna wake up and build a snowman tomorrow too laugh
Posted By: MissJamie Re: Snowfall - February 12th, 2006 at 08:37 AM
ack!! way to big! lemme try to fix it...sorry about that bill I didn't do it on purpose frown
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Snowfall - February 12th, 2006 at 08:37 AM
We have a good bit now...I'd say 5-6 inches worth.

That's funny MissJamie.........My 4 year old niece is at moms tonight and she asked me what we could make with the snow in the morning.... laugh

Snowplows are out in full force.

For some reason I can't get--It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas--out of my head.....This should've been here in December.
Posted By: MissJamie Re: Snowfall - February 12th, 2006 at 08:50 AM
I can't make my pics small enough eek eek I tried to fix it like 30 times frown when you go to resize it on photobucket which do you choose for the regular size like everybody else's? there's 25%,50%,75% sorry about that
Posted By: Thornius Re: Snowfall - February 12th, 2006 at 09:21 AM
Resize it using Photoshop. Go to "Image" on the toll bar and choose "Resize Picture"
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Snowfall - February 12th, 2006 at 10:09 AM
On photobucket I always resize it first with 75 percent....then click on it to see how the size looks....if it still looks to big them I resize it again... thumbup
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Snowfall - February 12th, 2006 at 10:30 AM
We use a program called INFRAVIEW or IVIEW for short..
It's really easy, if I can work it, anyone can...
Posted By: MissJamie Re: Snowfall - February 12th, 2006 at 12:29 PM
I don't have photoshop (really wish I did though!)or infraview...just the program that came with my digital camera. I'll try to resize them to 75 next time though smile
Posted By: afgreyparrot Re: Snowfall - February 12th, 2006 at 12:38 PM
For some reason I can't get--It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas--out of my head.....This should've been here in December.
Loz, I've been singing "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!" all day! laugh

Miss Jamie...You can PM the big pictures to me if you want to and I'll resize them for you...I don't mind at all.
Posted By: MissJamie Re: Snowfall - February 12th, 2006 at 01:06 PM
Miss Jamie...You can PM the big pictures to me if you want to and I'll resize them for you...I don't mind at all.
thanks cindy kissies
Posted By: obywan59 Re: Snowfall - February 12th, 2006 at 04:16 PM
I just got home from work. We've had 7 1/2 inches. I think it's probably done now except for drifting. The moon is out and it's pretty windy.

We had a dry snow here, but down in Roanoke, it was wet. Every little branch was covered with snow. It was gorgeous. I got to drive around in it for 8 hours. thumbup
Posted By: Meg Re: Snowfall - February 12th, 2006 at 08:38 PM
I haven't gone out to look with the tapemeasure, but it looks close to a foot out there. It snowed since early yesterday am, but was mostly just wetting the road, and a by late afternoon, was a dusting. We went to visit some friends about 40 minutes away, and when we left, there was maybe 2 or so inches, and the roads were just covered a bit, but not bad. When we left there to come home about 10:30pm, There was maybe 5-6" of it by then. And of course, overnight, it kept going.. and like I said, prolly looks to be about a foot.

No pics this time.. I just woke up, and no coffee yet, it's brewing, and I'm still in my nightgown..lol. Brrrr.. it's cold outside and I don't wanna open the door!
Posted By: melcon6 Re: Snowfall - February 12th, 2006 at 08:39 PM
The snow hasn't started here yet, which freaks me out even more cuz they said it would start sometime after midnite, I got to work today, heading in hope it doesn't get too bad ........
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Snowfall - February 12th, 2006 at 11:16 PM
I just heard on FOXNEWS that there was a foot of snow recorded already in NYC... and it was still snowing...

We are dryer than a bone here..
Not a drop...

I wonder how Lynne's doing in her area????
Posted By: hisgal2 Re: Snowfall - February 13th, 2006 at 12:20 AM
We got about 8 inches here. Fairly dry snow...just a little heavy to shovel. The wind was really bad early this morning...the car looks soo funny! I took a picture of it for you all to see...it looks like its speeding through the snow with snow blowing off of it....but that's how I found it this morning! laugh

Well, I think I'm gonna have to post the picture later. Photobucket must be having problems...I can't get it to resize my picture.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Snowfall - February 13th, 2006 at 12:27 AM
I just saw a map of the storm,
it missed us by a longggggggggggggg mile..
It's only the tip of the East lower part of NY..
Coool... we'd had enough... for now anyways..

I do hope everyone is alright..
They said in parts it's blizzard conditions..

They can be tricky..driving in them, especially
when it's blowing and the snow is really light..
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Snowfall - February 13th, 2006 at 01:14 AM
Hiya Weezie!

I wonder how Lynne's doing in her area????
[Linked Image]I just posted this picture in the CH - it's the only one I could take - can't open any of the doors because the snow falls inside, and the windows are all pretty much covered with blown snow - it's soooooo windy!!! I can deal with the snow, but really DETEST the wind!

Glad it missed you, Weez, and that the others didn't get this one tooo badly.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Snowfall - February 13th, 2006 at 01:25 AM
I am very grateful that it didn't come this way..
*I'm still pooped from the other times I was out,
I swear, I get sick/cold like symptoms everytime I use that machine...

Keep warm Lynne, good excuse to sit and read those gardening magazines.. and have some hot cocoa...*actually think I'm gonna go sneak a cuppa one right now... think I could make one without the boys seeing it??? hahahahaha, yeah right!
Posted By: Triss Re: Snowfall - February 13th, 2006 at 01:49 AM
I am LOVING all of the snow pics. Please keep sharing!!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Snowfall - February 13th, 2006 at 02:00 AM
We had about 6 inches, but it's all starting to melt away already. The roads and sidewalks are mostly clear already.

My sister is training for a new job down near Fairfax VA and said they had about 11 inches.
Posted By: BeckyB Re: Snowfall - February 13th, 2006 at 02:51 AM
It started snowing here about 11:30am. It's the little itty-bitty snowflakes but they are coming down fast and furious, the wind is wicked. The ground is slowly getting more and more white, instead of brown and yellow.
Posted By: tamara Re: Snowfall - February 13th, 2006 at 05:39 AM
Big flakes, small storm
Small flakes, big storm

We are getting small flakes. Only getting about a foot though, that's a small storm for us. Hope everyone is o.k.
Posted By: melcon6 Re: Snowfall - February 13th, 2006 at 08:36 AM
I just made it home from work, the roads are quite treacherous, I went really slow and only saw about 6 cars the 8 mile trip. It's dark so I can't get pics right now, will try to tomorrow. Our snow pretty much looks like what lynne got, 6-8 inches with lots of drifting.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Snowfall - February 13th, 2006 at 11:47 AM
That's alot of snow that side it getting..
NYC with over a foot, that's crazy!!! perpl
Posted By: khaadu75 Re: Snowfall - February 13th, 2006 at 02:16 PM
Reading all your posts regarding snow makes me jealous as my apple trees are dying for snowfall .. the only snow we had was about 4 inches and that too on the 1st Jan --- since then we had rain for 2 entire days and thats it.

If it doesn't snow I'm pretty sure our apple crop will be a total wipe out due to lack of moisture which the soil gets due to snow.

Keepig my fingers crossed that the cold wave does materialise .. or you ppl pls pray and send the snow my way !! I'll be more than glad to accept it .. even 5 ft wud be gladly accepted ... clp clp
Posted By: melcon6 Re: Snowfall - February 13th, 2006 at 05:26 PM
Khaadu, I'm praying for you to get some snow! thumbup
Posted By: tamara Re: Snowfall - February 13th, 2006 at 07:47 PM
Khaadu, I have well over 8 ft here so far. How much do you want? we'll probably get another 4 or 5 feet before the winter is over. That's life in the maritimes.

The news results are in:(highest snowfall amounts)
NY Central Park-68 cm
Maryland(Between Baltimore+Washington)-53 cm
80,000 people there still with no power.
Philadelphia, Pa-45 cm
Hartford, Conn and Wayne, Nova Scotia-43 cm

There are 5 planes that were heading to Boston and have made an emergency landing in Newfoundland. They will be stuck there for a couple of days because the storm is set to hit them hard today.

We will get about 30 cm from this one. As we say here 'a small storm this time'. Supposed to get another few storms by the end of the weekend. And to think that Bill is talking about planting trees. frown Sometimes life is not fair. laugh
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Snowfall - February 13th, 2006 at 09:18 PM
Well, I spoke too soon, I guess.....
about not getting any snow..
We're under a Winter Advisory today, 6"~8".

It's not from the Nor~easter on the coast,
ours is coming from over Lake Erie..
but it's here....

***Got Meals~on~Wheels today... snowy and blowy..
Oh, well, those nice hot meals and smiling faces are sooooooo worth the yucky driving.. kissies thumbup
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Snowfall - February 13th, 2006 at 09:48 PM
We've had enough snow this year, to just be called snow. It barely covered the grass, as dry as it's been even snow would be nice.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Snowfall - February 13th, 2006 at 10:50 PM
Ours has been so strange,
we're in that Storm Warning right now,
6"~8" today expected...
Then by Thursday, it had RAIN!!
Go figure!!!
Posted By: mrsmessy Re: Snowfall - February 13th, 2006 at 11:05 PM
We continue to be underwhelmed here with about 12 flakes a minute - however it has added up to barely a dusting for two mornings. Hope you all are safe up north and can stay indoors for a while.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Snowfall - February 14th, 2006 at 02:12 AM
Originally posted by mrsmessy:
We continue to be underwhelmed here with about 12 flakes a minute
wink laugh laugh laugh

Wooowwwwwww, you'd be buried if you had our snow..
It's realllllly comin' down..
*just got back from Meals~on~Wheels.. wasn't too bad at all, got to drive my mom's car, a Subaru,
and got to ba~ha it over lot's of un~plowed driveways this afternoon...yeeeeeee~haaaaaaaa!!!!*

I do have to go out and snowblow this afternoon..
it's snowed alot and still coming down, don't want it to get tooo high in the driveway or we have to go get f~i~l's tractor to dig the 3 driveways out.. :rolleyes:
Posted By: Triss Re: Snowfall - February 14th, 2006 at 02:14 AM
Glad you made it back safely Weezie. Don't get too cold out there in the snow.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Snowfall - February 14th, 2006 at 02:19 AM
Actually, it's not too cold right now,
and when I snowblow, I do have heated hand grips
that warm the dickens out of a body even in
sub~zero temps!!!
Posted By: Triss Re: Snowfall - February 14th, 2006 at 02:49 AM
I bet it does Weezie. Throw a snowball for me ok laugh
Posted By: khaadu75 Re: Snowfall - February 14th, 2006 at 03:13 AM
Originally posted by tamara:
Khaadu, I have well over 8 ft here so far. How much do you want? we'll probably get another 4 or 5 feet before the winter is over. That's life in the maritimes.

Tamara, I don't mind all the snow that comes my way .. 4-5-6 ft !! Everything will be gladly accepted .. We rely a lot on snow for a lot of things ( apples, drinking water supply )and for the past few yrs the weather has really changed drastically !! As a kid I remember having snow for X-mas without fail and that too atleast a foot or two .. but since 2001 its all changed mad

At this rate I'll have to cut down my apple trees and probably go in with stone fruit orchards ... and am just dreading it !!

ters ters
Posted By: MissJamie Re: Snowfall - February 14th, 2006 at 03:54 AM
here's a few more pics of our snow in the daylight...it's melting tooooooo fast because of the sun though :p :p :p :p
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Triss Re: Snowfall - February 14th, 2006 at 04:05 AM
Jamie, that is beautiful!
Posted By: khaadu75 Re: Snowfall - February 14th, 2006 at 04:18 AM
Jamie .. I'm soooo jealous !!! Nice pics though ...
Posted By: BeckyB Re: Snowfall - February 14th, 2006 at 05:44 AM
but since 2001 its all changed
Saazid (did I spell it right that time shocked )
Our weather has been really strange this year. We have had more rain than snow and that is extremely unsual for us. Usually we have below freezing weather (I guess that would be 0*C) and we've had more days above that than not. It kinda scares me. Weird things have been going on with nature the past few years. All those shark attacks in 2001, then the tidal waves, droughts, hurricanes, flooding, too warm winter weather where it should have more cold and too cold winter weather where it should be warmer.
It kinda has me a bit nervous.
sca sca shk
Posted By: khaadu75 Re: Snowfall - February 14th, 2006 at 05:49 AM
Originally posted by BeckyB:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="COMIC SANS MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="3" face="COMIC SANS MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> but since 2001 its all changed
Saazid (did I spell it right that time shocked )
Our weather has been really strange this year. We have had more rain than snow and that is extremely unsual for us. Usually we have below freezing weather (I guess that would be 0*C) and we've had more days above that than not. It kinda scares me. Weird things have been going on with nature the past few years. All those shark attacks in 2001, then the tidal waves, droughts, hurricanes, flooding, too warm winter weather where it should have more cold and too cold winter weather where it should be warmer.
It kinda has me a bit nervous.
sca sca sca
Posted By: BeckyB Re: Snowfall - February 14th, 2006 at 05:53 AM
Saazid, I will pray for you then.
kissies
I'm not a farmer, but I know the farmers in this country are having a very hard time of it and the price of produce has gone up because of this weird weather.
P.S. I don't mind at all that you corrected me!
wink
Posted By: Triss Re: Snowfall - February 14th, 2006 at 08:20 AM
Saazid, Do you irrigate at all? Would it ne more cost effective to put in some kind of irrigation system rather than start all over with a new crop that will not show a profit for years down the road?
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Snowfall - February 14th, 2006 at 10:45 AM
Great pictures, Jamie!

So interesting to learn more about your land, Saazid!

Here is a picture from "the morning after" the storm yesterday! It's of an adirondack bench that Don made last summer. This bench keeps getting blown over in the wind this winter - didn't think it was that light!

[Linked Image]
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]